2001 year model with Hydroshift transmission. Just had transmission re-built (but no new clutch pads as they were fine). First 3 hours or so of pushing is fine. Then Trans Temp starts climbing and gets too hot. Idling back and pushing lighter stuff does not help much. About only way to cool off is idle down and part it for a while. Of course, when start back pushing, it gets hot much quicker, since everything is already warmed up. All normal 'stuff' has been checked. Fluid levels, good fan shroud. One exception is transmission cooler. I not sure if mine even has a xmission cooler. I can get a good 3 hours of pushing with it. After that, it's push a while, then let it cool down, push a while, cool down. Not very productive. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Cooler is a good place to start. If you dont know it is there then it is probably full of dirt. Look in front of radiator.
Does engine get hotter than normal? I ask that because I believe the power train oil is cooled by the coolant. Id check the temp with an infrared temp. gun to start.
Temp gun is the first place to start, compare coolant and oil temps. Believe the cooler is built into the radiator and hoses hook up at the bottom of the radiator. If convertor oil is leaking into the fly wheel area, this can cause a lot of heat also.
all good advice. thanks. I started looking for an infrared temp gun today. If converter oil were leaking into flywheel area, how could I detect that?
You might see leakage at starter or barring tool hole. There is a drain under the housing, rear pan probably needs to drop unless you have extra long arms maybe you could reach it from the top.
I forgot to add - no, the engine does not overheat at all.