2001 year model. Engine has developed a definite knock or rattling. My question is, how can I tell if it is a valve needing adjustment, or if it is something more serious, such as a rod bearing knocking. If it were a rod knocking, how many operating hours, after start of knocking would it take for engine to blow? (I was pretty certain it was just a valve rattling, so I've operated it 20-30 hours since start of knock. It has gotten slowly but steadily louder. But, you cannot hear it all the time...Mostly when Dozer is in a strain). Thanks for any tips. Stacy
I'd cut the oil filter open, spread out the pletes and look for metal fragments. I also would not run it until you figure it out
thank you. that sounds like good advice. I will either do that, or take and oil sample to be analyzed. thanks again.
First make sure there is no metal in the oil like DPete says. Drain a little oil on a white cardboard and check it in the sun for metal. Injectors can spill fuel prematurely and by advancing timing in a sense cause a knock( dont continue to run in this situation either, have seen many of the bigger 8.3 lt. burn holes in piston from this). Valves should be pretty easy to check for lose or broken parts.