Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sucking Trash And How To Stop It

RDJ1966 ยท 2011-04-02 09:42

There has to be a way to stop a D6R from sucking trash into the radiator. We put new seals on the doors but it is getting through around the cab and coming all the way from the back. Is there some foam that should block the air coming from the back? Dead grass is whats coming in. Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1RKO2011-04-02 19:18

    HELP !!!!!!! I have the same problem. Never get bigger stuff like corn stacks or bigger leaves. But the grass and real small leaves get in all the time. I am working on some CRP ground that I am going to farm this year. I have to blow the radiator out everyday, sometimes two or three times a day. I asked NMC and they said I was the only one that ever said anything about it. (famous words) I only have 500 hours on the machine so unless something is missing I would not think something should be wore out???

  2. #2willie592011-04-02 19:41

    RDJ1966, do you have solid engine compartment doors or perforated metal doors? Are you trying to stop all entry points of air into the engine compartment that's drawing in the grass debris?

  3. #3Lee-online2011-04-02 20:29

    The only seals that totally seal up the engine compartment are machines with the waste handler arrangements added. I would find where the debris is entering and seal it up myself with foam or rubber sheeting.

  4. #4trenchman2011-04-02 20:58

    On my Dads farms packing tractor we use this, www.cleanfix.com . It works awesome. It blowes in reverse and the leaves and dust just blow out. It reverses every 20 minutes or so and you can manually push a button as often as you need to. a bit pricey, I believe it was around $3500 just for the parts but it beats getting out to clean the grill / radiator off every 15 minutes.

  5. #5trenchman2011-04-02 21:04

    Oops, That link didn't work. Try this one www.cleanfix.ca . hope this helps.

  6. #6RDJ19662011-04-02 22:37

    It has perforated metal doors and I assumed 100% of the air was supposed to come through them. Some of them have solid doors? We also are working in CRP and ground that was not planted last year. Cleaning the radiator is bad enough but I'm afraid we are going to catch it on fire. We blow it out but it all falls into the belly pan which now has been removed two times not wanting it to build up.

  7. #7RKO2011-04-02 22:53

    Mine has a perforated hood and perforated engine enclosures. I think it would over heat if everything was not perforated. I have a cheap cordless vac that I suck the stuff out of the belly pan.

  8. #8willie592011-04-02 23:06

    Have you considered installing a reversible fan? Have it suck air into the rad, then reverse the fan and blow the debris out. Just a thought

  9. #9RKO2011-04-02 23:27

    I Think reversing the fan would cause the machine to overheat faster ?? The holes in the grill are large enough that bigger stuff would plug the radiator. They run hot enough the way they are. When I have time I want to check a few things out and find out were the stuff is coming from. It seems the faster the machine is running the faster the trash is plugging the radiator. I think the trash is coming off the tracks??? and getting sucked into the engine compartment???

  10. #10Tinkerer2011-04-03 07:15

    I ran D8N dozers in those same conditions. They had a two piece door that was hinged on each side. I left only the top and bottom bolts in each door although it came from the factory with more bolts. The fan has to be blowing back into the engine compartment so that all the grass and weeds would be between the doors and radiator. Maybe a D6R radiator grill could be modified to swing from one side. I could clean the crap out and be back in the seat in about 15 minutes. And yes I had to do it many times a day in bad conditions. I have reversed a Caterpillar fan many times. It is time consuming and difficult. If one of the blades happen to NOT pop out ALL the into the locked position it can turn while running until it is flat. One blade in that condition will cause the machine to overheat in very quickly.

  11. #11informed user2011-04-03 07:40

    RDJ, this is a common problem here where we work. What series D6R do you have, I would presume it is a I. If so, there is a trash fan available through the Cat parts system, that has a curve (I know they all have curves,this is more of a hook) on the end of the blade. With the engine runnng and fan at max suction, debris will get sucker forward, hit the fan blade and centrifugal force will fling the material out and around the rad cores. Fan blade shape from the end, looks like a "j" rather that a bent"i". install of this fan requires removal of the shrouds to both left and right of the fan, allowing this debis (grass /leaves etc) to go around the radiator, rather than get stuck to it. These fans have a bead of hardfacing on the end where the debris exit, and will require replacement, dependent upon inspection. Also D8R (I) rad cores will fit into the D6R (I) should more cooling capacity be required. I have more info if req. IU