Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D51PX22

DIRT BOSS · 2020-04-27 19:44

Hi guys I have a issue with my dozer left track is much faster than right and the voltage spikes when trying to turn to that side. Dealer been trouble shooting and has no luck. They just put a new final drive on the left side and had a real hard time calibrating it. When I got it back to the site it ran for 10-15 minutes and then started acting up.. not sure if it lost calibration but they came out today and tried everything and try to recalibrate it and it would not recalibrate. I mentioned the speed sensors and they said they've never replace a speed sensor in one. Has anyone had an issue with a speed sensor on a Komatsu d51 or that family.? All the pressures are good and everything reads fine on the computer. Thanks in advance

Replies8
  1. #1Rick rohde2020-04-28 20:36

    Check your right side bottom rollers and idler they be locking up. I have seen the speed sensors go bad and found a bad harness on one. hope this helps.

  2. #2DIRT BOSS2020-04-28 20:51

    Thanks for replying The undercarriage is in excellent condition..he did a ohm test on the whole wire harness came back good today.. it will not calibrate now he's saying he thinks the pump is bad or the right side drive motor because it's losing pressure but the pressures were good prior days I don't understand..We had a HST break code.. but they're ignoring that saying it's nothing. Full power the pressure stays fine on both sides then half throttle the right side dropping.. not sure if a speed sensor would cause pressure drop.I'm so upside down in this machine right now but the way they left it it doesn't even move straight it is an operable.. What was the symptoms of the bad speed sensor? His final thoughts were the swash plate in the pump is stuck.

  3. #3Rick rohde2020-04-28 21:01

    If I remember the sensor was bad but did not show a code and one side was slower than the other. its been a while let me look at a service manual when I get time.

  4. #4DIRT BOSS2020-04-28 21:04

    OMG that would be unbelievable I've been telling them I thought of the speed sensor from the beginning and they keep ignore my request to swap them to see if it switches sides because it's a time consuming job to swap them. Thank you so much for your input!

  5. #5southernman132020-04-29 01:26

    We’ve been considering one of these machines. It just seems like theses newer series KOMATSU dozers are problematic machines. I hear they’re really nice and strong machines but seem to have issues. Having said that it seems like all brands of newer machines have issues. I definitely can’t afford that. Any input on your experience other than your current issue. Sorry for your troubles hope u get it ironed out. Good luck man!

  6. #6Ty Engler2022-10-10 23:07

    D Did you ever come up with a resolution. I am having the same issue with my machine.

  7. #7CTroy2024-04-02 06:27

    Any update on this issue? 08 51px is doing the exact same thing as described. As soon as you steer it puts voltage to the other side and left side tracks faster than the right side. Right side is weaker to steer. Once the oil gets warm it doesn’t track straight at all

  8. #8james dunn2024-10-09 12:43

    Any idea where to start , I have 08 , was drifting and now only go fwd like it’s in a bind , no metal in anything , like right side is locked up then wiggle handle may and may not act right