Hello Folks Looking for ideas to remove the eye-bolt the connects the C-arm to the crossmember on a Cat D3B. I've been struggling with this one for a few days now and have tried the hammer, heating, homemade press with a hyd jack and have gotten nowhere. any other suggestions?
You mean the one that the manual lists a 50-ton capacity hydraulic cytlinder as part of the removal tooling..? They are usually not just tight, they are ***kin tight.
Not that one the only true fire way to get that one out with out murdering it would be to take the cross bar out of the machine and press it out if I remember right theres no way to set up a ram to push on the end to get it out they are really tight. From what your saying you've done I say burn a hole though it.
"You mean the one that the manual lists a 50-ton capacity hydraulic cytlinder as part of the removal tooling..? They are usually not just tight, they are ***kin tight." ohh..Haha! That's what I was afraid of. Well, I thought about removing the crossmember and taking it somewhere, so I guess I'll try that - incredible that that is the "easy" solution!
I guess it all depends on whether you want to re-use the pin afterwards - or not, as the case may be............. Another suggestion. Even if you take the assembly somewhere and put it in a big press, you will need a couple of steel wedges to jam between the "eyes" so that when the weight of the press comes on the plates willl not bend. Because if that happens not only will you not get the old pin out, you won't be able to get the replacement new one in either ..........
The pin I'm referring to is actually the main eyebolt which attaches the C-arm to the crossmember. I'm sure the 50 ton press part is still applicable though. I've already written off the pin and have a new one on my workbench - just can't get that old SOB out of there...