Hello, We have been working away on our Komatsu with various things. One thing I have learned is Komatsu factory manuals and owners manuals are not the best. So here is what we are not sure on. PTO- We were able to drain the fluid in there. And find the location of the fill plug ( strangely hidden) . Then I found what I think is the fill level plug. 1/4 inch plug. All seemed fine. We install the drain plug. I measure out 900 ml of oil. But when we start fillign it doesnt take anywhere near the 0.9 litre specified. Maybe 400 ml before it spills out the plug hole. The manual says it should be at the lower edge. So do i leave it at that or do I draing it again. Install the plug and just put in 900 ml as specified? Track drive planetary- The manual say 1.7 litres for pc 60 and 3.0 litres for PC 60 L. I think ours is just the normal PC 60. The cover plate has two plugs in it. One near the edge and one about a third in. See pictures. If I put the one about a third in at the top it will take pretty much 3 litres. Or do I just use that 1/3 way plug to fill it and only put in the 1.7 litres? Just not sure how full those drives usually run. I have attached some pictures to help. Thanks again everyone for the advice.
Here is a video showing the general principles of doing maintenance on Komatsu excavators. The video shows larger models but the maintenance is basically the same. The plug on the side of the damper case is not for checking the oil level in the case. If you look under the pump you should see a plug with a 17 millimeter head or a small 1/8" pipe plug with a square head. That would be the oil level. It takes less than a pint of oil. The High Dash finals are checked with the drain plug at the bottom and filled to the level of the upper plug.
Hi John, great video! Looks like we did the PTO properly. I am going to try and take the covers off the planetarys drives today and replace the o-rings. One is leaking. Do you think it is ok to re-use the steel rings that hold the cover on or should I be getting new ones as well? Also how does the cover come back out to seal again after I install the new o ring and retaining ring?
As I recall the pressure of the O ring forces the cover back out. If you don't damage the ring getting it out it should be OK. That's easier said than done though. I don't think they are expensive so I would get one anyway.
Hello, Just a little update for anyone who would be doing the same repair on a HY-Dash planetary like the one on the POC-60-6. After cleaning the groove out really well. I smacked the cover plate a few times with a large rubber hammer and it moves in about a 1/16th of an inch. I used a good pick and got one end of the retaining ring out. Once one end is out the rest pops right out. I then used the slide hammer threaded into the 3/8 npt fill level plug hole. 5 slides later and the cover is off. A bunch of cleaning on the o-ring location . New big o-rings ( over $ 100 each) and it goes right back in with the rubber hammer. Fill up with SAE 30 oil. Hopefully it will seal well. Thanks for all the help.