Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu pc200 lc-6 overheating please please help

G-Pal · 2024-07-29 17:30

Hey did you ever get it figured out? I have the same machine doing the same thing. I’ve been struggling with it for years it just sits. It’s definitely a hydraulic temp issue I can let it run wide open it cools down even quicker well at half throttle it cools the quickest. My lift cylinders were leaking so this spring I finally pulled them both off and repacked them hoping it was bypassing. Didn’t change a thing in fact it’s worse this year than it’s ever been if I didn’t run it on Ho it and went easy on a cooler day I could limp it along for awhile. Mine has always had a problem with travel since the overheating started walks a little fast one way and has a slack track the other. My pumps are both putting out 250kg if I have that correct but they both out out full pressure or so the on board diagnostics tell me. I used to know the codes off the top of my head I can’t remember them now. I do know the machine is acting like it’s always under a load. I’ve had to change the rpm sensor at first that seemed to help then nothing I changed the ls solinoid at one point after speaking with komatsu one day it just about stopped walking. That made a difference for a minute literally now it walks again but it’s not shifting to high all the time. I notice I have an absolute insane amount of cavitation in the line from the top of the ls solinoid block to the top of the pilot relief valve which I changed. I finally had komatsu come out about 3 years ago the first day the guy new less than me so they sent another tech the next day he and I spent the entire day on it the only thing we knew for sure that day was the pilot relief was sticking so we couldn’t set it but he didn’t think much of it until we were 6 hours in and found nothing else. He was going to get one and come back he called me a week later and told me JD North America poached him and was headed out west and not to bother with anyone else from the dealer. The only good that came out of that they didn’t send me the 3,800 dollar bill that I had racked up from the 2 days. I’ve heard the roter valve for the tracks could have a bad seal but it doesn’t show a lot of heat there I get the most heat at the hammer solinoid behind the cab but the komatsu mechanic disconnected the pilot line to the hammer valve which he said takes that out of the equation. Any help is appreciated.!!!!! I know about the air going around the radiator years ago when I first got it I had a overheating issue the parts guys at komatsu told me this was a big issue. I almost laughed when he told me $400 for new foam kit. I’d been working on my own equipemnt for years but I was a to smart for my own good 20 something year old kid back then so I bought a water pump instead. You can all guess what happen. The next day I was out getting foam bars making new blocks. Ran cool as a cucumber for the next 10,000 hours. Yup it’s high hour machine around 13k but I have had them with 20k no issues. One last thing the ls control valve is leaking a little oil from the plug wires it still rings out though. I’m not an electrical guy I can usually stumble my way through im ok at best. Just off the top of my head I think it’s shows ls front pump disconnect maybe same for rear I’ve seen someone on here before list the same codes I can’t find the thread. I’m tempted to change the pump controller but I don’t want to be one of those parts changers if I can avoid it. I did have a exhaust leak it melted the 2 plugs below it on the back of the block or head it’s been awhile but I have continuity through the plugs or did when I checked last. I’ve spent a 100 hours on this going on circles reading and trying that was along time ago when I new even less about electrical. I’m getting good cooling through the radiator with 20 or so degree differential I know it’s a load issue as I mentioned it black smokes a little and I can hear it. I hope someone can help thanks in advance

Replies3
  1. #1Joshua Dykstra2024-08-06 18:08

    Not an expert but our 220-6 had some similar issues. One issue was the aux circuit (foot pedal) stuck open. Simple fix. Loose belt (the tensioning system is awful, and we bought a shorter belt. That helped. And there is a valve under the hydraulic filter that diverts oil to the cooler. That can get stuck. I think we took the guts out of it and it allowed it to circulate at least. Hope that helps. Also google 200-6 monitor codes for how to run codes on the monitor.

  2. #2G-Pal2024-08-16 16:11

    Thanks I don’t think my cooler is getting oil so that is extremely interesting.

  3. #3G-Pal2024-08-16 16:24

    Thanks, unfortunately I’ve spent more time running codes than the machine is worth. The system they have in the servise manual for diagnostics is whacky at least part of it. The valve under the filter is extremely interesting it’s been in the back of my mind weather the oil cooler has even been getting the oil. This problem kind of occurred after I changed the oil cooler I had repaired it way too many times. I finally put an aluminum one in. Part of me has been wanting to pull it to make sure my guys didn’t leave a plug in when I wasn’t looking. There is some kind of rotary pump looking thing I think in line to the cooler if memory serves me right and I think I build a **** load of heat there makes me wonder if it can’t make it back to the tank. I’ll be pulling the guts out of my valve as well. It’s an old girl it doesn’t owe me anything but it’s just one of those things of I don’t figure it out it’s going to bother me for the rest of my life. God only knows why I’m stuck on it. I don’t want to send it to a sale and make it someone else’s problem or sell it the way it is she runs like a top doesn’t turn a half turn and it’s running it would show well I just don’t have it in me to hurt someone else so that leaves scrap or the bushes I’m not big into cutting up my own iron so. Thanks