I'm looking to buy a mini excavator for a project coming up next spring. I've got some time to shop around, but one machine that caught my eye is a 2007 PC27 mr-2 with low hours. Most likely, I'll hold off buying until after the new year, but I figure now is a good time to learn about my options. I'm interested in hearing feedback from anyone who has operated one and better yet, somebody who owns one. Speed, productivity, stability, cab comfort, controls...what do you think about it? Is this machine prone to overheating in hot conditions? I couldn't find anything on Komatsu's website about lifting capacity. I don't plan on using it as a crane, but I will be fitting it with a thumb and want to know what it can lift comfortably.
I've never ran one but if it's in good shape and you like the price I'm sure it would be just fine. I'm sure with minor exceptions it is as good as any other brand. Get the thumb. The lift chart is here; http://www.komatsuamerica.com/?p=equipment&f1=view&prdt_id=967
I owned a PC30mrx-1, which was very close in size to the newer PC27mr-2. I put almost 4000 HARD working hours on that little thing. For me it was a very good performing mini and had smooth controls. Never had any overheating issues. Hydraulic lifting is good on these units but you might want to add more counterweight if you are picking heavy with the thumb.
I appreciate the input, guys. I passed on that particular machine. I found a couple other ads for the same model with same specs and near identical prices. What I thought was a one time good deal appears to be market price. It can wait until I get closer to starting my little project.