Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

mclaren hybrid track questions

Jim Dandy ยท 2009-11-09 18:51

Just bought a pair of Mclaren Hybrid steel tracks with bolt on rubber pads for my Yanmar Mini Excavater VIO 35-2. I have concerns that the idler is not fully engaging the track chain. Look at the pictures and tell me what you think. I can stick the tip of my index finger between the chain and the bottom of the idler. Also, take a look at the roller pictures and see if you can tell if they look alright. The tracks shipped are too short and Mclaren is sending me an extra master link. Is that a good solution to the problem. So far Mclaren has been very helpful in all of this. Thank you for your time.

Replies4
  1. #1heavylift2009-11-09 19:19

    Just a thought maybe they sent the wrong ones... or Yanmar changed something mid model year....

  2. #2Jim Dandy2009-11-10 22:23

    Thought I would follow up with the forum. I put a new idler in and the clearance between the chain and the idler is much tighter. I think the shoulder of the original idler was significantly worn.

  3. #3QuickTrax2009-11-10 22:44

    Jim, I deal w/ tracks all day and the first pin and bushing to wear out is the master pin and master bushing. The bottom of the links should ride on the idler. I can't see your roller picture good enough to give my opinion. Knowing undercarriage parts are expensive, I would let them know that they need to send you the correct chain and link count. They are probably sending you two links w/ a master bushing pressed in and two master pins to extend the chains. This is a quick fix on their part. You should ask if you can send the chains back and get the correct chains w/ the correct link count sent to you. I have nothing against McLaren and I haven't had any dealings with them but thats not the correct way to handle it. We have made this same mistake before and we travelled 5 hours w/ a portable press to extend the chains the correct way, not master pins and master bushings. This is just my opinion. Thanks, QuickTrax

  4. #4Jim Dandy2009-11-11 12:30

    Quicktrax, thank you for the info. I pulled the idler out yesterday and took the grease fitting completely out and got the cylinder to collapse about 2 more inches and that was enough to get the tracks on. Thanks again for your time.