Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC60-5

Greg in KY ยท 2010-08-23 11:16

What do you think? Komatsu PC60-5 excavator app. 1989 model 4,520 hrs manual thumb advertised as "good running condition" 24" & 36" buckets Door damaged- will not latch all glass gone except top part of windshield and back glass(kids broke the rest out while on a job site) Key switch does not work-short starter to start 1 quart/day leak on boom cylinder otherwise dry $8,500.00 I want this for clearing fence rows (up to 8" trees)and general playing with on my farm. What other questions should I ask and what should I look for? Any weak spots particular to this machine? Where do I find the general specs for this machine? I've not had much luck with Google for the PC60-5. Thanks, Greg

Replies4
  1. #1MrElectric032010-08-24 20:24

    What is your backround? Do you have any equipment experience or will you be calling someone else to repair it? Whats the undercarriage like? Sounds like it maybe a good buy for your farm but ive seen them cheaper and it will nickel and dime you to death if you are going to have someone else do the repairs that it will eventually need. I love that they know it leaks a quart a day from the cylinder...lol

  2. #2Greg in KY2010-08-25 09:32

    Mr. Electric03(Did your wife give you that name?) Thanks for the opinion. It is about what I expected but of course wanted to hear that it would run flawlessly -forever. I've got some experience working on farm equipment and a Case 580C backhoe I have. Anything semi-major I get a pro. I have found that to be overall cheaper and fixed correctly the first time. I have had operator experience but on larger hoes. I just want this to more or less play with. My idea of playing is outside smelling dirt rather than inside smelling grease and oil. He said the sprockets looked OK and still had square tops- had never had the track come off the sprocket. I don't believe I will drive 4 hours-one way to look at it. I believe I will need about a $25,000 machine to get something that I shouldn't have to work on all the time. Plus a little bigger would be better- and controls at the armrests. I appreciate your time.

  3. #3MrElectric032010-08-25 20:10

    Nope, happily unmarried at the present time Anything made by man will break. Most machine like that will often need an o ring here or a bracket welded there every now and then. Its much easier if you are capable(obviously). Good Luck!

  4. #4amunderdog2010-08-25 20:27

    They always told me; "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Have a mechanic you can trust inspect the machine. Maybe someone here can explain the costs and proocess (maybe even a referal) for hireing this service.