I just bought a 1995 PC95-1 to fix up and keep for awhile for use around my house/shop. I have some time on an older 40 class machine, but this is the first excavator I have owned and hopefully a big step up from that old one. I have inspected the machine, but don't have the machine home yet. I'm picking it up next week. I'm excited to jump into the project and trying to prepare for troubleshooting as best I can. I ordered an OEM shop manual set off Ebay. I'm looking for suggestions for what else I will need to get to troubleshoot this machine's hydraulic system. This is what I know about the machine- 8k hours. Longtime owner has neglected it, when something broke it wasn't fixed right or at all. The Perkins engine seems healthy, but the throttle linkage is not right, engine only revs to 1500. all hydraulic functions seem OK for 1500 rpm. Blade and bucket pick machine up no problem. Swing seems strong and fast. I can hear the engine load down in response to pushing the boom and swing functions. The hydraulic control valves in the cab, under the travel pedals leak a lot, nearly a steady stream of oil. With the engine at 1500 and the pedals pushed all the way there's a 5-10 seconds delay then the tracks will start to move very slowly. They have no power to speak of, the machine will not turn, but it tracks fairly straight forward or reverse when both pedals are full forward or reverse. Just very slow and weak. It doesn't sound like there's any load on the engine at all when running the tracks. Am I out of line to conclude the main hydraulic pumps are probably OK given all other hydraulic functions are working OK? Does anyone know if this machine has 2 speed travel motors? I don't know how to tell. Are there any gauges, fittings, or specific hydraulic testing tools I should order in preparation to troubleshoot what's wrong with this thing? I run a machine shop and have repaired many hydraulic cylinders and some pumps/valves, but I don't have much experience with hydraulics beyond that. Thanks for any suggestions!
Did I do a poor job writing out my questions or did I put this in the wrong area?