Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubot KX040-5 question about hydraulic control of tracks

52ironman · 2026-04-04 19:23

Hope this is the right place to post this ;-) Just got my machine and have been playing with it. The sticks/pedal to control movement seem to be jump at times. I am sure its operator error If I try to feather moving forward it starts to buck like a skidsteer. Is it that I am not pushing the stick to the max or not enough rpm or?? My shop is level but the approach to go into the shop with the machine is on an incline and when it gets to that point where your in the middle of level/incline It gets harry feeling. I am not worried about tipping just trying to get rid of the bouncing part. I spent a couple hours getting used to the controls, man so much different than a backhoe. I am sure it will be better once I figure it all out Regards, Joe

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2026-04-04 19:45

    Not exactly. Your machine falls into the Compact Excavator (aka Lawns & Gardens size) rather than a full size excavator. Other that that, crack on.

  2. #2AMBMike2026-04-04 20:49

    It sounds to me like you may be entering into a feedback loop where the machine shakes a little which causes the operator to shake the sticks/pedals a little more which causes the machine to shake even more... It'll probably just take getting used to the new machine. Mini exs aren't the smoothest machines to begin with. When getting used to a new machine slow is smooth, smooth is fast...

  3. #352ironman2026-04-04 21:47

    just before this machine i had a Bobcat e35 and e40 they did not do this so I thought maybe something needed to be adjusted in the hydraulic circuit or ???

  4. #4HarleyHappy2026-04-05 10:01

    What RPM are you trying to track with? On the newer Kubotas, I have found full throttle to be better for inching along and less jumpy. May want to look into the aftermarket spring kits for the boom controls.

  5. #5BC Placer gold2026-04-05 10:25

    These smaller machines are no where near as smooth as the larger units. However, it really shouldn’t be jumping when travelling. What percentage of engine rpm are you at when this occurs? Are you on concrete when this happens? I would keep your engine rpm near 80% or so (on some machines, low engine rpm & they will tend to be jumpy/jerky) Need to feather the travel pedals/sticks really gradually. Pretty tiny movements of controls when at ‘break over’ point. Kind of difficult to explain but these smaller machines can start a bucking or jerking action if you are not really smooth on the controls.

  6. #6Deere500a2026-04-05 14:47

    2 speed travel sounds like your hi

  7. #752ironman2026-04-05 14:53

    Not in high

  8. #8Deere500a2026-04-05 15:08

    is it automatic or button select on your new machine? Past on a half day rental kobuta 17 was pretty new & was jerky. Didn't waste much time figuring out once found lever under floor mat switch it to Deere pattern

  9. #9MG842026-04-05 17:27

    A few things here. A lot of guys think the small machines are jerky because they are used to running full-size excavators. The larger the machine the slower they move, this is simple physics. You are moving so much mass it has to move slower to stay under control and not put enormous stress on the machine. Mini excavators can and do move much faster, you are moving smaller components, smaller weight over a shorter distance. Faster movement equals faster cycle times. Combine fast cycle times with sensitive controls (such as hyd over hyd pilot controls such as on Kubota and Tak) and it takes a smooth touch to work quickly and smoothly. Many machines, including the newer Bobcats have gone to electric over hydrualic controls. This by nature is not as responsive as hydraulic pilot controls and further more, many have either built in or adjustable control dampening to smooth the operators movements. I greatly prefer the hydrualic pilot controls vs electric, but it takes more skill to be fast and smooth on them. The machine does exactly what you tell it the instant you move the controls, some view this as being jerky. As for you problem with slow precise tracking this is exactly what is happening: I've never run a KX040-5, but I assume the drive system is identical to the -4's. What I find on these Kubotas (U35-4, KX121-3, KX040-4, U48-5, etc) is for very slow, low load precise tracking, like loading on a trailer, I run them at idle or just above and use a larger input on the pedals. On the job site I generally run at 2/3-3/4 throttle for most digging tasks, full throttle for heavy/production type work. Under a little load, like in the dirt or using the blade the tracking controls will be smoother.

  10. #10Nige2026-04-05 17:37

    No idea about this particular model but what (if anything) does the operator manual say regarding “adjusting hydraulic system response speed”.? On a lot of machines it’s adjustable via the operator monitor.

  11. #11MG842026-04-05 18:42

    Kubotas are straight hydraulic over hydraulic, no adjustments other than auxiliary flow rates.

  12. #12Nige2026-04-05 20:39

    Scratch that idea then…..