Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota KX121-3 thumb install

DLAWSON10 · 2020-02-07 11:44

I’m thinking about installing a hydraulic thumb on my kx121-3. I already have the steel lines ran out onto the stick that came this way from factory. But to actuate my service port it has a foot pedal in the floor. Will this work? Is this common? Or would I need to get a different joy stick of some kind. Also will I need to adjust the pressure to thumb once installed. If so how do I go about doing that? Thanks!

Replies1
  1. #1Tags2020-02-07 17:40

    The foot pedal would operate the thumb, just need to make sure to check that IF there is a valve under the side hood that changes flow from one way flow(say for a hammer) or two way flow it is set correctly for what you're using, being a thumb you'll want 2 way flow, the operators manual should cover this. The other thing you'll want to check is that if your machine came with relief valves installed in the valve bank, it may not have them since the machine did not come with the thumb. I belive if you are purchasing the Kubota thumb it comes with the reliefs, some later model 121s came with them already installed. I went through this with a 71-3 and just missed the serial # of when they started to come with them, they are not cheap either....around 3-4 hundred each....