Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Smartphone holder

Robert Whitehead · 2020-02-05 07:41

Has anyone added a smartphone holder to their Kubota mini with cab? I don't want to use the cup holder. Thanks, Bob W

Replies26
  1. #1thepumpguysc2020-02-05 18:04

    Thats the same thing I was thinking about the "WeatherTech" holders that go into the cup holder.. Theres never enough CUP holders in a new vehicle to begin with.. Theres the type that stick to the widow.. & the type that clip on the a/c vent..

  2. #2uffex2020-02-06 01:20

    Good day Maybe this one could be the answer Kind regards uffex

  3. #3Labparamour2020-02-06 10:46

    I’ve used RAM mounts in my truck and company truck- been very happy with them. https://www.rammount.com/shop-all/top-solutions/phone-mounts My Garmin suction cup will pop off with temp/elevation changes. The RAM has always held tight.

  4. #4Mother Deuce2020-02-06 11:05

    I use a couple drops of rubbing alcohol (carry some in my bag, handy for about everything) on my Garmin "cup" and it does not seem to compromise the material and it does not come off even in a Mack. Do you think the RAM will live in a machine environment? (excavator, loader, dozer, skid etc.)

  5. #5Labparamour2020-02-06 14:16

    They have screw mount as well as suction cup. Never had an issue w suction cup in a vehicle. Never tried alcohol on the rubber- just window cleaner and spit. The RAM holds solid while the Garmin falls off after a spell.

  6. #6Nige2020-02-06 14:39

    I'm just going to throw it out there that IMHO nobody should be in a position to be distracted by a cell phone when driving or operating a machine. Mine stays in my pocket.....when whatever I'm driving/operating stops moving, it comes out. Works for me.

  7. #7Labparamour2020-02-06 15:13

    I agree. We’ve had a hands-free law here in Washington state for a number of years....still see many folks driving with phone to ear. It requires discipline. I have hands-free in my pickup and headset when in company truck that allowed voice-to-text. It can still lead to distraction so I will wait for appropriate times to use.

  8. #8Nige2020-02-06 15:30

    I'm like you, still not convinced regarding hands-free. I work on the principle that no call is so urgent that I have to answer it NOW. If the caller THINKS it's urgent then they'll call back and leave a message.

  9. #9Mother Deuce2020-02-06 17:48

    I absolutely concur with you... however Maps and Ways (sp?) are better nav programs then my ancient Garmin. My old 6 plus has about the same size screen and I often use it instead of the Garmin. As far as the phone goes it is wirelessly connected to the car stereo. Touch an icon on the screen and it connects. At work I couldn't hear it if was wired to tsunami siren.

  10. #10bam19682020-02-06 20:16

    So your saying I might have been a distracted driver 'back in the day' hauling livestock all over the country.... Had my bag phone set between the seats of my peterbilt. When on the phone running the steering wheel with my left knee, holding the phone with my left hand. Notepad balanced on my right leg so i could write down directions to my destination etc... I tried setting the notepad on the dash a few times but it was easier to put it on my right leg since my right foot usually had the peddle mashed to the floor and it didn't bounce around much. That truck had tilt steering wheel which I thought was alot safer than steering with my left elbow on my previous trucks with no tilt..... Hell it's a wonder I survived. Didn't think twice about it back then.... LOL... That all being said I agree 100% with Nige...

  11. #11Nige2020-02-07 03:59

    Yeah, but we are/were the generation that can/could handle that ****....... Not long ago in the closest town to me a person died when they fell down a hole that they didn't see because their attention was 100% glued to a smartphone screen.

  12. #12RTSmith2020-02-07 14:22

    Maybe we're all on a tangent. I know Cat compact equipment now bluetooths from your phone to the radio. So maybe Robert just wants to control his tunes from time to time. And yes, like you guys I've found texting and operating do not go well together.

  13. #13DMiller2020-02-07 15:50

    My phone when on a machine, ANY Machine is in my Carpenter jeans Rule pocket or left in my Car or Truck. IN NO WAY am I going to be on my phone except a Hands Free system.

  14. #14Coastal2020-02-08 08:11

    I find it pretty easy to stop operating the machine and tend to phone calls, having to put a phone in a pocket for fear of a catastrophic disaster seems a bit over the top. I too am looking for a good phone holder, I run Bluetooth audio books and music from my phone so it has to be out, not to mention I run a second business and need to take calls regularly. I've tried a couple cheap ones and they always break or fall off.

  15. #15Mother Deuce2020-02-08 08:26

    The gentleman that I work for is a very high volume communicator. He expects you to be safe and he expects you to stop and call him when you can. If I can’t hear it... at least I can see his missed call screen. Can’t see or hear it in my dinner box and I am absolutely not putting it in a “breast” pocket for the obvious RF radiation issues. If it is stuck to the window it is away from me and the boss can still talk to me.

  16. #16highwayghost2020-02-08 09:42

    I hear that UFO sightings have decreased since the invention of the cell phone Can't wait 'til I retire and don't need to carry it all the time. If you really think about it, most of it is just a distraction from what is important at the moment. I managed to get by fine before my first one in '87.

  17. #17Blocker in MS2020-02-17 18:29

    In anything without padding on the inside of the ROPS.... Steelie Ball.... https://www.niteize.com/product/steelie-car-mount-kit.asp Great for most all enclosed cabs on dozers, graders, excavators, etc. I usually run mine head high on the post to my left. That is the only way I can hear it ring at. Glance over and look if it rings. I have had it come off once or twice, but you do not want to be in the cab when you come that sort of sudden stop anyway. Only downside is that you can stick it anywhere ferrous....side of the pickup or tool box and forgot about it. It took getting up to 60mph laying flat on the fender of my Dodge before there was enough wind velocity to overcome the magnet. Thank goodness for Otterbox phone cases. I have had it wipe cheap “homemade” fuel cards, but never a hotel key or real debit card, and had them pretty close to each other before.

  18. #18Queenslander2020-02-18 05:11

    I haven’t been brave enough to carry anything in my phone case other than a phone. I figure that if I lost the phone, away from home, I could get by without too much drama, but if I lost cards, license etc. at the same time I would be up the proverbial creek.

  19. #19NepeanGC2020-02-18 17:23

    I use a Mob Armour. Clamps the phone from the bottom corners and top, but has a big magnet to stick it to stuff. Works great in machines and the truck.

  20. #20Mother Deuce2020-02-18 17:48

    That would be bad I have seen some of what lives in the creeks down that way! Krikey!!

  21. #21Queenslander2020-02-18 20:06

    Even worse is being up the said creek without a paddle. It won’t be too long before a smart phone will be essential to communicate with machinery. We already use them to interact with all manner of things don’t we?

  22. #22old-iron-habit2020-02-18 21:13

    Hard to beat a ram mount. With the base bolted down and the adjustable phone clamp they will hold up to most anything. They will even go down with the ship(boat) when the captain bails.

  23. #23Blocker in MS2020-02-18 21:46

    I should have clarified. I do not carry all that stuff with my phone. I have been known to set my phone with the magnet on top of the cards when they were on the console of the truck though. Been known to carry my phone with magnet facing my wallet in the same hand too. No troubles with that so far. I try to be conscious of not doing that though

  24. #24Blocker in MS2020-02-18 21:48

    All the GPS screens and camera screens we run in the tractors are RAM mounted. They are great. The magnet is best for jumping in and out of multiple machines though. I have been known to have to run some of the Prime’s equipment on many, many jobs to help keep up.

  25. #25Robert Whitehead2020-02-19 06:12

    Thanks, NepeanGC

  26. #26Orest Anhel2020-02-19 15:53

    We use Ram mounts to hold iPads on helicopter windscreens with good success