Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota timing

kensmith69 ยท 2015-03-25 22:37

2006 Bobcat S-175 diesel Does anyone know where I can find information about timing my Kubota diesel engine. Ive had it to several good diesel mechanics and they say "timing" but don't know how to do it?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies19
  1. #1mikebramel2015-03-25 23:19

    I think most Kubotas the injection pump is shimmed for timing

  2. #2crewchief8882015-03-26 21:56

    what are you trying to time? :beatsme or actually, what is the problem? need some more info.... :drinkup

  3. #3kensmith692015-03-26 22:11

    Rebuilt the engine last fall after it had a runaway caused by the hydraulic oil pouring into the air filter. Its never had any power since, runs smooth , doesn't smoke seems good but as soon as you get in deep snow or going up a hill it powers out. So took it back to shop that rebuilt engine , he seems to think when it locked up it may have knocked it out of time but hes never timed a Kubota.

  4. #4crewchief8882015-03-26 22:28

    most kubotas have gear driven timing, i think thats around the time frame when emissions levels changed, and they were playing with initial pump timing. a degree or so of initial tining on the pump made a huge difference in power/torque. sure you're getting enough fuel to the engine? no pinched fuel lines, no restriction in the fuel suction tube in the tank? :drinkup

  5. #5kensmith692015-03-26 22:45

    Any way to check fuel? The engine seems to run so well is the problem. I changed idler because I knew belt slipped a bit , that was a $600 part for nothing. Machine is a 2006 S-175

  6. #6crewchief8882015-03-27 20:11

    unless theres literally no fuel getting to the engine, they will idle without a problem. low fuel supply shows it's ugly head under a load. there are several threads detailing fuel problems with bobcats, the fuel system hasnt changed much over the past 15-20 years. that is until recently with the HPCR systems. :drinkup

  7. #7willie592015-03-27 20:25

    Did the engine actually hydrolock when it dumped oil into the intake while running?

  8. #8kensmith692015-03-27 21:28

    It bent a connecting rod................badly It ran away with smoke pouring out of it, pretty scarey actually. Mines not the first one for that to happen and Bobcat knows it isn't but they play dumb about it . I found a video on Utube of the same thing happening to another one.

  9. #9willie592015-03-27 21:52

    Well, that's kinda what I thought would be the result. It sounds like you've been through an ordeal with this thing. Given the circumstances, it may be a simple problem, but it may be a complicated problem as well, for sure hard for us to say on the far side of the internet with no access to the machine, but I agree with crewchief, generally speaking, if an engine runs good and smooth, but stalls out under a hard load, that's typically a fuel delivery problem, not a timing problem. But again I say typically, I can't say that for sure with what your engine has experienced.

  10. #10kensmith692015-03-27 22:22

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QxrsJZtqC0

  11. #11kensmith692015-03-27 22:24

    Can you give me a rough idea on where to start checking fuel problems?

  12. #12Terryz2015-03-28 17:56

    Most kubota engines have an injection pump that sits in a housing on the right side of the engine; there is a camshaft under it that controls injection; there are shims under the pump body that time injection; if you put back what was there it will run. If you unscrewed the smoke screw when disassembling, you have no way to reset it. Kubota won't give a spec for this adjustment. you have to play around with it to get to run properly; unlike in a tractor where you can adjust the hp on a dyno. Also check the spring or springs from the governor arm to the rack rod. hope this helps.

  13. #13kensmith692015-03-28 19:00

    Talking to local farm equipment guy today , he thinks Im looking in the wrong place with the timing. He says fuel. Says I should hook up a can sitting up on the back and see if it changes anything. Anyone ever bypassed the fuel tank?

  14. #14willie592015-03-28 22:11

    Yes, you could do that, but you stated the machine only acts up when it's under a hard load like grading a hill, kinda hard to do with the rear door open and a fuel can hanging on the back. Does the engine ever stall out to the point it labors to run or dies completely?

  15. #15kensmith692015-03-28 22:49

    Yes it stalls or labours badly until I quit pushing on the sticks , then it catches its wind and will go some more. That's the only way I can get it up any hills , it will go but you have to give it time to recover then go again. I can stall it easily pushing. It runs at low rpms all day long when im just moving around slow pounding posts. I need it badly as Im in the middle of a time limit job.

  16. #16willie592015-03-28 23:07

    You have a fuel delivery problem. Clogged strainer on fuel pickup tube inside tank, fuel line between tank and engine sucking air, fuel line connections at primer bulb loose sucking air into fuel system, failing fuel lift pump, any one of those faults, but from what you're saying it sounds to me like you have a fuel delivery problem.

  17. #17kensmith692015-03-28 23:19

    Thank you that's a list of things I can start checking. Ive read here about the pickup tube, how complicated is that to check? The tank is under the engine isn't it? I wonder if when the put the engine back in a fuel line got squashed somewhere?

  18. #18crewchief8882015-04-02 20:13

    tank is under the engine, but the fuel pickup lines are accessable from under the cab crushed fuel line is a distinct possibilty. typically there is a "slot" molded into the tank between the engine and pumps where the fuel lines are suppose to be run. if you're not careful it's easy to pull the lines off to the side and set the engine down on them. once the mounts are tightened up it's almost impossible to get fuel through them. i think thats where i'd start looking :drinkup

  19. #19kensmith692015-04-02 21:24

    It makes sense I wouldn't be surprised as we had the engine out. Thanks ill see if I can check that out.