Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kx91

Tony_F ยท 2010-12-31 18:19

H folks, first post and I need help, what else? Happy New Year! I have a 2005 KX91 with a stripped shaft in the final drive. It turns out Kubota used 3 or even more slightly different types of final drives in that model. The nameplate on the machine calls it a KX91-3SS. According to the dealer who ran the serial number its true model is a KX91-3R1S built in Nov '05. I'm guessing the 3R1S was a mid year change or revision. So I'm on the 2nd try for a replacement center gear shaft. Any suggestions on which parts model would be the best match? Right now, it seems to be KX91-3S. We have ordered another shaft from the 3S parts book, unfortunately, the parts manuals don't have detailed pictures of the parts, so its an educated (or maybe blind) guess. I was hoping someone here had a similar experience with this model machine? Thanks, Tony

Replies9
  1. #1FWD2011-01-15 20:08

    I have a KX91-3SS according to the tag. It is supposedly a 06 model, sn 30847. I can't help with your problem as I haven't had any troubles. Let us know what happens, as someone else may benefit down the line. Good luck! FWD

  2. #2finaldrive2011-01-23 13:55

    Tony, We're the company that has the complete unit that everyone has quoted you. We had 5 calls last week about your machine. Everyone wanted us to quote a complete repalcement drive, so we have. But now I see that all you need is parts, you should deal with us direct. Email me [email protected] and I'll have one of my salespeople help you. Great pic, but I'll need more info. I am aware of the shaft differences and can probably help you from our stock. What I'll need is the tag info off of the motor. It will be a Kayaba (or KYB) brand. Get me the "MAG-**-" number off of it. If that is not on there, please provide what data is. Worst case scenario, you get me spline counts and dimensions and we do it the old fashioned way.

  3. #3Tony_F2011-01-24 09:14

    Thanks finaldrive, Yes, I believe I spoke to Dan?? I have the info written down somewhere. I had assumed it was a catastrophic failure, and was getting prices expecting to replace the unit. But once I got into it, It was just a matter of the worn splines. the hardest part of the job was drilling out the blasted rolled pins that secure the housing cover. Its got about 25 hours on the repair, so far so good. I was able to get the correct part from the Kubota dealer. I even ordered a another set of shaft/gears for spares. I've been meaning to post the info here, but have been busy. I'll try to get to it in the next day or so. The problem I have now is that the parts manual I received for the machine is dated the year before, 2004. So obviously that does not show the correct parts. Still have yet to send that back. Tony

  4. #4Tony_F2011-01-24 22:20

    Repair parts Repair parts listed in the photo... RC441-13540 gear drive RC411-73612 Shaft 66363-39560 Seal Hope this helps someone.

  5. #5finaldrive2011-01-24 22:29

    Great to hear!! Glad you were able to get it repaired economically.

  6. #6Tony_F2011-01-24 22:52

    Thanks, yes total cost for those parts in the pic with shipping was around 150. Tony

  7. #7ottawamerc2014-10-14 07:59

    Hi Tony Just found this post from you and last night I had a similar failure on my 91-3. I have not removed the drive yet but I did drain the oil and I had no signs of metal in it which makes me suspect its the same shaft as yours that failed. If you get a chance could you tell me how you replaced the shaft, disassembly etc? Thanks Scott

  8. #8Tony_F2014-11-10 11:20

    Sorry for the late response, just saw this post. I'm not as active here as in the past. In short, the sprocket comes off, remove the cover on the inside of the under carriage, then the hoses, internal bolts. Be sure to mark the hoses where they go, and the final drive will come right out of the carrier. There are 3 or four roll pins around the outside of the cover on the final drive, drill these out, then insert something into the oil fill/check/drain holes to remove the cover. I had a diagram of a cover puller, it may still be on the internet somewhere. The gears will then all slide right out. Note the order of assembly, and take pictures. No special tools were required. If you still need more info I can try to find some additional pics I might still have. The shop manuals have the general sequence too. One thing I did, just in case, is that I ordered an extra shaft for the other side just to have in on hand. My repair has held for over 1000 hours now. Again sorry to be late to the party, but hopes this help some.

  9. #9lantraxco2014-11-10 16:12

    Can't believe you got the two shafts and a seal for a couple hundred bucks. I know they're small but I'm used to seeing another zero on that for anything I work on! Cheers, Lanway