Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pin wont take grease

BLconst ยท 2010-12-28 01:38

The bottom pin on boom wont take grease. I tried to take out and it won't budge. Any ideas? How much heat and how big of sledge is too much?

Replies41
  1. #1grandpa2010-12-28 05:29

    I have a 4 ton portapower rigged up to screw into the grease zerck threads, if ya got one give it a try, lots of times the 4 tons will force the grease and grime out of the pin and save a whole bunch of work.... on the other hand, the hammer will have to be as big as need be to get the job done...lol good luck.

  2. #2RonG2010-12-28 05:38

    I keep a squirt can of engine oil in my toolbox for situations like this.Squirt the pin a couple times a day,drench it pretty good and in a day or two it will take grease.I have done this many times.Ron G

  3. #3bobcatmechanic2010-12-28 21:39

    take the pressure off the cylinder either unhook the rod end or support with another machine or hoist. then hit it square and be care full not to mushroom the head of the pin. i personally would try everything else before you get to beating on it though.

  4. #4lectro882010-12-28 23:42

    What has worked for me. I had that problem with side boom pivit on mine when I got it. I removed as much gook as I could with a tiny screw driver from behind grease fitting. A little seems to help alot. That stuff is like concrete. I know it sounds trivial, but it seems to always work, also you can hold grease pressure at fitting and have someone else full cycle, I try to not to use a hammer.

  5. #5lectro882010-12-29 00:08

    Also make sure your not fighting 2 battles at the same time. A stuck or froze up fitting and compacted gunk.

  6. #6razvy2011-01-11 07:53

    I usually try this : I remove the fitting , clean behind whit a pick screwdriver ( blow air )and squirt few times brake cleaner ,in between move the joint few times , re screw the fitting and try , make sure the fitting it's ok you ca try it before screwing back.. if not remove the pin

  7. #7Ryanrb252011-01-11 08:01

    May seem completely stupid, but food for thought...I had a simular problem, wouldn't take grease, cleaned behind the grease nipple, soaked in CRC etc...nearly got to the point where i was going to start pulling everything apart and it ended up being the grease nipple itself.

  8. #8watglen2011-01-11 08:10

    Yep, step one is test the nipple. I have a neat little tool you fill with oil, place onto the nipple, and pound it with a hammer. It drives the the oil into the nipple with considerable force. It works maybe 50% of the time. Plus its really satisfying because it avoids pulling everything apart and you get to use a hammer! (which is what you really want to do anyway

  9. #9razvy2011-01-11 08:33

    All the above ideas my work but you can get a partial grease on the pin or just one side, the 100% fix is removing the pin + nipple, clean and reinstall and grease it.

  10. #10Ryanrb252011-01-11 08:52

    When the grease groove in the bush is worn down or the pin wears the same shape as the grease groove then that can prevent grease being able to enter. But you'd know because there would be a fair **** load of play in the pin.

  11. #11cumminswillie2011-01-11 15:46

    Out of desperation because my porta power quit on me one day i made a hydraulic line and attached it to an oxygen tank. I filled the line with oil and opened op the tank. Moved the boom for about 5 minutes before the ait froced the oil through and told the operator to overgrease until it took grease everywhere. Only tried it once but, it worked.

  12. #12Lee-online2011-01-11 16:18

    I just fixed a pin today that didn't take grease. Tried to grease it with the power greaser but no go. Then i tried the grease gun we fill with solvent. No go, but after soaking for a while it started to ooze through but not enough. Then i tried the porta press and it flushed the debris right through.

  13. #13Underdog2011-01-11 18:13

    Mixing oil and oxygen under pressure was always a no no. Chance of explosion they say. Just what I heard.

  14. #14maddog2011-01-11 18:27

    I'll 2nd this

  15. #15BLconst2011-01-11 23:15

    zerk is out, its full of dirt, gonna fire up steam cleaner with 0 tip to flush dirt out. well see.

  16. #16cumminswillie2011-01-12 11:59

    I agree if a guy was desperate enough he should probably use carbon dioxide instead of oxygen but, thats all i had on the truck at the time.

  17. #17norite2011-01-12 23:39

    That's a fact, people have been killed from explosions when oxygen gets mixed with oil or grease. It can cause an explosion if confined, or else cause a fire to ignite.

  18. #18razvy2011-01-27 00:35

    I had a bad one today , I use the plumber torch to heat the nipple, wile was hot I got the gun and put pressure on it , ...worked :beatsme I know ..spring got F up , I don't care as log I got hear greased .

  19. #19packratc2011-01-27 09:38

    New member here. Trying to get in my three "tune up" posts. Have to comment that little threads like this are invaluable for all gearheads that are busting their knuckles on every variety of projects. Thanks for these. Packratc

  20. #20fast_st2011-01-27 11:27

    Hammering a stuck pin can be a slippery slope as the pin can expand when hit much like a giant rivet. Oxygen is an okay idea, if its an oxygen lance Some pins are almost too hard to drill. I have seen the hammer and oil grease fitting blaster work well. New fitting and clean out behind it seems like a good idea.

  21. #21coastaldirt2011-01-29 00:00

    I use diesel oil myself. That juice gets every, best penetrating oil and good bang for the buck. Oh ya best to clean the grease nipple bore first.

  22. #22lgammon2011-01-29 00:58

    well, i don't know if i should tell this on me and my dad. but here goes. we have an old 941b and the bottom bucket pins just would not take. well we were on a blasting job. we took the zerk out and cleaned no help then new zerk. well we just unscrewed the zerk and put a blasting cap in there. worked like a charm and didn't mess the threads either. now i am not saying you should i am just saying we did and it worked...

  23. #23sh0rtlife2011-01-29 03:30

    if youve got one big enuf..use a brass hammer it wont shroom the pin

  24. #24RonG2011-01-29 04:53

    I have said it many times but just a bath of engine oil on the pins daily for a couple of days and it will start taking grease again.It has worked many times for me.I carry squirt can in my toolbox for oiling linkeage etc and that is what I use when I have a frozen pin.Ron G

  25. #25dust eater2011-01-29 07:51

    I'll second RonG's advice, but before you try to grease the pin heat up your grease gun in the exhaust pipe for a few seconds no more than a minute or the grease will melt and have someone move the boom while you try greasing it.

  26. #26Errol2011-01-29 20:08

    I've had lots of grease nipples go bad for no reason and quit working like they are plugged. Unscrew the nipple and try a grease gun on it. No flow? Then screw in a new nipple and there you go. If you just bought this excavator and have never greased it, then I would agree with some of the aforementioned suggestions.

  27. #27Reel hip2011-01-31 11:21

    I check the zerk first. If it is good then I clean the threads and try to force air or oil into it. If that doesn't work then I pull the pin and clean it. I like some of these other ideas though. Spraying oil is a lot easier than pulling the pin. Some pins are harder to pull than others, some I would like to blast also. Easy way is to grease daily .

  28. #28fast_st2011-01-31 11:26

    I found one on my backhoe that wouldn't take grease. Supposed to be two bushings, pressed in from each side to leave a 1/4 inch gap between them, some idiot pressed them both in from the same side, blocking the grease passage. Dork!

  29. #29toomanymachines2011-02-05 22:52

    Does anyone have a link for the device that hammers the oil into a zerk? I have two zirks on my skidsteer that are not taking gease right now, trying the oil method right now. oil is better than nothing.

  30. #30BLconst2011-02-07 23:11

    fitting clearing tool http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200430913_200430913

  31. #31Taylortractornu2011-02-08 20:35

    M y1840 Had the boom pivot pin o nthe right side wouldnt take grease. It would take a little sine I had it and the pin was frozen in the boss. I tried a few things but the other day she stopped taking I ran it the day and it really aggravated me. I put a new extension hose on the grease gun and filled it up with PB Blaster. I screwed it onto the greasegun hose and pumped it. It made a loud pop and the Blaster eased out anround the pins and the gunk to. THen the grease got there. It works great. I have an old gun at work. I have a hook to hold it upside down. I put motor oil and fuel in it then drop a little grease in it and pump. Te bottom center pin on the compactor at work even though we grease it daily it some times with plug. THis works good to.

  32. #32JCB80182011-03-12 13:07

    I can tell ya one thing, I had an issue with my machine once and used that Amsoil grease. Blew me away, as I was contemplating taking out the pin, after using it it started taking grease. Also know that as important as the size of hammer, vibrating it or hitting it with reps of 3 or 5 quick blows at a time is very important. Just stay away from rap songs or you'll wreck your machine

  33. #33Scuba_Si2011-03-12 21:08

    Newbie posting here, thanks for the great ideas on how to fix this.

  34. #34bushcat2011-03-13 16:13

    I've had bucket pins that won't take grease with a regular grease gun, got ahold of a alemite cordless grease gun and it would do the trick. They say that the cordless gun will put out up to 10,000 psi. I was very impressed.

  35. #35equip guy2011-04-13 21:58

    remove grease fitting, clean out with pick, wire, cleaner as far in as possible. Take torch pref rose bud, and heat the PIN, first, then with pliers screw in new fitting, and use a good grease gun with tight tip and continue to squeeze or pump and see if there is a "release" of the clog. If there is push out old blackened grease till you see new grease comming out. If grease comes out 1 side after cycling hyd, take torch again and this time heat around the bushing. This will probably "cook your new grease that you just put in, but your trying to liquify the old dried up grease in bushings. Use caution as the grease will catch fire, and can spatter! after a minute or two, apply your grease gun again and observe the travel route of the new grease. You may have to run the machine to lossenen any left over, but continue to grease often and should be fine. I have had good luck with this method. Just remember don't heat with the zerk installed, keeping it out allows for the old to leak out and you don't cook the ball and spring. Good luck

  36. #36BLconst2011-04-16 02:37

    Well the original pin in the photo had to be air arced out, new pin and bushings for cylinder, about 700 bucks at the bobcat dealer, i spent 3 days trying to hammer, drill, heat, press and cuss at the pin. I bought machine from landscaper that didn't own a grease gun. went thru the whole machine took out all the zerks, stem cleaned everything, put new fitting in and greased her up. She gets grease every morning. Even had to change hydraulic fluid and filters three times, previous owner ran without hydraulic cap for a long time apparently. I did find two things very helpful when trying to clear fittings that I learned here and the really worked. #1 some times removing the grease zerk and treading the grease gun into fitting did the trick, using whatever adapters necessary, most of the bc ones were 1/8" pipe thread. #2 bought a cheap porta power at harbor frieght, after trying every trick listed here, i hooked it up, pumped it up as high as i could and rotated joint about 5 times, finally a bunch of rusty fluid came out of joint, then it took grease.

  37. #37Railman2011-04-25 12:31

    I have a Bobcat mini ex and the same pin stopped taking grease, but after taking out the pin the bush seems to have moved inside the ram because there is no visable passageway for the grease to get inside the bush. The bush has a spiral channel for the grease to flow around, but there is now no way for it to get to the bush inside face?

  38. #38PROBIKE1012011-04-29 20:39

    Info I enjoy reading thes posts lots of good information ............................carry on

  39. #39PROBIKE1012011-04-29 20:41

    UH O just figured out i am on probation????????????????

  40. #40PROBIKE1012011-04-29 20:43

    how do you get to junior member........?

  41. #41PROBIKE1012011-04-29 20:47

    i want to buy a 331 what pins should i be looking at before purchase?dumb probably all rite duh