Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

L150F Accessory Drive

antz · 2025-11-29 20:13

Good morning all, I need to change the accessory drive shaft on this loader D12 engine. There is no room for the shaft to come out with the pulley on it, and there is not enough room to get the pulley out by itself. Can anyone offer any insight on this? Photos are from the right hand side of the engine bay. My local Volvo dealer mechanic claims that the plate between the engine compartment and the radiator needs to be removed or cut out or massaged. This seems like an insane amount of work for the 5mm clearance that I need to get the pulley out.

Replies8
  1. #1funwithfuel2025-11-30 00:54

    For starters, I would have removed the pulleys from the drive. That said, removing the hood and bulkhead are the way to go. If you have a crane and slings, it ain't a bad job. Adds about 2½ - 3 hrs on each side. While you got her top off, feel around under her blouse. You know that overhead ain't been touched since it was built. Suppose to run it every 2k. Good luck in whatever you decide.

  2. #2antz2025-11-30 03:20

    I have removed the pulley and it is not possible for it to come out by itself. It hits the bulkhead and there is no way that I have found to manoeuvre it so that it will come out. So i cant get either the shaft, the pulley or the shaft and pulley together removed. Removing the bulkhead and cover are possible, i have a 30t digger i can lift it with but it is an awful lot of work for the 10mm of space that I need. I just find it hard to imagine that Volvo would have designed this in such a stupid way to require that much work to replace a part that inevitably will need replacing. That said, I have seen plenty of thoughtless engineering 'marvels' on machinery so it certainly is not out of the question. Another thought i had is if the shaft has crept forward slightly over time creating less clearance to the bulkhead. The shaft bearings are completely cooked.

  3. #3antz2025-11-30 03:35

    I should also add that this job has to be done outside at a sand quarry. The slightest breeze recreates a desert sand storm.

  4. #4cuttin edge2025-11-30 06:16

    Typical. Nissan puts their starter under the center head. Ford Taurus was easier to remove the engine to change spark plugs. I've seen ford super duty with the entire cab removed for engine access

  5. #5funwithfuel2025-11-30 07:44

    Agreed, sometimes engineers fit parts or components without regard to maintenance or repairs. At least the E series had tin plates you could unscrew from the frame. For all the advantages of the F, that hood and bulkhead were not so well thought out. Same with radiator service. An absolute nightmare.

  6. #6funwithfuel2025-11-30 07:45

    Would removing the fuel pump off the back side afford you any clearance?

  7. #7antz2025-11-30 19:03

    Ok so the solution was to remove the bulkhead bolts along the bottom then a 'gentle' tap with a hammer on both sides of the bulkhead toward the radiator moved it far enough to get the pulley off. The fuel pump does need to come out as the pump drive stem sticks into the accessory drive shaft way to far to get the shaft out. I might also point out that there is a bolt well hidden behind the fuel line on the back of the fuel pump that is designed to be missed and will cause significant breakage of at least the fuel pump, possibly more, without removal. One must also be careful to line up the flat end of the fuel pump drive stem into the accessory drive shaft correctly before bolting up. This is also designed to fail so you would have to purchase a new pump. Also of note, and this is only here in Australia that I know about, the accessory drive part crosses to a Volvo truck and it was 40% cheaper than getting it from an aftermarket heavy equip supplier. OEM is $1800 AUD and not in stock.

  8. #8funwithfuel2025-11-30 19:07

    Came across a similar situation with a pinion bearing in a 40 ton haul trucks. Volvo CE wanted 1200 and a back order of 3-4 months. Got it across the street at the truck shop, 350 plus freight. What a scam.