Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

laminate plate?

200lc1 ยท 2019-01-02 02:05

Looking to build some pieces (blade and ripper parts) for the dozer, any thoughts on laminating sheet to get the thickness I need? My shop tooling can handle 3/4" plate, maybe even 1", 2 to 2 1/4" not so much. Was thinking if I bought a sheet of 3/4-1" plate and mindfully stacked and welded them together I could get to 2- 2 1/4" thick easily. If properly welded, I can't see why it wouldn't be stronger. Not talking three identical shapes stacked and welded around the perimeter. Need to add teeth to my brush rake, possibly build a root plow for the ripper. I can easily use up a sheet of 3/4" or 1" on various projects. Any thoughts on the life expectancy of ar over mild, it's for a farm dozer? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Steve Bowman2019-01-02 07:02

    How wide? You might consider plug welds in the middle if very wide sections.

  2. #2200lc12019-01-02 10:44

    The rake teeth would be around 12" tapered to zero, approx. 20" long. I was thinking of cutting large holes in the middle of the outer layers and running a bead along the inner edges, as well as, welding the perimeter. Same idea as a plug weld, only a bit bigger. Thanks

  3. #3Steve Bowman2019-01-05 08:21

    With 1" plate, 12" may not be too bad with just perimeter welding. But if you want to cut a V slot in the top middle for about 6" down, that would certainly tie them together much better, for not a lot of extra time.

  4. #4Bluox2019-01-05 09:40

    Call a steel shop and price having them burn out a set of 2" teeth ,may be cheaper and easier. Bob