Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lamtrac LTR6140T?

ReligiouslyCAT · 2019-06-03 17:49

Hello, I'm curious if anyone has used the Lamtrac LTR6140T 'CTL/Mulcher' hybrid or knows more about it. http://www.lamtrac.com/6140t.html On paper it looks like a beastly machine; 140HP Cummins, 44GPM, 6000PSI. Additionally the access to the engine appears to be great in the pictures, and having a hydraulically powered cab lift make appears to make it extremely easy to maintain... The cab looks like it would keep the dust out unlike the issues I've heard with CAT/ASV and also has an actual full size chair with great visibility. The total dimensions on paper don't appear to be too much bigger than a CAT. Lamtrac also advertises its function as a traditional CTL as well: bucket use, dozer, etc. They don't however publish a ROC for it so that worries me as I would purchase it for the purpose of having a skid steer as well. That's all good and fun on paper but I was wondering if anyone had experience/testimonial using/knowing of someone using it? One problem that I see is that it is truly in a niche market. Without calling their sales dept. it looks like the MSRP is right around 185-200K. Many smaller forestry operators cannot afford such a costly machine, and those that can will likely just out-right purchase a completely dedicated machine, just going right over the constraints of a CTL package... A couple of new and used sitting right over the $150K mark. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...equipment/manufacturer/lamtrac/model/ltr6140t Comments/opinions/reviews? Thanks!

Replies22
  1. #1DIYDAVE2019-06-03 20:33

    Looks pretty shweet! Oh, and the machine is nice, too!

  2. #2KSSS2019-06-03 21:03

    Wow that is a lot money for that. I get it makes crazy power and hyd hp, but 200K? The CASE Minitour will be a lot more versatile when that releases.

  3. #3f311fr12019-06-09 21:48

    Is that $200K Canadian?

  4. #4Tones2019-06-10 05:52

    The hydraulic specification is total BS and unitainable. To achieve that will require over 200hp.

  5. #5mikebramel2019-06-12 18:19

    The pump may have torque control, so as the pressure rises, volume falls off. So maybe look at it as peak 44gpm OR 6000, not AND. Maybe, dont know this machine

  6. #6Tones2019-06-13 18:52

    They are advertised as flow @ pressure. Pressure or flow is the truth. BTW it's not just a Lamtrak thing, most manufacturers are guilty.

  7. #7ChuckWilson2020-10-08 10:51

    Waking this thread up. Has anyone ran one yet? I really like the idea of a semi dedicated mulcher that can still be transported with a one ton.

  8. #8Mark132020-10-08 14:49

    I spent 1.5-2hrs in one with a Cimaf 180 head about a year ago. It seemed like it was a slick setup for running a mulcher but I don't think I'd want to do skid steer things with it anymore then I had to. It's nice that it'll run most any skid steer attachment but it's physically big, controls are odd, visibility, etc are downsides for that. I know some guys complain of major undercarriage problems but I think a fair bit of that is the operator. They did do a nice job with access, clean out, etc. In a matter of a minute or two you can have the whole machine opened up to clean it out or do maintenance compared to a skid steer where everything is crammed in there.

  9. #9mowingman2020-10-08 18:29

    I would want steel tracks on it for heavy mulching. I do like the looks of the swing open covers, and the nice operator seat. I wonder how good the seals are, and the A/C? Staying in the cab, in comfort, all day, is one thing that many of the mulcher manufacturers seem to overlook. I have not been in a mulcher yet, that had excellent cab, window, and door seals, as well as an A/C that was dependable and could keep you cool all day. Jeff

  10. #10Tones2020-10-09 17:45

    Ok , a year has gone by since my last post on this thread and more light has been shone on these machines and it ain't good. The track gear is absolute rubbish which Lamtrac are trying to fudge by doing stupid fixes. My understanding from angry owners comments the entire track system needs a total redesign.

  11. #11mowingman2020-10-09 19:30

    Thanks for the update. Always looking at new options. Jeff

  12. #12Tones2020-10-09 20:50

    Have you looked at the CMI range? http://www.cmimulching.com/Home

  13. #13mowingman2020-10-09 21:33

    No. I have operated Fecons, Rayco's, and a Kubota with a Denis Cemaf head. Also tried a Bobcat with the Bobcat head. Local dealer support is important, as these machines like to tear themselves up, so it has seemed. Jeff

  14. #14Tones2020-10-10 18:58

    I owned a Rayco without dealer support. The dealer didn't know diddly and ended up going bust. What I found it was far better to have component support, engine,hydraulics and track gear/track drives. I was running a Fecon/AHWI head on and their dealer is on the other side of the continent so often the different time zone played into my hands. Bearings and hydraulic motors were purchased locally.

  15. #15ChuckWilson2020-10-12 07:18

    I went and looked at them Saturday but the dealer was closed so it was just a static display. They had the 6140 and the new 6170 which both look good for competing with the skid steer mulcher market but I think they’ll lack against a Fecon 150 or the Primetech 175.

  16. #16skata2020-10-12 12:09

    200k? Is that for a bare machine?

  17. #17mowingman2020-10-12 20:03

    What dealer did you see this equipment at? Is it in southeast Texas?

  18. #18ChuckWilson2020-10-12 23:01

    Texas timberjack in lufkin has the lamtracs and a used Riley on there yard.

  19. #19ChuckWilson2020-10-12 23:02

    What I really want is a supertrack 140 I wish they would start building them again.

  20. #20Heath Cotton2022-12-21 10:35

    We have 3 Lamtrac LTR6140T mulchers with Denis Cimaf heads we bought in 2018 and they worked well for 2 years until they reached about 1,500 hours. On 2 out of the 3 machine the grid heaters for the intake failed and debris got sucked into the engine resulting in engine replacements. We also had two flushing valves fail in the drive circuit which damaged the drive pump and both drive motors which had to be replaced. We fixed the first one and the second one is still down because Lamtrac will not respond to us. It's been over a month with zero support or communication from Lamtrac HQ. We are very frustrated with them right now, due to the lack of support we've received recently, I will never buy one of these again. Throw a Cimaf head on a John Deere or ASV skid steer and call it a day.

  21. #21f311fr12022-12-21 10:49

    are the engines Cummings 6.7 liter? If so yo need to look at Gale Banks Engineering intake that removes the grid heater and replaces it with a heater coil separate from the air intake steam

  22. #22Tones2022-12-21 15:11

    Heath,you're not the only one with this complaint about Lamtrac. There's a FB site with plenty of owners like you. Lamtrac must have some coaching from Rayco cause they weren't any different either.