Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Largest size portable fuel tank for pickup truck

nedly05 ยท 2006-11-10 05:52

Does anyone know the regs. for these tanks? I know you can haul a certain amount of fuel without a haz-mat lisence but how much is it. Also at what gallonage does it need to be placarded? Thanks in advance for any input.

Replies16
  1. #1rino14942006-11-10 06:10

    Not sure if it all across the country, but in my state the max is 114 gallons.

  2. #2Ford LT-90002006-11-10 13:39

    For us its about 100 Canadian Gallons and you still need to run one placard on the tank to say what is in it. Diesel fuel really isn't that bad but I definatly wouldn't want to be carrying 100 gallons of regular gas

  3. #3nedly052006-11-10 17:01

    I think it's 100 in NY also, but I want to make sure before I get a bigger tank, the last thing I want is to have the DOT shut me down in my pick-up:Banghead

  4. #4Steve Frazier2006-11-10 17:24

    With hazardous materials it is the weight DOT is concerned with rather than the volume. You need over 300 pounds of fuel to require placards, I don't know what that works out to in volume.

  5. #5nedly052006-11-10 17:53

    ummmmmmm...I need my calculator:bouncegri :spongebob

  6. #6Ford LT-90002006-11-10 19:34

    Do you really need a fuel tank that holds 100 imperial gallons of fuel ? Most contractors here if they need more fuel on a certain day will carry two slip tanks. Another regulation we have here is the tank needs to be double walled so if the inside tank ruptures the out side tank catches the leak.

  7. #7jmac2006-11-10 19:56

    I have a 90 gallon tank in the back of my truck, don't fill it completly very often, cost $270 and hate waiting at the pump for that long. So after I fill my trucks tank and put $100 in the transfer tank, should be good until the next time I fill the truck.

  8. #8Dozerboy2006-11-10 21:17

    Are you sure isn't diesel like 8 lbs. a gal.? I though it was more like 500 gals. but that was several years ago I guess...

  9. #9Steve Frazier2006-11-10 22:47

    Water is 8 lbs. per gallon, I know this from my fire dept. activity. I know fuel is less, but not how much less. I got this info from a DOT cop at a roadside inspection. I had seen him there and was asking about the need for placards to carry oxy/acetylene tanks, and his answer was not until I carried 300 lbs worth.

  10. #10Squizzy246B2006-11-11 03:07

    Diesel fuel has an SG of around 0.83 depending on temperature and where it was manufactured (you yanks make it very complicated)....but that means 830 litres = 1 tonne. 4.5 litres = 1 imperial gallon (not a US gallon) and 1 metric tonne = 2200 lbs so you can work it out from there.

  11. #11atgreene2006-11-11 07:49

    Fuel is around 6 lbs per gallon, water is 8.3. I was always taught that 500 gallons or more required a placcard, hazmat endorsement etc... Apparently that has changed. I have a 200 gallon skid tank for a pick-up that has 2 fuel cells. When I tried to sell it earlier this summer several callers said dot told them it was too big to be legal. I'm going to cut it in half and make a 100 gallon tank and a 30 gallon tank out of it just to be safe.

  12. #12PSDF3502006-11-11 20:07

    Diesel is 7 pounds a gallon.

  13. #13DigDug2006-11-11 20:40

    I think in Maine anything over 105 gallons needs a placard.

  14. #14atgreene2006-11-11 21:31

    PSD is correct, 1 gallon of water equals 8.33 lbs. 1 gallon of gasoline equals 5.8 to 6.5 lbs. 1 gallon of ethanol equals 6.59 lbs. Diesel varies between 6.5 and 7.5 pounds per gallon I was thinking of avgas 100LL from my time at air rescue as 6 lbs. per gallon. Digdug, ever seen that anywhere in writing? I don't doubt your right, I just can't find it.

  15. #15Dwan Hall2006-11-11 21:41

    I could be wrong on this but I remember someware reading anything over 1000 lb needed placecards. I know it is that way with my trafic paint. at least here in Alaska. I am not sure if that is the fed requirement or just our state.

  16. #16chtucker2006-11-12 18:20

    119 gallons or less no placards no hazmat endorsment. Anything above you will need both