Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo VHD Roll off

Nac · 2006-11-18 19:45

Well I finalized the deal today ended up going to a different dealer. I bought Volvo VHD axle foward 465HP, 8LL, 20F-20L-46R with a 75,000 american roll off extenable tail (SD cust hoist lost of extra's more rollers heavy steel and bracing) auto tarper and 45 ton pintel package. Its going monday to the painter to get repainted it is white right now, then going to hoist manufator to have some work done will be ready in 2-3 week. Will take pics of it on Monday at the paint shop before they begin to strip it.

Replies66
  1. #1Ford LT-90002006-11-18 22:35

    Hey thats good to hear :thumbsup How much did it end up price wise ?

  2. #2CascadeScaper2006-11-19 02:48

    Volvo VHD :thumbsup

  3. #32004F5502006-11-19 10:44

    Sounds good, can't wait to see the pictures. When I drove the volvo I liked the great visiability, the windshield was nice. Good luck with it.

  4. #4jmac2006-11-19 12:12

    Congrats NAC your list of equipment is getting very long. You obviously believe in reinvesting in your company. Good luck and hope you keep it working every day.

  5. #5Nac2006-11-19 12:26

    Let say it was over 140,000.00. Will be odering 3 30CY demo box's and 1 18cy Dump box with combo tailgate that has a rear trip with the lever at the front of the box. Yes will take pictures before and after the paint job. I feel that is the only way to grow a young company must reinvest into not like a lot of guys i know as soon as they make some money they take it right out of the company and who knows what they do with it.

  6. #6jmac2006-11-19 12:36

    I 2nd you NAC, my wife doesn't always agree but I you have to spend money to make money. I always say "hey I'm not buying a boat here, I am investing in the future".

  7. #7Nac2006-11-19 13:59

    This is very true, espically in our line of buisness you need to have equipment to make money. I work for GC where he thinks i am crazy with the money i spend all he buys is a few tools a year maybee a truck every 3 years and he is done. But what does he relly do he has subs for every thing and just marks it up he doesnt need any equipment.

  8. #8jmac2006-11-19 14:25

    I do alot of the same thing, work for GC,s that don't pay untill thay get paid and have very little equipment. Makes you wonder if your missing out on something? I haved noticed that they never have any money. COD from most the suppliers and always pay slow. The insurance, bonding etc. must eat up alot of cash. They also have to cary alot of money on larger jobs for the work that they do do and don't sub out. The one I work with the most is pretty rich personally so he must of done something rite.

  9. #9Ford LT-90002006-11-19 15:17

    Thats not too bad of a price the bins might be a little pricey as the cost of steel is so high. Probably want to be on the hunt for some used bins for the rough jobs like scrap metal or concrete rip rap. I do agree investing in the company it builds equity.

  10. #10Nac2006-11-19 15:35

    30 cy box cost about 3,800 the custom 18 cy box 20'x8'x40" 1/4 floor,3/16 sides, 12" crossmember spacing, duel tailgate, front trip, dirt sherders and inveted angels weld to the top rails)cost 4,500

  11. #11Ford LT-90002006-11-19 16:54

    Thats not too bad then for a new box for us in Canada you could add another 1000-2000 to what you pay for a regular box. A 16' dump box just the box brandnew for a tandem axle dump truck costs us around 17,000 dollars a complete install is like 27,000 dollars. It sure is frustrating to see how much cheaper you guys have it in the US anything we buy here cost a arm and two legs

  12. #12CascadeScaper2006-11-19 17:41

    What are you whining about? You canucks get free healthcare! At least if it's going to cost you an arm and two legs, you can get them sewn back on for free :bouncegri

  13. #13Ford LT-90002006-11-19 18:12

    Yes its one benefit we have here is healthcare is cheaper not like what you guys have to pay Back on topic its good to see Nac has got a fullsize rolloff truck now he just needs a fleet of bins a couple hundred should do :laugh I will be curious to see how well the Volvo stands up or how much it ends up costing for maintenance.

  14. #14Wolf2006-11-19 18:47

    Congratulations, Nac, on the new acquisition. And good luck to you in the hauling business. By the way, what color are you having the new truck painted? You didn't say.

  15. #15Nac2006-11-19 21:32

    Thanks hope to have at least 30 boxs in a couple months and then we will see about a nother truck.The truck will be black and desert sand like my other trucks.

  16. #16Nac2006-11-19 21:36

    here is the hooklift

  17. #17Countryboy2006-11-19 22:26

    I like the colors:yup .

  18. #18CascadeScaper2006-11-20 01:48

    Nac, when did you get the Deere CTL?

  19. #19Nac2006-11-20 05:59

    The Deere was a demo I had a while ago. I like it but would not get a tracked skid steer do not have much use for it now that i have my 350C tracked loader.

  20. #2090plow2006-11-20 11:25

    Nice looking trucks. Where in NJ are you? -Eric

  21. #21jazak2006-11-20 14:48

    I like the colors; you should get a pic of the entire fleet up soon.:yup :yup 90PLOW take a look @ at his signature.

  22. #22kamerad472006-11-20 17:06

    So that means your going to put a driver on that & compete with company's like WM 7 other's ???? good luck with that!!!

  23. #23SunServicesLLC2006-11-20 17:17

    Congrats I talked to the dealer today and the trucks in FL were a bust, I knew it was to good to be true. You will be very happy with that truck. I also wanted to say don't let that last poster discourage you, i have been very successful with a lot of competition in my area.

  24. #24jmac2006-11-20 17:43

    Nac, I guess kamerad47 doesn’t believe in the American way. If that was true than why start any business, hey someone is always already doing it bigger, so why try. I think I will move to China. Been that way since the pilgrims came over on the boat. Speaking of that happy turkey day everyone!

  25. #25Ford LT-90002006-11-20 18:03

    I don't thin NAC is going to have major competition I bet he will be busy enough using the truck for his construction business the truck won't have time to stop and do other jobs. A person needs a dump truck being in the excavation business a rolloff truck is a good combination.

  26. #26Nac2006-11-20 18:20

    I not worried about WM no one uses them for construction and demo in my area they are to big of a company and are overpriced. I all ready have a couple customers lined up and have a new construction site for the sping 1 30CY box a day for 6 months. The truck will be for my use and for a carting buisness. If I have to I will work two shift one in the day for my use and one at night switching boxs the rail yard (transfer staion) I use is open 6 days a week 24 Hr a day.

  27. #27CascadeScaper2006-11-21 01:35

    Businesses cannot grow and become successful without competition. That's basic economics.

  28. #28kamerad472006-11-21 17:41

    My point are you in excavation/constuction business or the carting? Are you going to drive or are you getting a drIver? If your going to hire a driver, I know what ther're paided + benifits ,if you don't pay them that they will go work some that will pay $$ & benifits!!! will you have someone answering phones for you? I'm not trying sh## on your deal ! But it not easy! One ? do you know how much the insurance is going to run? I what I pay & I drive & its Big $$

  29. #29Nac2006-11-21 18:22

    Will be doing both yes will put a driver in the truck and will pay benifits, yes I don know what insurance cost. The idea just didn’t pop into my head this morning I have been working on it for a year, that why I am licensed to haul solid waste by the state of NJ. If I was going to use the truck for myself I did not have to get licensed. I also all ready have a hooklift truck and about 8 boxs which are all out.

  30. #30SunServicesLLC2006-11-21 19:14

    I run seven trucks(roll offs)with 6 drivers. They all make big $$ and i pay big $$ for benefits and insurance on them and the trucks. But that doesn't come close to the amount of big $$ that comes in every month. Kind of the point in being in business.

  31. #31jmac2006-11-21 19:54

    What doesn't cost big money when talking about any business. And if you are talking about heavy equipment and trucks, that has to be one of the biggest investments. I do think that the more volumn you move the more money you will make, but I would be willing to bet that roll-off is better than hauling material, but even hauling material you still can make money at it. Same rule, volumn does help. Can't get the volumn up if you don't have the truck to do it with. Just what NAC has done, the first, or secound etc step towards increasing his volumn.

  32. #32kamerad472006-11-22 17:10

    I would say insurance & registration is close to 10.000.00 ! 1,200.00 for driver pay + benifits a week. & about 4,500.00 for fuel a month i think thats pretty close. What did the hauling lisencse cost?? & don't you have to fill out paper work quaterly about where box came from?

  33. #33LaLaMan2006-11-22 17:38

    Hes in Jersey, noone uses WM. Blue Diamond, Suffy, Nacirema, Feretti, Pinto, Tasselli, Cardella, Yanuzzi, Montella, Gaeta, Cali, DeLio, are some of the companies ive seen carting on jobs that ive been at. Hes already got the right name of the company, lol. Ive always wanted to break into the business, I dont know if the mob still has a strangle hold on carting, guess it depends on where you do your work out of. I think you can get work for carting though brokers. I bet the DEP license cost a fourtune too. Nacirema runs alot of Volvo (along with MANY KWs), TEV runs alot of Voloves and Macks. Is Sanchez doing the roll off? I know if Bristol Donald Co also does alot of truck bodies.

  34. #34jmac2006-11-22 17:41

    Holly crap there aint a Irishman in that bunch!:yup

  35. #35LaLaMan2006-11-22 18:21

    I know, and im not joking either. I always wanted to break in, but I figured I didnt "know" the right people.

  36. #36Nac2006-11-22 18:30

    I got the truck at Beyer Bros. Same place Nacirema purchases them. The hoist is mounted by American Roll Off in Trenton, NJ. Insurance is not that much because it is an add on to my business, The license is a couple thousand dollars and has to be renewed every two years, the fee depends on the amount of trucks and containers you have. You have to fill out an Origin & Destination form for every box and have to keep track of everything. You also have to update your license every year. There is a lot less compation in carting than excavation, There are only about 900 companies in NJ licensed to haul Solid Waste, there probaly several thousand excavation companies.

  37. #37LaLaMan2006-11-22 19:07

    Might as well throw a highway plow on it. Your big enough that if you hook in with 6 or 8 other owner operators that have dump trucks, you can bid some state or county roads, and you could sub some work to them now that you too have a class 8. Its a whole 'nother world plowing roads as compared to parking lots.

  38. #38Nac2006-11-22 19:57

    Yes was thinking about a plow maybee next year. I knoe Nacirema has a few truck with plows and spreaders.

  39. #39LaLaMan2006-11-22 20:55

    With such a long truck youll need to get some roads, or at least some massive parking lots.

  40. #40kamerad472006-11-27 17:05

    There maybe less co' s but in the cearting bus but WM , allied waste , interstate & midco have bought about 100 co's in the last five years plow ing dosen't pay jack it's bid work guys are doing it for what i did it 10 yrs ago!

  41. #41LaLaMan2006-11-27 17:12

    Thats the same way the quarries used to be in NJ till Tilcon bought everything up. I would think that thoes big companies have big overhead, so maybe it might not be that though to steal work away from them. I guess they can keep costs low with the fact they have their own facilities where they can process the waste. There are a few smaller companies in this area, but i bet its tough to get good accounts, im sure they all have good connections to get, and keep their work.

  42. #42Nac2006-12-01 15:28

    Well here are some pics. The truck is not ready yet they still have to mount a 45 Ton pintel hitch and run the air for the gladhands. Also still have to swap th hoist to a extendable tail.

  43. #43sbrem2006-12-01 16:27

    Looks great!:thumbsup :thumbsup Keep us updated on how it works out for you

  44. #44Ford LT-90002006-12-01 17:11

    Truck looks good but it sure could use some chrome mirrors along with two 8" convex mirrors also on the mirrors two back up lights one on either side. Also two strobes would make navigating in congested areas better its amazing how many people don't pay attention while driving. Things to keep in the cab would be a long handled window brush/squeegy a box of rags and gloves also a bottle of windex. When I drove rolloff truck having a clean back window is a must because you have to see where those rail tails are. I have had to hook up in the dark or when is pouring down rain miserable as h*ll. You punch the rails tails into the box you can rip a decent hole into the can. Your breath fogs up the back window trying to look and your running the hoist controls without looking along with your foot working the brake and your left hand adjusting the steering wheel. I have had bins that the side is about to tear off because the bin is so worn out or have had a bin that just plain refuses to pull up the rails squarely. Bins so heavy the bin is lurching forward struggling to pull it up the rails. With extendable rail hoist you have to be carefull the rail tails bend easier than a conventional hoist so steering the box into place probably isn't recommened. I think you will do okay with the truck I wouldn't be surprised if the fenders over the tires are banged up and dented its not uncommon for the can your pulling up tilt to one side and it nails the fender. Good Luck

  45. #45Nac2006-12-01 17:24

    Yes they are adding 4 work lights 2 on the rear and 2 on the auto tarper. Will also be adding LED warning lights 2 on the rear and 1 on the roof or 2 on the mirrors.

  46. #46Ford LT-90002006-12-01 17:32

    That tarper system is nice the trucks I drove never had them. It is a pain trying to manually tarp a bin. I don't know if you guys have this law yet in the US but here we have to cross chain the front of the box down to the rails using cinches and two lengths of chain. It is a pain but its new regulations.

  47. #47Nac2006-12-01 17:35

    Tell me about the one thing i hate is tarping a box. I am going to add an auto tarper on my hooklift this winter if I have time.

  48. #48Ford LT-90002006-12-01 18:16

    Then your driving down the road and one of the bungee cords lets go and the wind is catching the tarp and its flopping around. For use tarping is mandatory when hauling loose loads like sand-gravel etc or if your hauling demo debris that has old pink fiberglass insulation. Its Murphys law your hauling a load of demo debris and a old batt of insulation comes out of the box and lands on the road when a cop is following you or driving by :Banghead

  49. #49Wolf2006-12-01 18:32

    Great Color Scheme That new truck is a beauty. Good luck with it and much success. May your tarps not fall off in the wind.

  50. #502004F5502006-12-01 18:38

    Nice looking Volvo, the only thing I dislike visually about the Volvo's is the back of the cab, all the ridges and channels, yuck, I think Kenworth and Pete do a much better job and I suppose it doesn't effect the ability to make $$. Looks good with the wheels and 425 floats on the front.

  51. #51jazak2006-12-01 19:01

    Nice truck NAC it came out great. With the LED warning light I would go with one on each mirror for better visibility. How many trucks do you have now?

  52. #52Ford LT-90002006-12-01 19:25

    You watch couple years from now NAC will be a nationwide disposal company with a fleet of trucks in every state :roll I don't know if its just the pictures or it looks like the wheels have a low gloss finish. Better buy a 100lb bag of white flour it works good for polishing chrome :yup I learned that from the guys with the Petes that have enough chrome on the truck to kill a horse.

  53. #53Countryboy2006-12-02 02:58

    Good looking truck.:yup

  54. #54jmac2006-12-02 10:01

    Congrats NAC, very nice truck. You might not have as many trucks as WM but your truck will be as nice as any of the others. All Italian of course. I am Scotch but married an Italian; does that allow me to get in on the container biz?:yup

  55. #55Nac2006-12-02 10:03

    Thanks guys on the comments.

  56. #5690plow2006-12-10 19:04

    Real nice color scheme on all your trucks. Grinnell is who we get our containers from. I was talking to the driver and he said they have 15 trucks and one yard truck and I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 boxes, it was 2 years ago that he told me that so I dont know what they have now. They have their own plant to sort all the garbage, and they take all the stumps and brush and regrind it and sell it as mulch.

  57. #57rino2006-12-29 00:51

    Nice Addiditon The ONLY thing you didn't say was fender mirrors! I have had them and have NOT, and I would rather have them. They are great in confined areas and on the highway. You can see down the whole side of the truck. Something to think about!

  58. #58Hydro1012006-12-30 10:41

    little off topic, i was on a job the other day and the super used to work for nacirema... he said nacirema is american spelled backwards, idk. guess im corny but i thought it was pretty cool...

  59. #59Nac2007-01-06 18:09

    Roll off Well here is a pic with my new truck semi lettered. I had the tel number added and town latter that day but did not take a new pic yet.

  60. #60Steve Frazier2007-01-06 21:37

    That sure is a nice looking rig!!

  61. #61Jeff D.2007-01-06 22:35

    :thumbsup Yup, she looks real good!!

  62. #62Ford LT-90002007-01-06 23:34

    Thats as clean as it will look so get a good look at it once you will get busy and the truck working 7 days a week its not going to be that shiny :bouncegri Truck looks good I would probably go with white letters on the cans even if the box is dirty it will still stand out. You will want it so its easy to read at a quick glance you will be passing other construction sites where contractors will see your name. Good Luck

  63. #63rino2007-01-06 23:37

    For the return.... on plowing, I'd scrap that idea for the bigger trucks. Sometimes it pay's to think Mom & Pop! Great looking truck. I have found the more professional looking the equipment, the better paying jobs seem to come their way! May your fuel tank alway be on full, and your tires always have tread and air! Keep doing what you are doing. It seems to be working, and I a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it'! :thumbsup

  64. #64lamarbur2007-01-07 08:02

    Years ago when I was hauling military trade shows, of various items, the way I got into this, was, I was hauling computers. Every three months I would repaint the inside of the trailer. One day on Digital's dock, a foreman came by, was looking inside as I loaded a DEC10 system, and made a comment I never forgot,,, Your vehicle is your autograph. I started doing Digitals military computer deliveries, and this lead to Raytheon, which I did for many, many years,,,, It is true, in business, your vehicles appearance is your autograph.

  65. #65Wawrecker2007-01-07 14:36

    I sure like your company colors, The Volvo looks great, I hope its staying real busy.

  66. #66jazak2007-01-07 20:11

    Very nice truck....now just for some pics of her in action.:yup :thumbsup