Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Larry Lugs from Bair

Five-O ยท 2011-09-17 09:50

Anyone have problems with these falling off? My idler and bogie wheels show a little wear but nothing serious. Track tension is fine. Lost one the other day and looks as if the bolt ripped through the hard plastic. Inspected the rest of the track and have two other bolts ready to rip out. They are the 3 inch bolts. I hear they use a 4 inch now. Running them on one track of my 257B.

Replies6
  1. #1Five-O2011-09-22 18:33

    Anyone??

  2. #274inchShovel2011-09-22 21:45

    Hey Five-0, here is my situation. Rc 30, at 1300 hrs replaced some lugs, and every hundred hours or so I do a couple more. I try to get them before they shear and start a domino effect taking out alot more. They seem to me at least to be as strong as stock, I am pleased with them. I try to not load up the machine too much and put stress on all the drive components. The payoff for this is that I will be seeing 2000+ hours out of the undercarriage But you 257 is alot more machine, and they may not work as well for you. It has been said on this site and others that the 257 is quite a bit more machine than that undercarriage was designed for.

  3. #3Hendrik2011-09-24 22:51

    What are the drive sprocket rollers like, if they are worn they will put more pressure on the lug. Instead of putting all the pressure into the area where the lug joins to the track, worn rollers will put all the pressure a little lower and thus have the effect of leverage working against the lug. What sort of work are you doing, are there a lot of shock loads on the drive? I have 1200 hours on my RC30 and will have to think about replacing a lug or two, some of them have top of the lug broken off but I have replaced all the drive sprocket rollers with new plastic ones, when I bought the machine some of the rollers where paper thin.

  4. #4Five-O2011-09-25 09:37

    I guess may main concern is the design of the Larry Lug. Seems like the bolts are being ripped out of the plastic lug. I notice they have a 4" bolt now and am wondering if that is used to create more surface contact to prevent the bolt from being ripped out.

  5. #5Five-O2012-08-16 12:14

    Well almost been a year since I made this post. I've had the same problem with the lugs ripping out. I guess I'm happy not to have had to replace tracks yet. Only put on an additional 900 hrs this yrs though.

  6. #6245dlc2013-12-08 00:06

    So I'm just curious if anybody here has been using any of the newer ASV/Terex CTL's and if the premature undercarriage wear problems have been corrected at all?