Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Leak sealers

Old Doug ยท 2018-01-30 22:02

My 330 ford is leaking water out the back of one head i think about half a gallon on a 200 mile trip. I would like to weight till may to replace it. I thought about some sealer but it has a new rad and heater core. Has any one ever had a problem with stop leak? I have used bars before and it worked but i didnt care alot about the future of the vehical.

Replies16
  1. #1ol'stonebreaker2018-01-30 23:09

    Never tried it but over the years I've heard fine black pepper will seal leaks. I've asked and never heard anything bad about it with radiators and heater cores. Mike

  2. #2farmerlund2018-01-31 01:17

    I prefer silver seal. little tube of fine dust. Have never had a heater core plug with it.. have also used Dike stop leak with good results. I never liked barrs stop leak

  3. #3Truck Shop2018-01-31 07:39

    K D block sealer-sealed a power stroke with a cracked block still running as far as I know. Truck Shop

  4. #4Junkyard2018-01-31 07:52

    One of my shop foreman friends swears by Dike. I've never used it but he runs the Tulsa Inland shop so I'd say it's worth looking into just like the others. P.S. Haven't forgot about the welder just been runnin all over hells half acre!

  5. #5Hallback2018-01-31 08:44

    KD block sealer or Moroso Ceramic seal.

  6. #6kshansen2018-01-31 09:55

    Not 100% sure but think I used the KD Block sealer on the V-6 in the GMC Sonoma I had. I guess they had a common leak problem, either head gasket or manifold gasket for get which it was, anyhow it was a nasty rust bucket of a truck and I just could not see going through all the work to tear it down and fix the leak. Dumped the sealer in and believe I ran it for a couple days with the rad cap loose and then put it back on and forgot about it. Got rid of the thing by donating it to one of those charity things that take junk cars and auction them off. Tried selling it to the company I worked for to be used running around the quarry but big boss never made a decision, would have been one of the best off road trucks they had too!

  7. #7alaskaforby42018-01-31 11:22

    We have had really good luck with Dike, Napa carries it here. Supposed to not leave any build-up in engine.

  8. #8mitch5042018-01-31 11:28

    K-D block seal

  9. #9Tones2018-01-31 16:17

    white pepper is better, it's finer. Chemi Weld is good

  10. #10Tenwheeler2018-01-31 20:23

    Way old school. Sodium silicate and we bought it at the drug store. I thank that is the clear portion in K-D and some others. Had problems putting lots of solids in cooling systems but a little pepper is probably better than most. Flush the system and have only water in it. Run it hard at operating temperature and let it cool down a bit. Open the radiator, block and all other drains. Let it set as long as possible. Days if possible not hours.

  11. #11Truck Shop2018-01-31 20:26

    Other wise known as {Water Glass} Truck Shop

  12. #12Tenwheeler2018-01-31 20:32

    On this ocean it is liquid glass.

  13. #13Truck Shop2018-01-31 20:48

    What ever ocean that my be, every old fart mechanic I've known including me called it water glass . Truck Shop

  14. #14Tenwheeler2018-01-31 21:04

    Washington St- Pacific. Georgia- Atlantic. I surrender! Liquid Glass is car wax. Water glass is sodium silicate.

  15. #15RZucker2018-01-31 21:23

    Yep. Water glass. Worked on many a genset running an EMD or Cleveland diesel using water glass to keep the liners from leaking on shutdowns. Put a gallon or two in an Alco locomotive with Anti freeze as insurance it wouldn't leak into the pan. That was a 210 gallon system.

  16. #16Old Doug2018-02-01 20:43

    We used some years ago in a race car no windsheild the smell was almost unbearable and the bad part about this leak its geting on the exhaust.I used it to day evey time you stop and get out it smells like its leaking alot i will look at Dike tomorrow.