Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

leaking fuel injector pump

Smarty ยท 2009-03-31 17:18

I am about take out my pump, I want make sure how to do it. any help would be great. It is on my Kubota Kx-61-2 Here is a photo

Replies16
  1. #1td25c2009-03-31 18:15

    I have have not worked on a kubota.On "timed" injection pump engines there will be timing marks on the flywheel or harmonic balencer.sometimes there is a cover plate in front of the pump on the engine to remove that will show timing marks for the pump.rotate the engine untill the timing marks on the flywheel are at "top dead center" and the timing marks on the pump are lined up.This is an example of how most engines are timed.On some pumps there is a "timing port" where you remove a threaded plug that shows the marks on the pump.Bottom line,timing marks on the flywheel at "top dead center"and timing marks on pump lined up.Might get a service manual for the kubota engine.What's leaking on the pump?I have fixed some leaks without removing the pump.I wish I could be more help,maybe someone on the forum knows about kubota's.

  2. #2BIG D2009-03-31 20:41

    fuel leak I would suggest using a can of brake clean to pin point where the leak is it might be a fuel line If leak is in the pimp such as a cracked fuel bonnet the pumps can be lifted out of the housing and sent to a fuel injection center for repair just keep the shims that set the timing of the pumps clean and reuse it is not necessary too remove anything more than the pumps . if more info needed please let me know the BIG D

  3. #3willie592009-03-31 21:36

    It's been a while since I've worked on one, but on the Kubota engine you don't remove the entire injection pump. You leave the housing in place and remove/service the control components or the indiviual injection pumps that the fuel lines are connected to. Kubota's are bad about leaking oil at where the control shafts go into the injection pump (like the throttle control shaft). Time and vibration wears the aluminum cover that the shaft goes through, o-ring seal gets hard, next thing you know, you have a leak. You should be able to get a manual that tells you how to remove and re-seal components.

  4. #4Smarty2009-03-31 22:39

    Thanks for the replies. I was in a hurry to post so I left out some details, I do have a mechanic coming but they have not worked on this small engine. I did find out about just removing the top part (held down by the allen screws) that sounds much easier than removing the housing, it looks to me like it's part of the block. The brake clean is a good idea because it is very hard to see where the diesel is coming from. It is not alot of diesel but enough to leave drops on the ground even when turned off. We are going to replace the washer on the part where the fuel line goes in. I have the manual for the excavtor but it does not go into details on the engine. I have heard if the tork scews are moved that will effect the adjustment of something. Anymore help would be great, otherwise I will let you know how it goes. I have looked for instructions on the web but no luck maybe I should do something on youtube.

  5. #5Deerehauler2009-03-31 23:00

    The tamper-proof torx screws you see on top of the pump affect each cylinder's timing. The pump shop sets them. If I were looking for a leak my first suspect spot would be the rubber line with the funky hose clamp(with the phillips screw). I would replace that hose and use a new worm-type hose clamp. Also look at the bleed line hose and clamp, which is the gray hose to the right rear corner of the pump. If memory serves (and it has been a LONG time) the timing window is partially covered by the white rag in the pircture. I can ask my buddy who works on these a lot any other leaky spots to check.

  6. #6willie592009-03-31 23:12

    I'm with you DeereHauler. I look at the pics and I see dirt behind the injection lines but clean parts in the foreground of the pics, like diesel is washing everything. It seems, by looking at the pics, that the diesel leak wouldn't be that hard to find and repair.

  7. #7DarrylMueller2009-04-01 00:01

    I had to take our 4 cyl Kubota in the light tower, and took the pump out to have the out put checked, and then I rebuilt the govenor because it Kobota was not able to. (The engine ran away and melted the generator.) After you undo all the lines. There are 4 nuts that come off. There are shim stock between the pump and housing. Also take off the side plate with shut off. Look at this if you put it on wrong the engine will run away and you can't shut it down. Also you need to put the engine to idle and undo the linkage and unbolt the throttle shaft, there is a spring that goes from the throttle shaft to the rack. With the side cover off you can unhook that spring and lift the throttle shaft out, and then lift the pump out. This will get the pump out, Hope this helps, what is the problem?

  8. #8DarrylMueller2009-04-01 00:07

    Looking at you pump picture again it's different than mine. Take the shut off on the side first and look the should be a spring that goes from the rack to throttle that has to be unhooked, before you can lift the pump out.

  9. #9Smarty2009-04-01 12:32

    Thanks for the help. We will check the lines. I have been wiping between the injector lines so they are clean. That's where I think the leak is. The engine is running fine. At some point I thought diesel was leaking into the crankcase because the oil level was up so I changed the oil and it seems fine now. If I have take the pump out I wonder if the intake manifold has to come off ? Thanks

  10. #10DarrylMueller2009-04-01 18:08

    If you have fuel in the oil? You need to find it fast.

  11. #11Smarty2009-04-01 19:47

    I will moniter the fuel in oil carefully. We replaced the copper washers at the fuel inlet fitting. and the small hose clamp. Now I will wait and see if the leak returns. Here are some new photos, one shows the inspection port on the bottom right of the 1st photo.

  12. #12bobcatmechanic2009-04-02 11:21

    you have to have those timed by a shop if its the pump also then you go to remove the injection pump there will be 2 springs under the injection pump dont drop them you will have to pull the front cover to get them back out so a job that takes a half hour just turned into 5 also the pumps have to be set because the bolts that hold them from turning that have the clamps on them have to be set up and down and then locked in place other wise it will run like crap after you remove it until you get it timed we have tried it at work on the bobcats and it just doesn't work

  13. #13Localmotion2010-04-11 15:21

    A Similar Problem... Hi all I got a diesel problem on my case CK28 excavator, which is fitted with a Kubota engine. The fuel pump is leaking around the top of the injector, but I can't tell if it is the collar (below the split to the injector lines) or actually leaking around the base plate of the injector (where it meets the top of the pump using torque bolts). Please take a look at this video of it... YouTube - Leaking Kubota Injector I've got two main questions: 1 - Is it possible to losen the collar from the base plate and if so does this affect timing? 2 - If I remove the torque bolts holding the base plant to the pump, will it affect the pump timing, and if so is there an easy way of retiming the pump afterwards? Must admit to being a bit out of my depth here, but really need the machine back to work asap, and being in Spain we don't have any Kubota industrial engine workshops nearby. Any help / tips / advice greatfully received. Cheers, Ian. :drinkup

  14. #14willie592010-04-11 18:38

    Welcome to the forum Localmotion. :usa You don't want to disturb the piston chambers, the part you called a collar. Do not remove the tamperproof torx screws an attempt to remove the piston chambers. Those chamber have to be adjusted by an injection pump shop. The only thing you can do is remove the fuel lines, and remove the whole upper chamber as an assembly, and take it to an injection shop to have it re-sealed.

  15. #15Localmotion2010-04-12 13:52

    Thanks for the sound advice Atco.... I have similar responses from everyone I've asked, so guessing it will be a trip to our local pump shop. To add to problems, just had a bottom roller go They say things happen in threes, so wonder what's next...???! LM

  16. #16willie592010-04-12 18:34

    Let's hope just a clogged fuel filter.