Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Leaking Fuel Tank

Tones ยท 2014-12-19 20:08

I have a leaking fuel tank on my tractor. The tank is part of the frame and has a pinhole leak on one of the welds near the bottom and where it is it can't be welded without removing the engine and hydraulic pumps. Now the question is, are there any compounds that can seal it? This tractor has a lot of vibration going threw it when it's working. Cheers Tony

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2014-12-19 21:44

    For a rusted out sheet metal gas tank, you clean it out and epoxy the inside. You could do the same thing if you can clean the tank good enough and roll the tractor around to coat the bottom with the epoxy. Maybe you could pull a vacuum on the tank (full or empty) and clean the leaky area and hole with flammable brake cleaner or acetone, then apply JBweld or similar epoxy to the outside. If it sucks through the hole, let it set up a little more and apply some more until it's thick enough to plug it.

  2. #2kshansen2014-12-20 08:41

    I had a fuel tank on a 980 C Cat that was rusted through from the outside a couple years back boss just wanted a fast fix to get to the end of the season. Leak was about 1/3 of the way up the side of the tank and easy to get to so I drained the fuel below leak wire brushed and cleaned the heck out of it the coated it with Devcon Epoxy (Very similar to JB Weld). Let it set up over the weekend and told operator to fill with fuel before using. Well as usual those "get it through the season" repairs when they work seem to end up being permanent! I think they sold the machine a couple years later with the epoxy still on it! I do like the idea of the vacuum on tank and then coat with epoxy! Have to keep that one on the memory banks for future use.

  3. #3oarwhat2014-12-20 09:26

    I second using Devcon Epoxy. I've used it for years on my old snowplows.

  4. #4maddog2014-12-20 10:21

    I'm with the others, devcon epoxy, used in on a couple of things through the years no problems.

  5. #5FSERVICE2014-12-20 22:30

    iv saw this "fix" work on 2 different tanks.. use the fiberglass "bondo" body filler.. NO I DIDNT DO IT!!! before someone asks

  6. #6lantraxco2014-12-21 00:33

    http://www.amazon.com/Versachem-901...bs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1PPSTMNDKH2ZN334BS5Q