Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Leaky Hydraulic valve on 550G

Glen1978 ยท 2011-03-02 20:39

Well everyone of these hydraulic valves (blade control) I have ever seen on Deere's have leaked but this one is mine and I care about my stuff. How much is normal? Worked the girl pretty hard today shoving trees and clearing some land and when I climbed off the side of the frame under the valve was oily/dirty. If you open the side door and rub your hand under the valve it comes back pretty oily and if you operate the blade while off you can see some drips here and there. I have noticed when it gets hot and you max out the hydros one way or the other they squeal/shudder but I think thats normal. Everything works great in any direction. Guess while were here might as well ask. Hydro cylinder on right side for blade up/down.....I cant get the grease fitting to take grease. Im ANAL about greasing and its driving me crazy. Swapped it with another and nothing.....just shoves out around the zerk. Pull the cylinder....? thanks guys.

Replies5
  1. #1d9gdon2011-03-03 00:29

    Glen1978, I sent you a PM. The squeal you hear when you max out the cylinders one way or other is normal, that's just the pressure relief valve kicking in. Those leaky valves are a pain in the butt, it's just some o-rings in there but somebody else is gonna have to tell you how to fix them as I've never been in there. The cheapest money you'll spend is to get a service manual off of Ebay for your machine. On that grease zerk that won't take grease, just pull the pin from the cylinder then lift the blade a little so the ram sucks up into the cylinder so you have enough room to get it out from under anything in the way. Then just drive the bushing out of the cylinder using the proper size 3/4" socket and clean out the groove on the OD of the bushing. It's probably not been greased in a while and the old grease and dirt will get hard as a rock in the groove. Put a little grease thru the new zerk while you've got the bushing out of the cylinder to purge it, then put it all back together, making sure to keep the hole in the bushing lined up with the zerk in the cylinder.

  2. #2Glen19782011-03-03 12:04

    Ok. Thanks for the link.....just sent them an email. Tried to pull the cylinder other day with what tools I had in the truck but was a no go.....couldnt get the pin out of the cylinder to pull it up to even start. I should be finished with the job Im on and fix it when I get back to the shop. It litterally costs me sleep when I cant grease something......guess it was all the years of working other peoples sloppy equipent that did that. lol, not a bad thing I guess.

  3. #3Deereman2011-03-05 11:13

    Glen, I've seen these things leak like sifts. It looks like crap. And you sound like me, when I get on my stuff I want it to do what its suppose to and look like a professional. (Or atleast look like i know what I am doing lol) As far as the grease fitting goes. Sometimes you can take the fitting out and heat up the greast in the hole and dig out all of the crap in there. Then put it back in and get someone to move the blade up and down while you are trying to put grease in there. Some just can be a pain in the butt.. Post some picts of your projects/doings if you get a chance..

  4. #4Greg2011-03-05 13:34

    My experience with deere hydraulics is the thing they do best is leak. They would have been far better off to go to larger diameter cylinders and lower on the pressure. Have fixed those things. Get the manual, tear it apart, change the o-rings, put it back together. By the time it is finished you will have taught yourself a lot of new words. Oh ya, getting the valve out and back in will be a real treat too.

  5. #5Glen19782011-03-06 18:58

    LOL, the valve itself doesnt look to hard to pull out.....its all the lines hooked to it all over the place and mini heim joints, blah, blah, blah. I will monitor it and see how it goes and fool with that grease fitting when I get home. Will be finished up with the clearing job tomorrow.....dang pedal steer G is killin' my knees. And Im only 32!