Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track Roller Cat D4H Track Roller Squealing

THearn ยท 2011-03-02 11:58

I would like advice on handling a track roller that squeals something awful - it has a grease fitting that I tried to grease, but was unable to get it to take any grease - this roller seems to be an odd one non of the others have grease fittings - - I thought about just replacing even though it does not sow much wear, but having never done this before I am not sure about the procedures - is it necessary to take the track off? Would like just general instructions on how to go about replacing the roller. Thanks in advance for any advice

Replies7
  1. #1grandpa2011-03-02 14:15

    Thearn.... dont know what your calling a roller, or is it an idler....Rollers can be replaced just by loosening the track and jacking up the machine..... If its the idler tha is making the noise than the track will have to be split.... Be a little more descriptive and am sure someone can help you. ,,,,, Gramps

  2. #2THearn2011-03-02 14:30

    I am referring to the bottom track carrier roller (i think that is what it is called) the machine has 4 or 5 on the bottom of the track frame and 1 on the top that is between the front idler and the sprockett- after jacking up the machine I was wondering if the track could be loosened enough to undo the 4 bolts and slip the roller out the side.

  3. #3firetrack2011-03-02 14:56

    You can replace both the top and bottom rollers without removing the track chain. Release your grease tensioner, jack up your machine with the blade and rippers and then block it in place. The bottom roller will now have more than ample clearance for you to remove it. For the top roller to be removed place a jack and block of wookbetween the track frame and the chain beside the carrier roller and put tension on it to bring the chain up tight to the bottom rollers and then lower the dozer back to the ground. Take out jack and if you have a lifting device(excavator,crane, front end loader etc) place a chain around the track chain close to roller and lift - you'll get enough clearance to remove the roller on its own or to take the roller and post out. Remember that the roller sequence is single flange, double flange, single flange etc (starting from rear). I had a D4H 9DB series and have replaced both top and bottom rollers without splitting track chain. I have not had any experience with track rollers with grease nipples though. Good luck Firetrack

  4. #4THearn2011-03-02 16:07

    Thanks so much Firetrack thats exactly the information that I was looking for - - I think someone may have tap the roller and screwed in the grease fitting, when I tried to service it the grease just escaped around the side of the fitting where it was screwed in. So am I correct in assuming that once the roller starts to sqeal and get hot the best course of action is to replace it? - - I think my Cat dealers sells refurbished ones.

  5. #5firetrack2011-03-02 21:03

    Once they get hot and squeal generally they're 'knackered'. Not sure of your price in US but here is Aust I think they were around $325 for genuine and $280 for non genuine. The genuine figure could be a bit 'rubbery' as it is a while since I have purchased any and I'm only going from memory. What engine does your D4H have in it 3204 at either 90 or 95hp or the 3304 at 105hp. Mine had 95hp and it really went 'hard' and generally surprised a lot of people in its performance. I sold it at 6500hr and the engine was still tight and didn't use a drop of oil and had nil oil leaks. I was very dilligent on keeping the outer air cleaner element clean - always gave it a new inner every year. regards firetrack

  6. #6BradyHill12011-03-02 22:30

    if you don't have rippers, just back it up on some blocks til it gets to the tipping point then block it up under the drawbar and take the blade and pick it up

  7. #7THearn2011-03-03 02:56

    I bought the D4H about 6 months ago to clear land and dig some ponds on a small farm, The guy I bought it from said that it was a pretty sound little dozer just needed some maintenance, however from the limited time that I have had to run it, I have discovered a couple problems, the squealing roller and the 3204 95 HP engine has an oil leak. While removing the oil filter I put a wrench on a couple of the bolts in the oil pan and they seem to be really loose, was able to turn them a full turn, so I am hoping the leakage is seeping around the oil pan. I plan to drop the belly pan this weekend and really take a good look to see if I can determine exactly what is causing the oil leak. Just replaced both primary and secondary air filter elements, along with fuel filter. And Firetrack I think the D4H you had is the same as mine the 9DB series, I have ran it for about 50 hours since I bought it and really like it, seems to be an effecient little machine. I plan to get a root rake in a few months so that I can really get to work on that clearing. I want to thank everyone who post here, I have been reading this forum for about 6 months and have learned so much, everyone is just terrific, like the nifty tip from BradyHill1 and the in-depth knowledge that is shared on this discussion board is amazing - and Firetrack again thanks so much