Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Learned a new Mini-Ex skill the other day…

Shake N Break ยท 2013-08-27 00:40

We are working a job burying trees and debris from an old shelterbelt. We are running a PC 160 and a PC 45 (my chariot). The big excavator digs the holes and moves the big stuff then I come in and mop up. We had so much to do on this job the little 45 was having a hard time keeping up. So I took a play card from the dozer manual and started slot dozing. The blade is small and stuff spills over the top and around the sides severely limiting the ability to push junk into the hole. So I cut a slot from the pile to the hole and keep the bucket over the blade to keep junk from spilling over the top too much. I go to the pile, use the bucket to fill in the trench, then push the material down the trench into the hole. Works OK. Still not as fast as a real dozer but I gotta do what I can with what I have. Just thought I would share this technique.

Replies3
  1. #1Lil' Puss2013-08-27 02:29

    Trouble with deep slot dozing, it fills the tracks with rocks and is hard on the tensioners. I installed an eyebrow on my blade. Helped a lot. You can also fabricate and bolt on a set of wings.

  2. #2digger242j2013-08-27 03:32

    I often have to backfill a foundation where two houses may only be 10 feet apart. Because they're full basements, it takes a lot of material, and it's risky to use a skid loader because there's no room to turn around, and a high potential for getting stuck. I'll dump a truckload of fill in the front yard, and swing 4-5 buckets into a pile beside the house, and then, much as you describe, slot doze it back alongside the foundation. The only thing I'll add to that technique is that, since I'm walking back there anyway, I'll also carry a full bucket along for the ride...

  3. #3d4c24a2013-08-28 15:54

    why not make the 160 op do a better job