I have a 1993 Link Belt LS2700C2 excavator. The other day I was doing a spin turn to the left and all of the sudden the left track quit turning all together. Right track still works fine. But when you push the left pedal forward or back it doesn't move the track. If I lift up the left side of the machine and push the pedal you can hear something turning in the final drive and occasionally the track will move a couple inches around. Any way to trouble shoot what the problem is here?
Under the cab where the foot controls are is an actuator. I have had to replace it on a CASE 9020B. I am sure it is the same for your machine. I got one of them used on internet. I would check that first.
My guess is you stripped or broke the sun gear in the planetary for the final drive. Have someone listen to the drive while trying to move it. If it sounds like the hyd motor is turning take the cover off and see whats going on in there. I had one strip the spines out of the motor it self. Mine had a small cover in center of final drive. once I got the sun gear out of it the splines were badly worn on the end that goes in the motor. when looking in with a flash light one could see the splines in the motor were gone.
Drain the oil out of the final drive and look for metal. Once they stop turning, there isn't enough left inside to be able to fix it.
Is there a plug on the outside of the final drive to drain it ?
You're there looking at the machine. You tell us...……. A drain/fill plug ought to be kinda obvious.