Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Leveling a large sand field

Welder Dave · 2025-07-07 02:09

I'm getting the new property in a couple weeks to hopefully get approved for an MX track. The field is fairly compacted sand with grass and some former berms and hills from previous dirt bikes and quads. I think it would be best to strip the grass and level the area's where I want the track and parking so I can see the lay of the land the best. Some of the berms are hard to see with the grass. Should I be able to cut just enough to strip the grass and the front wheels will oscillate enough over the berms that I don't have to do anything special? Also should I do it in sections so I'm not pushing too big of a windrow? I could maybe mow it but that would be a big job and the hidden berms would be a problem. The grader seems the best option and I don't have to worry about excessive undercarriage wear on the track loader. The berms are maybe 12 to 16" high. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies2
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-07-07 07:56

    Dave, would it be prudent to try and buy a big loader. I know you have other equipment but if I were in your spot, I would consider an older large loader. Around here you can buy older pit loaders that have decent tires and are in really good shape as they have been maintained well for 10k to 20k. Right now on CL there are probably 3 950 size loaders, under 15k. Just a thought. The grader it’s great for leveling but for moving dirt around a site, nothing beats an articulated loader. I realize you have the track loader but that would take a lot of time and cause decent wear on your undercarriage. Sometimes you have to make do with what you got. I myself, if I had to move a decent amount of sand, would probably be selling something or trading for an older loader.

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-07-07 11:58

    I have a dump truck to haul sand. I'm just looking to clear the grass so I can see what the field looks like and be able to drive on it without running into the berms. The gravel pit might be able to send a loader over instead of or in addition to a dozer. Still think the grader would be the fastest if it has enough traction. The grass isn't real thick or tall but hides everything. I got my truck hung up on a berm and it's a good thing I had 4 wheel drive.