Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Link Belt 225 Running Hot-Help

Colorado Digger ยท 2010-04-11 09:13

I have a Link Belt 225, it has always benn serviced by the factory and is in very good shape. It has been used for a few large demo jobs and always seemed to run in the upper third on the needle.. the light comes on but the buzzer does not. . We are now digging a large foundation and after about half an hour of hogging the needle goes up in the red, we changed out the temp. sensor and nothing changed. The machine holds coolent and there is no oil in it. You can take the radiator cap off and touch the water with a glove on. although yesterday the operater said it seemed a bit hotter. He did not burn his finger though. apart from putting a manuel temp. sensor in the cab I do not know what to do. Th fuel filter is fresh, it has just been serviced, the screens and radiator are clean. Monday I will take a meat thermometer and check the collent temp to se if it is just the needle... very frustrating to say the least considering i just paid the machin off.Has anyone seen this, are there any link belt or case wrenches around to help. thanks for the help. ............Yes I will be buying a 210x2 next!

Replies11
  1. #1John C.2010-04-11 17:32

    My first thought is the thermostat in the engine is not opening. You might also check all your electrical grounds. Link-Belt has never had a decent electrical system and gauges have been problems since the first hydraulic machines they built. Good Luck!

  2. #2machine2010-04-11 19:23

    Remove the safety cage from the engine fan and the screen from the front of the rad and cooler and blow out the demo dust from the fan side first. Do this a few times back to front and front to back. Oh! don't run the engine when blowing from back to front.

  3. #3machine2010-04-11 19:26

    Oh! and don't use a pressure washer when doing back to front or you will bend over the cooling fins in the radiator.

  4. #4Willis Bushogin2010-04-11 19:27

    running hot The first thing I would do is go to a auto parts store (like Napa) and buy a heat detection gun (I forgot what its really called) it shoots out a signal and records the temp on that unit. You can find out where a blockage is, just keep checking different areas. Im thinking hydraulic filters, first off. I had a bad water pump that like to drove me crazy, before I bought this temp gun. Do you see any rust trails under the water pump? Can you move/shake it at all, if you do its the water pump. I have had the impeller break on the pump and I had to pull, it to find it. I honestly, have never had a bad thermostat, Ive changed a bunch of them, trying to fix a problem I also had a radiator stopped up and it looked new, but was stopped up, in the inside. This temp gun will find it. I think I paid like $75 for it One of the bad things is a blown head gasket, this gun will tell you the temp of each cylinder. This temp gun will save you a bunch of parts changing, by mechanics that dont have one This is just simple things to check, you might have a cylinder or valve bypassing, causing the hydraulics to over heat and thus the engine temp goes up Good Luck

  5. #5jhschul2872010-04-11 21:20

    infrared thermometer....?

  6. #6Vantage_TeS2010-04-11 22:00

    http://www.tiptemp.com/assets/17/tipWD-35639-30.jpg Well worth the money when troubleshooting heat issues (not that brand in particular, just grabbed the pic of the net).

  7. #7Colorado Digger2010-04-11 22:18

    Thank you all very much for all the great input!!! We put some swaggy diesel fuel in it by accident but have since serviced it and changed all filters.

  8. #8Vantage_TeS2010-04-11 23:49

    Did that fix the problem?

  9. #9Colorado Digger2010-04-13 23:48

    thanks guys.... we needed a major radiator cleaning.. i thought they were clean but now i know. too much demo work . she is running great!

  10. #10Vantage_TeS2010-04-14 00:35

    That dust gets in everything, glad things are working again!

  11. #11RobVG2010-04-14 01:05

    Usually it's the fiberglass insulation that plugs things up. It'll cover screens and fins like a mat.