I am looking for a small Excavator in the 120-140 range. Any experiance out there with a 2650? It has about 7k hours 2 buckets and a compaction wheel for 20k. It appears to be in good condition, just wondering if a small machine like this is on its last leg with 7k hours? Thanks for and input.
7k hours is not too bad if you won't be using it full time. I don't have any experience with Link belt, but I know that CAT 312s usually last 15k+ hours. Link Belts probably don't last quite as long but they probably last at least 9-10k hours. The price seems fairly good.
With the Izuzu diesels,the motor will last longer than a cat. Not shure about the whole machine though.
Sure... The Isuzus I've seen in Hitachis are good on fuel, but most only last ~12k hours. It's rare to see a CAT engine wear out in under 15k hours.
Mudman, my 2800Q has 9200 hours on it original motor it does not burn or drop any oil or antl freeze. I use it full time and I have no issues with it and will buy another one. Had a LS5000 that was a 1978 I think, it was the last one made, it got sent to the scrap yard,the transmission went out of it about 6 years ago and it was hurt, I dont remember how many hours were on it. The 2800Q has started when it was -15* and has never failed me. I have been digging for over 28 years and will never by a Cat, fuel hogs and over priced (my 2 cents ). Anyone the gives you a reply needs to qualify there answer, there are a lot of young people on these sites that likes certain brands because they give hats away. Run the machine and use your own judgement and take some oil samples. Dan
I'm not saying that they are bad machines. Its just that in general, I find that CATs with 15k hours seem to have engines in better shape than comparable Hitachis(with isuzu engines). I don't have any experience with link-belt, but that is what I've repeatedly seen in Hitachis. At -5˚C, most older CATs start right up with hardly any cranking. Deeres don't do too bad either. Cummins are alright but some need ether and plenty of cranking. From my [limited] experience with Isuzus, they usually need a little help too. Every machine is different, and condition varies. If the machine runs well right now, it will probably keep on running well for a few thousand more hours. Everyone has their own opinion on such things. I like my CATs, but others (like you danhoe) may disagree with me and they have every right to do so (especially given that you have far more years digging under your belt). Everyone has had different experiences with machines. Maybe Link-Belt dealers try to lure customers with caps My CAT dealer has never given me any free stuff and in the past I have even been brushed of by their secretaries . But I still like their machines because I find that they just work. P.S. Did your old LS5000 have an Isuzu in it? I'm just wondering. P.S. #2: 9200 hours is not a lot. I doubt it'll be doing very well at 20k.
Nope had a Cat 3406. We don't have a Linkbelt dealer in Michigan, lol. I have more Cat hats than dirty underwear. I even have Powell Cat shirts and hats, which is my last name. When ever I even think I am going to see the Case manager of Michigan I wear my shirt and Cat Carhart coat. I do own a 430D which I am pleased with. Dan
Kay, that makes more sense. Now I know why it lasted so long...
The 2650 Link-Belt used the same pump, control valve, swing machinery and final drives as the Cat E120. The electronics package and the engines were different. I would put any Isuzu engine with good maintenance against any Cat with good maintenance any day. It is very hard to believe the 2650 only has 7K hours in this amount of time. They were as good as any other excavator built in that time frame. Current condition is the only thing you need to worry about now. That machine does not come close to the machines out now and the age means you will not be able to consistently keep the machine running at high production for any amount of time. Bleeding hydraulic hoses and seals will be the first concern. Hoses and seals have a shelf life. You might see leaking cylinders which is a sign of age or an overheating hydraulic system. There is a computer in the thing but no diagnostics that can tell it is working properly. If you have a Case or Link-Belt dealer near by it might work out well. However there is no guarantee they will have parts for the older machine. Good Luck!