Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Link-Belt 2800

countrylife ยท 2009-09-17 20:29

I have an opportunity to get an early 1990's Link Belt 2800 excavator. I haven't been to see it yet. I've not seen much on these forums about Link Belt so I'm wondering if they are good machines and/or if there is anything unique that I should be aware of.

Replies9
  1. #1heavylift2009-09-17 21:04

    Not many around here either. I've ran one newer one, pretty much the same as any other hoe.. See if they have oil sample tests ..... if they have a place to dig , try it out I ran one in the early 80's .... It had the link belt controls.... I think the swing and bucket are on one control, and the boom and stick on the other control ... We had 6 of them on a waterline job.... Only pain back then was lack of parts... couldn't go to bobbys hose shop for new hose, because bobby didn't have metric hose or fittings... We had a 5400 ... linkbelt had come out and cut holes all over the sheet metal...trying to keep it from overheating... We rented a 7400 back in the 80's . a monster .. I didn't see it hauled in, but was told it was 6 or 7 trucks. I ran it for 1 day .... slow but moved alot of dirt....

  2. #2gggraham2009-09-18 01:29

    The Link Belt 2800 in the early 90's was about the time Case and Sumutoma bought into them. The Case machine were 9010,9020,9030,9040,9050and 9060. I think the 9040 is the same as the 2800. We sold quite a few 9040s and 9030 size machines. They were a very good machine. Only problem is they had a number of cylinder changes and parts are hard to get. The seals are no problems, if not from Linkbelt or Case, Hercules Seals will have them. It's a problem if the gland, Rod or barrel is damaged.They are hard to find and expensive to manufacture at a machine shop. Check with your linkbelt dealer about parts availability. If it is a 1991 or newer the Case 90 series were exactly the same machine except the motor. They may have some parts .

  3. #3RonG2009-09-18 03:06

    I ran a 2800 for years,I am guessing that it was a mid to late 80s machine,as mentioned above it was a Sumitomo product.As with most of the Sumitomo excavators that I have run it was an outstanding machine.It seemed to do everything well.I think I changed a couple of waterpumps on it but aside from that the Mitsubishi engine kept ticking them off.The owner was not big on maintainance,seems like we removed a link in the tracks to keep it going but it still ran good. I did have to remove the computer on it and resolder some connections but it ran just great after that.It was one of those machines that you remember for a long time,it was just a sweet machine to run.Ron G

  4. #4danhoe2009-09-18 22:38

    I own a 2800Q same size as a 9040 Case, love the machine, picked 3 seperation chambers of a semi trailer that weighed 15,000 lbs each, put them in the hole a little heavy but did it did it, has a 1.5 yard bucket on it. Great on fuel the only thing I did to it was put on a catwalk. All kinds of parts if needed, blew one hose had it that afternoon. digger

  5. #5EGS2009-09-19 10:49

    There are a lot of 2800's around here. They are very good like all other Link-belt machines.

  6. #6countrylife2009-09-20 19:51

    Thanks to everyone for the info.

  7. #7excavator222009-09-26 12:06

    Hey Countrylife, not sure where you are in FL, I'm in Jacksonville and there is a company here that sells, services and has parts for Link Belt. If I were you and it ran good, I would get it. I ran a 2800Q up north and just like other Link Belts it ran very well.

  8. #8excavator222009-09-26 12:09

    EGS, how's it going? I was a member of the 139 when I lived in Milwaukee until I moved to FL in '97 and I still have my card. How are things up there? Work is pretty slow here in FL and I've thought about making the move back(if it wasn't for the cold).

  9. #9Wolf2009-09-26 16:02

    Link Belt makes a great no nonsense machine. Lot of power there.