Dealer lots here are absolutely loaded up with standard tandem drive three axle no lift or tag axle trucks. Mostly ex-lease units just sit, price tags are stupidly High as are so many, power train choices are as bad with most being cheapest spec component versions. See a few being set up on axle supports for transfer to another yard or possibly to a wholesale lot maybe even export to Third World destinations. What is the situations around the nation?
I'm kind of shopping for another counterweight truck. But the specs I need, aren't what's usually for sale. I want tall rubber, big power, low gears day cab, with a heavy front axle. With enough wheelbase to mount a 20-24' flatbed. What they want to sell is 3.29's on low pro tires with a 10 liter. 12k front and 38 rears. So I shop for what is close to what I want, and figure I'll add axles and a little frame rail. What ever is easiest to add. I think the LTL companies have been hammered and are selling a lot of stuff, but they probably owe money on them, or they are on the books for a lot of $$. So if they are taking a bankruptcy anyways, why give away the trucks? If I found the right dump truck, I'd pull the bed, but it seems dump trucks have been holding value.
There was an ad on FB marketplace a month or two ago from a used truck/equipment yard that had probably 20-30 new, (either '24-'25 model) tandem dump trucks for sale. I went back and the ad either isn't up anymore or it's buried under new ads. Wish I'd have saved it, seemed odd to me but I'm pretty sure it was legit. I'm just curious how a whole fleet of brand new trucks ends up on a used equipment lot. I don't think they were lease returns, all basically had no miles on them and appeared to be brand new. Did someone order them and back out of the deal? Company bought them and went bankrupt before taking delivery? IDK I don't remember the make, KW or Mack maybe, but they were all brand new and aside from the colors, spec'd nearly identical. Fairly low specs trucks, tandem with no drop axles, small motor, 8ll trans, but they did have floats on the front, pintle hitch on the rear and a nice box, may have been Ox Bodies. They were asking somewhere around $230-240K ea, IIRC.
https://hagermanparts.com/trucks/?part_type=9000/
Something is only worth what people are willing to pay. If nothing's selling then let it rot IMO.
How much do you guys want to offer for this beauty?
my local county is selling a group of 2014-15 western star's and a freightliner. a group of 2008-2009 sterlings, and one 1997 ford 9000 with a 3406. All on the same auction. Guess which one I'm shopping The old ford is currently more expensive than all the sterlings, and its close to the 2015's. I'm going to talk to the county boys and see how they have gotten along with the western star's and the freightliner. If one of them goes cheap, I might be interested. They have detroits, and either 8LL's or allisons. The sterliings are c-13's or MBE's and I think they all have busted up dash's. I bet the old ford brings more than any of the sterlings. Used Construction, Agricultural Equip., Trucks, Trailers & more Transform your operations with our heavy equipment auctions! Browse through farm equipment, construction equipment, and more. ✓ Check online today! www.purplewave.com
Paccar Leasing has a huge lot full of used truck tractors here next to the Peterbilt plant. I bet they have at least 10 acres of trucks on this lot. I have been told they are lease returns that are now for sale. I see the name of several large trucking companies on the doors of these rigs. This lot seems to have a pretty good turnover rate, but stays full almost all the time. There are several locations around here close, that each have probably 50 or 60 new Peterbilts, awaiting delivery. This is all in addition to the one hundred + trucks stored on the Peterbilt plant site. Another big lot at Custom Vehicle Solutions, holds over 100 trucks waiting to be rigged up before delivery. I just don't know who is buying all of these trucks. And this is only Peterbilt.
My rule nowadays is if it was ever a plow truck/spreader truck I don't want it at any price. Doesn't matter how new or old it is, or how good it appears, there will eventually be corrosion related problems. BTDT, not worth it....
Like concrete mixers, rode severe, dropped a time or two with High hours no miles. Worn Slick.
For that matter is always a few old mixers come up for sale, heavy frames, heavy running gear, generally intermediate engines and often automatics. 10-12 years young and not pretty but work hard.
I've looked at a couple mixers. My guys prefer air ride, and the mixers are all underpowered. The interiors get used hard also. Housby in Des Moines must have some kind of rebuild process, they have quite a few uses mixer chassis up for sale. They had a pretty clean Mack under $20,000. I was surprised that the county trucks up for auction - most are listed with climate control not working. I thought the county guys kept that stuff up .
Not around here CO. Ever looked back to Reagan’s scrap lot?
He's got a pretty nice mack that would work for me, but its a little more than I want to spend. He's got a couple of sterlings overpriced also. Here's the mack he has: Loading.... Here's a example of what housby is selling as old mixer chassis: 2008 MACK GRANITE GU813 For Sale in Des Moines, Iowa 2008 MACK GRANITE GU813 For Sale in Des Moines, Iowa at TruckPaper.com. 2009 Mack GU Cab & Chassis. MP7 405hp engine, 8LL Manual transmission. 18k front axle, 44k rear. . 228" Cab to end of frame. Truck is through our shop and ready to work. Service notes attached. SOLD AS IS WHERE IS... www.truckpaper.com
Mack at reagans Mack at Housby
The counties here buy new KW and Mack tri-axles with 500 HP and autos. Finance them on a 12 month balloon note and send to auction before the note matures. They don't pay tax or FET and get better gov't pricing than someone off the street. Usually sell the trucks for what they paid or more. Never make a payment and always have new trucks... Finally something gov't does that's smart. 52nd Annual Fall Auction - Montgomery, AL - Trucks - Page 1 of 4 - JM Wood (BETA) J.M. Wood Auction Company, Inc. - 52nd Annual Fall Auction - Montgomery, AL - Trucks - Montgomery, Alabama beta-jmwood.liveauctiongroup.com
Sterlings are overpriced at any price, no parts support anymore, orphans. Housby unit No Bling, also Standard tires/wheels front, either one needs 315s, and yes Reagan is over priced as shows as little moves there.
They weren't a very rugged truck either IMO. At least the ones built in the mid-2000's anyways. Company I worked at years ago had one that was 3 years old and it was a hunk of crap compared to the 3-6 year old Western Stars doing the same job.
Lots of sterlings in the oil field around here I was guessing because it was cheap, yep they are cheap. A local mechanic just built a dash out of sheet metal for one recently
Looks like big exhaust, so L10? Looks too new to be a 290, maybe the county guys that bought it splurged and ordered a NTC?? I'll give you $2500 for it.
3.50
C12 @380 HP. I really wanted to put it in my truck but it's SAE #1 and my DT466 is SAE 2. Your offer is $1k more than the scrap/partout guy that came and looked at it. The owner seems to think he can get $6-7k. It's been sitting for several years so it's quite rusty. I did evict the yellow jackets though.
Yank the C12 and sell it yourself, then scrap the rest of the truck. If it drives on its own, Facebook Marketplace @ $5000 and wait. Someone will buy it.
Always a diamond to the current owner even as is a terd laying in the weeds.
A turd laying in the weeds is much better than a turd laying in a well traveled lawn, especially in flip flop season. I will be here all week! Lol
Don't worry by the time someone comes around buy it The engine will probably be bad by then
If the owner didn't think it was worth so much and if I wasn't so busy with regular work I would consider parting it out myself.