Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

M983A4 Wrecker

Towbarman ยท 2025-09-08 10:40

I have a M 983A4 wrecker that the driver side out rigger is not retracting. The unit has changed out the driver side valve body, nothing happened. I changed out the 2 solenoids to see if that had any effect. The mechanic thinks he installed them wrong. When I was messing with it, I notice that when I worked the lever for outrigger that it jerks. I think the system may have a air blockage. Anyway, any help will be appreicated. Thanks

Replies1
  1. #1monkeyswrench2025-09-13 04:31

    Don't know much about the wrecker myself, but... It sounds like a spool valve issue, like the pilot seals are bleeding by. That said, you said you replaced the valve. Does this have failsafe type solenoids on the rams? If so, I'd check the wiring, and for activation. Usually an air pocket will make it slow and noisy, but bleed out pretty quick.