Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Loader Frame Raising Tractor Up

LonestarCobra ยท 2009-11-10 21:16

My New Holland Skid Steer LS 170 2003 model played a trick on me. I left it with the post hole digger on the front and the next morning the front wheels were two feet off the ground. I ran it and later put the bucket on and parked it for the night again, and same thing the next morning. Today I was doing other things without the skid steer, so I tilted the bucket down and watched it raise itself up with the engine dead. And yes I know they are supposed to be parked bucket flat, but when it did it with the auger on I got curious as to when and why it did it. I have a good idea what is going on, just wondered if anyone else has seen this happen.

Replies3
  1. #1bobcatfixeruper2009-11-11 09:58

    Is your boom spool valve leaking? I have a bobcat 843 that does the same thing infact I am just about to remove the spool valves and rebuild because of this exact thing. Over a short period of time the boom will drop on its own due to weight > pressure on hydraulics causing leakdown on that spool circuit.

  2. #2Bumpsteer2009-11-11 12:54

    Thats what normally happens when you do what you did. The contact point out in front of the machine provides leverage and the rear tires act as a pivot point. The machine won't move backwards so it rotates. I see the crew installing cable barrier on the freeway leaving their machines like that, boom up, auger point on the ground. Makes NO sense to me. Ed

  3. #3LonestarCobra2009-11-11 18:40

    Thats kinda what I figured. I think the piston packing and valve probably have just enough wear to let enough oil go by and do that. That was the first time I parked the machine like that for what reason I dont know, I just did it.