I'm looking to buy a l885 new holland skid steer but it has a oil leak that I can't find the source after removing the side covers, raising the seat and removing the floor plate. I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with holes in the oil tank since they are plastic. The leak seems to drip all the time through the rear hole in the skid plate under the engine. The owner is recovering from a stroke and can't help. The loader has 3700 hours on it. Thanks
UV dye and a black light is your best friend
There are a lot of hoses under the drive pump, they rub together and cause leaks and a find and fix but would recommend not using it till you fix it
I'm assuming your talking about putting the dye in the tank and running a light through the mess of hoses and pumps. I used a mirror as much as possible. Access is a problem around the tank where i think it is leaking. The sun was very bright yesterday and I found it hard to see anything.
I looked under the pumps and it seemed dry there otherwise the oil would have run out of the opening under the pump. Its running out of the back access hole or opening. Thanks,
You could also try stalling up different circuits to see if the oil leaks out, but use gloves when looking for the leak and a good wash before you start would help you
You could also try taking pictures with your phone in places you can't see
I ran it up on a set of ramps and it poured out of the back hole in the bottom so I think the problem is in the suction line or the tank has a hole. I'm looking at another machine now but I may go back and buy this one if I can get it cheap enough to justify the cost of fixing it. I have enough equipment that needs work. Thanks Bulldog
No worries, you could also apply compressed air to the tank and see if you see the oil come out around the tank. I have seen people run their machines dry of oil and lock up the HST pump, which is around 1/3 of the cost of the machine, their are no alarms to worn you of low hydraulic oil, so do not use it if you don't fix the oil leak, this is also why services are critical to find worn hoses before you loose all you oil. Thanks Bulldog
Please check the dipstick between the left and right servo drive under the seat. If the servo pump seals are bad, they will leak into the motor gear housing and overflow out the dipstick tube. this is a fairly common problem with lx885 skid steers.