Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for resources on the basics of Heavy Equipment repair

runt ยท 2016-10-28 18:44

I'm looking for some resources to familiarize myself with the basics of heavy equipment repair and maintenance. I'm an apprentice operator that spends a fair amount of time in the shop when I'm not out in the field operating and right now if I'm in the shop I am either welding/fabricating (the field from which I came) or helping mechanics. I am good with my hands, so I have no trouble doing what they tell me, but I lack a good understanding of why I'm doing the things I am and I definitely don't know how to diagnose an issue. Now, I as I said, my primary focus is on operating equipment so I'm not required to learn mechanics as part of my apprenticeship, however I like to learn and I like to do a varied amount of work, so I'd like to at least be able to understand basic mechanics topics. Can anyone recommend any books, videos, etc. that I can use after work hours to step my knowledge up?

Replies3
  1. #1Cmark2016-10-28 18:57

    You're looking at probably one of the best sources of knowledge right now. Just keep browsing this forum and you'll find lots of threads where we've puppy-walked people through basic troubleshooting and repairs.

  2. #2JD955SC2016-10-28 23:23

    Electrical troubleshooting and repair https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Specialties-182-Fundamental-Troubleshooting/dp/B004IKPUN0

  3. #3Zimbo2016-11-04 19:14

    That's the best book I ever bought on electrics....