Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Long 610 CVA pump timing

HoeHoeHoe · 2025-08-11 09:36

My uncle has a long 610, a year or 2 ago the injection pump was rebuilt and he installed it. But it was hard starting, he would have to plug block heater in even when it was over 70F. I told him to check his valve lash but he was stubborn. I asked if he timed the pump when it was installed and he said he just put it back on and where ever it ended up when thought was good. Now he checked the pump timing and it needed to be rotated a bit to line up with the lines on the mounting flange to the gear housing, I assume this is correct as the shop manual pictures don't match the machine exactly. Now it won't start at all even plugged in, I assume there's something else that's the problem ( valves). Just want confirmation that timing the pump via the marks on the flange is correct for cva pump?

Replies5
  1. #1thepumpguysc2025-08-11 12:05

    If there’s only 1 chisel mark on the block, it’s probably correct. BUT if there’s 10* marks.. 0-5 on one side and 0-5 on the other of the 0..it’s anyone’s guess.. If it WAS STARTING & u moved it and now it doesn’t.. move it back and go further, about a dimes width. Being a “vintage” Long, u probably have some gear train wear u have to take up..

  2. #2HoeHoeHoe2025-08-11 12:45

    I'll have to look again, bit there looked to be only one mark.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-08-11 13:09

    Is it possible to put it back to the old pump paint marks on the block.?

  4. #4HoeHoeHoe2025-08-11 13:46

    I'll look and see, I vaguely remember there being a paper gasket? I'll see what I can find when I look at it.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2025-08-11 14:04

    Yes they do have a paper gasket between the pump and block.