Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing cylinder seals on 580c- where does this seal go?

dirtyoldhoe · 2025-08-11 15:18

Lots of leaky seals on this old hoe. I'm working on fixing the worst offenders first. This is an early model 580c with 2 piece pistons. There's a flat white seal that was included in the seal kit Its relatively soft. I can't seem to figure out where it goes. It seems like the only place it would fit is underneath the wiper seal...but if I put it under the wiper seal, then it seems like the wiper seal will sit too high in the gland. I attached a photo and pointed out the seal. Does anyone know where it goes?

Replies6
  1. #1nova4812025-08-11 16:38

    Hello from the New Jersey A lot of seal kits have extra parts for other applications, you probably don’t need them for yours.

  2. #2Swetz2025-08-11 17:14

    Looks like the seal that goes under the gland seal. The gland seal looks to be the one above the one you pointed out. As nova said, there is a chance your cylinder does not need this seal.

  3. #3alrman2025-08-11 17:24

    That seal is called a buffer ring. If it is to be used, the gland will have a specific groove between the pressure seal & bearing. 580C's generally would not use that seal unless a gland has been replaced with a new one. If your gland doesn't have that groove, the buffer ring is to be discarded.

  4. #4NH575E2025-08-11 17:54

    On my NH cylinders that would be a buffer seal. Note the direction the notch is facing if it has one.

  5. #5stinky642025-08-11 18:03

    Rebuilt every cylinder on my 76 C machine with 2 piece pistons and had lots of parts left over from kits, OEM and aftermarket. It's a universal thing.

  6. #6dirtyoldhoe2025-08-11 18:13

    I appreciate the replies!