Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Long pants

Kiwi-truckwit · 2018-04-03 17:11

Unfortunately, due to the Australian and UK influence on our H&S policies, more and more sites every day are requiring long pants to be worn. I've been resisting, because I overheat easily and have always been a shorts and singlet kinda guy, but the time has come. So what are you guys using, that's lightweight, strong, and breathable? I'm a tallish guy, but long in the body rather than the legs, and because I'm always climbing onto cranes, truck decks, awkward loads to be rigged etc, most of my pants tend to rip the crotch out long before they get worn out. So any suggestions from you guys as to what you're using and how they perform would be much appreciated!

Replies8
  1. #1Cmark2018-04-03 18:25

    JB's Wear make a range of pants they call "light" which I've recently got turned on to. They're the only thing I'll wear in the summer now.

  2. #2repowerguy2018-04-03 18:40

    I don’t know about the availability outside the U.S. , but I wear Dickies cargo pocket pants. I have some close to two years old and they are still in good condition. I’m in and out of mixers and do a lot of climbing on ready mix plants, from the silo climb to the overhead compartment catwalk jaunt. They are reasonably comfortable in the Ohio valley humidity in summer time. The pants are pretty affordable too, $30.00 USD or so.

  3. #3DMiller2018-04-03 19:00

    If you really want Light, look into Medical Scrubs. VERY light although not the handiest item to keep pulled up(Tie at waist) We had to wear them to replace shorts 'Modesty' garments when working inside protective clothing at the nuke I worked in. Modesty garments started when a Good Ol' Boy named "Tex" came out of the containment building, stripped off the protective suit then waddled out to count out in his cowboy boot safety shoes, PERIOD. Swinging In the Wind!! We also had less than shy women who wore really pretty panties and bras, came strolling thru the building as if not bothered!!

  4. #4Kiwi-truckwit2018-04-03 19:07

    I've seen Dickies around here, I think they're stocked in the safety shops. Same as JBs wear, our company shirts come from then, but I haven't seen any pants apart from the heavy black ones. Currently I'm wearing Bisley, but they're so bloody heavy its unbearable. Cheers guys, I have a couple to check out now.

  5. #5Kiwi-truckwit2018-04-03 19:09

    Wow! I can be casual when staying at our accommodation, but not THAT casual.

  6. #6Cmark2018-04-03 19:14

    In fact I'm wearing them right now.

  7. #7Canadian_digger2018-04-03 20:57

    Maybe you could get away with pants like these. They have a mesh bottom.

  8. #8Kiwi-truckwit2018-04-03 21:33

    Interesting.... I've never seen anything like that available here, but I'll do some digging