Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Long reach to standard boom question

peeples06 ยท 2023-04-18 09:40

I've got a Hyundai 290lc-3 and I'm wondering if I have to adjust anything in the hydraulics when changing from a long reach to a standard boom? It seems kind of slow. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1uffex2023-04-18 10:35

    Good day To be sure are we talking boom or arm or maybe both? Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2peeples062023-04-18 11:07

    We changed out the boom and stick, to a standard size. Overall the hydraulics for both boom and stick feel a bit slow. This was my first time ever doing a switch like this

  3. #3uffex2023-04-18 11:20

    Good day I suggest you time the cylinder movement, start the timing from the point of cylinder movement, not as you pull the lever. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4Tones2023-04-18 15:40

    Years ago I helped to set up a long reach boom on Hitachi UH09 and it was a requirement to slow down the slew speed. That may be the case here but with a different method.

  5. #5excavator2023-04-19 11:24

    Most functions on a long reach are going to be slower than standard. Not sure about Hyundai but Deere/Hitachi also had additional valving for slowing down the boom drop. I'm thinking you are going to have to reset everything after doing the cylinder timing like Uffex said.

  6. #6skyking12023-04-19 12:27

    I agree with all of the above. All the long reaches I've run were dialed down, just a straight part swap would be slow.