Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking at a Case 590SM

masterwelder ยท 2019-03-10 10:01

I'm planning to go look at a 2008 Case 590SM II. 4x4 ext hoe pilot controls 6770hrs. I'm not familiar at all with Case. I know my way around equipment so I know the basics, but what are the particulars with this model and series? Was this one of the better backhoes? Would the hours be a concern? The guy said it was owned by a town. Could be some idle time... Any wisdom would be great. This machine is about 3 1/2 hours away from me.

Replies11
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-03-10 15:51

    It has been quite a while since I ran one for a contractor I worked for. I really liked running it. Nice AC and cab heater. I struggled with the backhoe controls because I was used to Caterpillar pattern controls. Actually I hated the 590 pattern ! In regards to hours - I would be more concerned with the condition of the machine, especially the tightness of the backhoe pins and bushings.

  2. #2kith2019-03-11 07:37

    W With pilot controls Case machine has a rocker switch to change control pattern .

  3. #3AzIron2019-03-11 07:56

    Hours are just a number to a point like was already stated see how tight the pins and bushings are that will tell the whole story Typically municipal backhoes are used as wheel barrows

  4. #4Tinkerer2019-03-11 10:08

    The contractor I worked for had several 590s, none of them had pilot controls.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2019-03-12 19:38

    The 590s are good strong machines excellent balance and power.

  6. #6KSSS2019-03-17 12:43

    I have a 2011 N series 590 so not exactly the same, but it is an excellent backhoe. I am not sure when they started with the extra power on the boom, but its craning ability is really impressive. Used to need an excavator to set septic tanks, not with this hoe. The pilots are quick but once you get on to the feel, I wouldn't want it any other way. I ran a new CAT 420 F and while I liked the loader function of the machine, I felt the boom was incredibly slow in comparison to the CASE pilots. I have not had any issues to speak of, sensor on the water in fuel went out, and replaced a hose under the machine. Check it over as you would any machine, but speaking to the machine itself, pretty outstanding.

  7. #7Casemechanic2019-03-18 11:59

    Wheres the machine M series seem to hold up well.

  8. #8Tunneldigger2019-03-24 20:59

    I have a anniversary one. It is not pilot controls. I love it! The issues I have had, the boom piston broke at a groove. I took it to a machine shop and had them make one. We moved the groove slightly so it wouldn't happen again and cheaper than OEM. The radiator is hard to blow out. The 4 wheel drive seems to stick engaged, we shut it off and it goes out. Also had the flex plate on the torque converter shatter. There are problems but having a backhoe on a farm is awesome. I have ran them alot but never owned one. I can set a 1500 gallon septic with mine. I got a big 3 ft bucket on mine. I got 2 smaller buckets but they don't have depth of the 3 footer. When I got it the guy asked if we wanted the deep one or the shallow one he had both. Again awesome having it.

  9. #9Coy Lancaster2019-03-24 21:20

    Good to know that you like your machine. There are always issues with equipment as you well know, if you go to Harbor Freight if you have one close by you can get a blower that is made for blowing out radiators, the air comes out the side instead of the end.

  10. #10Tunneldigger2019-03-24 21:26

    I made one but they have fins close and the cooling radiators close too. My son just needs to put a sheet over the front to keep silage out of it! It doesn't run long enough to get hot loading.

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2019-03-25 08:23

    Or get some fine screen wire to cover the front