Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What grease do you use

onemank6 ยท 2012-06-16 22:21

I have had different tractors over the years and have always dreaded greasing the pins for the loaders and backhoes i usually just buy grease by the case from local tsc store but have always wondered if there is a long lasting grease out there somewhere so i dont need to grease as often. I do keep up with it but dont look forward to it i am always fighting the grease gun it wants to leak around the tip of the gun and the zert until it is lined up just right and it seals.Are there any guns and zerts better than others hope to hear some ideas thanks

Replies20
  1. #1SeaMac2012-06-16 22:49

    There is a member here called "blitz138" he knows his stuff regarding grease and lubricants in general, I'm certain he'll see your thread and reply. As for the whole greasing process I couldn't agree more it's a dirty but absolutely necessary job. I use a Lincoln Cordless Model 1860 and haven't had any problem with it. I might be wrong and there are numerous extremely knowledgeable technicians here to correct me if I am but, as I understand it and it's been my experience if you don't keep the hose tip free of debris it will not seat well on the Zerk fitting and grease will squirt out. I also keep spare Zerks in case they go bad and they do now and again. Be patient, there's enough brain power in here to solve any equipment related issues.

  2. #2Deon2012-06-16 22:50

    I can't wait to read the answer to you question about the leaky tip. I also have the same problem. I also have a Lincolin cordless model. It makes life a lot better as you can use one hand to hold the tip on the zerk but leaking is many times an issue.

  3. #3SeaMac2012-06-16 23:05

    Here's what I do to keep the tip from leaking everywhere. First, I take a cheap screwdriver and clean around the Zerk if it's recessed and they usually are. Second, I take a rag and wipe the Zerk off real well. Third, I shoot a little bit of brake cleaner on the Zerk. Fourth, I always keep my tip clean of junk and debris. I do all the above religiously and don't have any leakage. It works for me but I too would like to hear from other's how they eliminate the dreaded "leakage".

  4. #4onemank62012-06-16 23:19

    I used to have one of the air operated ones and it was a piece of junk so i bought a new manual one with a hard pipe on it but you still fight the leaky tip then sometimes when you do get it to seal it wont take grease because the zerk has gotten dirt in it so you have to remove the zerk and sometimes clean it or end up replacing it i have even had to knock pins half way out to get them to take grease and it really ticks me off when i put a new tube in the gun and half of it is wasted on leaking zerks. I do have better luck with pins with the zerks ins the pin itself im real curious to see what everyone else has to say

  5. #5blitz1382012-06-17 00:11

    There is a huge difference in grease tips. The best that I know of is Alemite, same manufacturer as the grease pumps, meters..... Alemite does make there own and are all made in USA they're not too much more than the cheap asian crap. There might be other good ones out there but Alemites are the best I know of. Lincoln makes a good grease gun but Alemite has a little bit better one, it all about the battery.....I prefer Lincoln products usually but for fittings and cordless grease guns Alemite has them beat. As far as a grease goes I could recommend alot of different ones, I would stay away from lithium greases as they are usually pretty cheap. If a company has taken the time and effort to make a decent Aluminum or Calcium Sulph grease I would go with it. Without knowing your working conditions its hard to really say. You sig says Michigan so I would guess you deal with significant water issues.....If you can find a product data sheet on any grease your looking at that will help a ton, your looking for 4ball weld and wear for EP characteristics, for water look at ASTM test 1264 water washout.... Keep in mind that when your greasing your also preventing contamination....if grease is coming out, dirt is not going in. I am a firm believer in auto lube systems, Lincoln makes a good one, Groenveld has a decent one too. With autolubbers you only have to fill the reservoir instead of crawling all over. I really believe autolubbers extend equipment, a little grease applied more often works much much better then one big shot at the end of the day. If you want more details about autolubbers let me know. Of course I work for Bel-ray so I would recommend For heavy water work http://www.belray.com/sites/default/files/pds_files/Termalene Heavy Duty Construction Grease_0.pdf For super EP http://www.belray.com/sites/default...lube 5% Moly Extreme Pressure Grease AC_2.pdf

  6. #6DPete2012-06-17 11:06

    Agree with the Alemite ends, if you have a good end and it still leaks replace the zerk. I use Chevron Black Pearl #2 in 120 lb drums and then fill the hand guns via a zerk in the top of the gun with the pneumatic gun, seldom use tubes this way. We grease scrapers every day they run.

  7. #7rabia2012-06-26 06:40

    Lubriplate grease i used....

  8. #8daverd42012-06-26 13:33

    Chevron Ultra Duty 2 has worked for me for thirty years in the trucking world

  9. #9hougie2012-06-26 21:59

    Has anyone used the certified labs grease? My all knowing chief let a salesman talk him into buying 48 tubes of it.

  10. #10blitz1382012-06-27 00:46

    Certified Labs makes some decent grease. What is it being used on?

  11. #11ScottAR2012-06-27 22:18

    Mystic high temp with moly.

  12. #12tylermckee2012-06-28 01:16

    Usually chevron starplex or ultra duty. I prefer the ultra duty, seems to hold a little longer.

  13. #13tuney4432012-06-28 11:15

    Schaeffer with moly all the way.Aluminum complex.I use a Lincoln 14.4 gun,tried that Alemite brand years ago,didn't care much for it.Change the coupler once in a while and most leaking will be non existant.I remember years ago the jaws could be rebuilt on them--definitely a blast from the past.

  14. #14PhilDirt2012-06-28 13:55

    I have very good luck with Lincoln couplers, no leakage and they stay on the zerk until you yank it off. I use a Milwaukee cordless gun, the battery will last for 6 tubes of grease and very seldom gets air bound. I like Kendall SHP grease, the specs of it are very good, I use it because it has a high resistance to being washed out.

  15. #15mudober2012-06-28 21:55

    I bought the Milwaukee gun awhile back and love it. I sold my Lincoln 14v at auction. As for the grease i will buy anything that isn't black.

  16. #16blitz1382012-06-28 23:30

    Why would color make a difference?

  17. #17kellek2012-06-29 09:30

    EP2- Mobil Extreme Pressure 2... is the best... kind regards,

  18. #18RBMcCloskey2012-07-03 18:41

    I have used DA Lubracants for 40 years and never had a problem. DA Duraplex Grease is a Moly grease that lasts, is water proof and will not pound out, it is also like snot sticks to anything it touches. There engine oils and hydraulic oils are just as good. www.DALUBE.com

  19. #19onemank62012-07-03 22:24

    where are you buying this dalube that sounds like good stuff thanks

  20. #20blitz1382012-07-05 13:45

    DA Duraplex uses a barium thickner.....Barium is a heavy metal and is highly toxic. There have been talks about it being banned in a few countries. IF your ever forced to switch be careful as it doenst mix well with most other greases.