Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking for a case backhoe, reprise, GOT ONE!

n175h · 2010-02-13 20:36

I bought a 580B. I decided to quit looking for L's super L's M's, auctions, etc. I bought from an individual who really cared for it and was very helpful in showing me all its quirks, etc. The machine runs great. All the cylinders have been repacked, 4 new tires, and new battery. I'm going to replace all the gauges and get all the lights working. Thanks for all your help in leading me through this. First question. Since I don't have a manual yet, I want to replace the oil pressure gauge. The small nylon tube is hanging by the engine block. There is a sensor in the block that powers the "oil lite" on the dash. Where does the nylon line screw to the case? I attached a picture showing the sender (on the left) and another pipe plug (pointing at with my screwdriver). The old oil pressure line is hanging behind the tube. Can I plug the nylon tube into this hole and keep the light sender where it is? Also, there are many cd manuals available on line. Who has the best one? There will be many more questions to come Thanks, David

Replies13
  1. #1NHGus2010-02-13 21:58

    Congrats on the new machine, I'm still looking for one myself, your previous thread was very helpful to those of us backhoe newbies.

  2. #2willie592010-02-13 22:13

    Really nice find n175h. You do realize your going to make Phil drool over that one. Phil will be able to tell you anything you want to know about your B. Probably won't be here until tommorow though.

  3. #3handtpipeline2010-02-14 01:40

    Looks like a nice machine. Is it a power shuttle, or mechanical shuttle? (Clutch or torque converter) We had 4 b's that were mechanical, and 1 that was torque converter if I remember right. The mechanical ones we had also had the skinny front tires, and the torque converter model had the flotation type fronts. I sometimes with I still had an old B, just to keep around the shop. Not really that big of a deal, the new backhoe either gets hauled in and parked inside the shop every night, or I just bring it home with me. But it's kind of a pain to have to haul a machine to the shop just to load a piece of pipe, or a bucket or something. I learned to operate a backhoe on a 580B, and while they're not as "fancy" as a newer one, they'll get the job done. If they're in good shape, don't have a lot of slop in the pins and bushings, they're nice to run. One thing to watch for, if it seems like the whole backhoe attachment moves when applying down pressure with the bucket, check to make sure you don't have a loose or broken tie-bolt.

  4. #4Phil2010-02-14 06:45

    Drool, drool , very nice unit. The plug you are pointing to is the engine block coolant drain. I recommend not using a mechanical oil pressure gauge on these machines, because the oil line is too easily damaged. Best to go with an electrical unit if needed. Originally the B never had an oil pressure gauge, I believe. A previous owner probably had a 1/8" tee mounted so the idiot light would work too, so you would have to go that route, either at the engine block or the rear of the gauge. There might be a 1/8" pipe plug in the same oil gallery, up front, under the injection pump, I'm not sure. Phil

  5. #5n175h2010-02-14 10:02

    I agree with you Phil. I didn't like the looks of the setup with a nylon line strapped from the dash down the engine to the plug on the case. I think I'll find a electric sender and gauge. Handpipe. It is a mechanical shuttle with a clutch, and the PO put the wide floatation tires on the front. There is a slight misalignment where the pin drops in to secure the boom tower from swinging left or right while driving. Not sure what that means. There is no slop that I can see in that pivot point. There is some looseness in one of the pins farther up the boom. I'll have to give that a good inspection. The PO told me the man he bought it from had it overhauled a few years back, but of course no paperwork. It starts right up with no smoke at all. Anyone have any ideas on the best manual to buy? There are several CD versions out there, all about the same price. I just wonder which one is the best. Is this the right operator manual for a mechanical shuttle machine? http://cgi.ebay.com/Case-580B-Hydro...ItemQQptZBI_Books_Manuals?hash=item3a520f9877 David

  6. #6drifter590sl2010-02-14 12:08

    nice

  7. #7diggerdave19582010-02-14 15:37

    Nice Backhoe, just to let u know if u go to the Case website they have parts manuals online for there older machines i have use the site for parts on my 580SE i only have a CD for the maintanance & repair which i got on EBAY for under $20.00 i belive and good luck with the new "hoe" LoL

  8. #8Tinkerer2010-02-14 20:52

    Here is what I did in regards to the oil pressure gauge on my Case 680. I used 1/8" stainless steel pipe (for extra strength) for both the oil pressure gauge and warning light switch. I used a tee in the line close to the block so I had two connection points for the gauge and switch. I made a full length protective sleeve out 1/4" air brake line that would reach from the back of the gauge in the dashboard to the tee. I then inserted the oil gauge line (1/8" plastic) that actually carries the pressure inside of that air line. It was a tight fit. I used enough ty-wraps to make sure that the protected line didn't rub on anything. I paid about $12.00 for a SunPro illuminated mechanical oil pressure gauge at a local AutoZone store.

  9. #9n175h2010-02-16 22:43

    I got all the lights, and gauges working. Water temp runs constant 190. Oil pressure is about 80lbs. I drove it up and down the road. It really scoots in 4th gear. The brakes work pretty good, but a bit noisy. May be some rust getting ground off. I did notice a bounce in a loose pin/on the lower part of the boom tower. It is pretty loose and I think I want to see about replacing it. I cannot find a parts catalog on the CNH site that details the digger and bucket. How do you identify parts for this? (edit). I just found it for the C model on the CNH site. I will look it over and see how it goes together. I have attached a picture of the loose joint. Is there a bushing in there? or just a pin through the joint? David

  10. #10n175h2010-02-16 22:56

    Here is a picture of the boom assembly. The slop is in the eye of the boom hydrolic cylinder (20). I don't see any looseness in the boom tower (9) or the bushing (10). Is it normal to be loose and bounce when driving down the road? Print Image Print List Print Both Return to Catalog 580C CASE CONSTRUCTION KING LOADER BACKHOE 462 TOWER, BOOM, DIPPER ARM AND BUCKET 580C CASE CONSTRUCTION KING LOADER BACKHOE 462 TOWER, BOOM, DIPPER ARM AND BUCKET Key Qty Part Number Part Name Description 1 1 D67791 Bracket Tower - Swing, See Figure 458 For Swing Cylinder And Frame Attaching Parts And Hose Guards, Includes: Ref. 2 2 2 D49429 Bushing Bushing - At Boom Cylinder, Closed End 3 4 13-812 Bolt Bolt - Hex, 1/2" - 13 Nc X 3/4" 4 4 92-8 Lock Washer 1/2" 5 2 D50149 Block Block - Pin Locking, D50149 Block - The Block Welded To Swing Tower Which This Part Mates To Is Part Nbr D50147. 6 Reserved 7 2 D50700 Pin Pin - Boom To Swing Tower, D50700 Pin - For Pin Which Goes All The Way Through Order D91240 (held In By Snap Ring At Each End) - Refer To 580D Or 580E Parts Boo 8 2 219-1 Lube Nipple Fitting - Grease, Straight, 1/8" Npt 9 1 D69988 Boom Boom - Backhoe, Includes: Ref. 9A - 12 9A 2 D50004 Block Block - Tapped, Welded To Boom 10 2 D50698 Bushing Bushing - Boom Pivot 11 2 D95362 Bushing Bushing - Boom Cylinder Anchor 12 2 D31142 Bushing Bushing - Dipper Pivot 12A UAR 72990 Washer Washer - Flat, .06" (1.52 Mm) Thick 13 1 D37416 Bushing Spacer - Bushing 13A UAR D44813 Shim Shim, .035" Thk, Spacer, Between Swing Tower And Boom 14 1 D55996 Shaft Shaft - Pivot, Boom Lock 15 2 D56051 Snap Ring Ring, Snap, #137, Ext, Pin 15A UAR 195-2140 Washer Washer - Flat 15B 1 D75674 Lever Lever And Latch - Transport Lock 15C 1 D63988 Spring Spring - Transport Latch 15D 1 D75300 Knob Grip - Handle, Plastic, If Used 16 2 D49866 Pin, Large Pin - Boom Cylinder To Tower 16A 2 219-1 Lube Nipple Fitting - Grease, Straight, 1/8" Npt 17 2 13-656 Bolt Bolt - Hex, 3/8" - 16 Nc X 3-1/2" 18 2 131-352 Lock Nut Nut - Hex, Lock, 3/8" - 16 Nc 19 UAR D28610 Washer Washer - Special, If Used 20 2 REF Instruction Cylinder - Hydraulic, Boom, See Figure 400 Or 402 21 1 REF Instruction Cylinder - Hydraulic, Dipper, See Figure 404 Or 406 22 2 13-864 Bolt Bolt, Hex, 1/2"-13 X 4", G5 23 1 D49865 Pin, Large Pin - Boom Cylinder To Boom 24 2 131-354 Lock Nut Nut - Hex, Lock, 1/2" - 13 Nc 25 UAR 195-2155 Washer Washer - Flat 26 2 219-1 Lube Nipple Fitting - Grease, Straight, 1/8" Npt 26 2 219-55 Lube Nipple Nipple, Lube, 90�, 1/8" Npt X .84" Lg, If Used, Not Shown 26 2 219-89 Lube Nipple Fitting - Grease, 45�, 1/8" Npt, If Used, Not Shown 27 Reserved 28 1 D72359 Pin, Large Pin - Dipper Cylinder To Boom 29 2 D25280 Snap Ring Ring, Snap, #175, Ext, Pin 30 1 D52522 Pin, Large Pin - Dipper Cylinder To Dipper 31 2 D25280 Snap Ring Ring, Snap, #175, Ext, Pin 32 UAR 195-2152 Washer Washer - Flat, .105" (2.67 Mm) Thick 32A UAR 30575 Washer Washer - Flat, .0625" (1.59 Mm) Thick 33 2 D26919 Snap Ring Ring, Snap, #200, Ext, Pin 34 UAR 195-2155 Washer Washer - Flat, .105" (2.67 Mm) Thick 34A UAR D44813 Shim Shim, .035" Thk, Pin (0.89 Mm) 35 1 D45523 Pin, Large Pin - Boom To Dipper 36 1 219-55 Lube Nipple Nipple, Lube, 90�, 1/8" Npt X .84" Lg 37 2 D25280 Snap Ring Ring, Snap, #175, Ext, Pin 38 UAR 195-2152 Washer Washer - Flat 39 1 D52522 Pin, Large Pin - Dipper To Bucket Cylinder 40 1 D77895 Boom Dipper Arm - Backhoe, Includes: Refs. 41 - 45 41 2 D52434 Bushing Bushing - Dipper, At Dipper Cylinder 42 2 D31142 Bushing Bushing - Dipper, At Boom 43 2 D34340 Bushing Bushing - Dipper, At Bucket Cylinder 44 2 D50146 Bushing Bushing - Dipper, At Bucket Links 45 2 D55626 Bushing Bushing - Dipper, At Bucket 46 1 REF Instruction Cylinder - Hydraulic, Bucket, See Figure 408 Or 410 For Proper Cylinder 47 UAR D25280 Snap Ring Ring, Snap, #175, Ext, Pin 48 4 195-2152 Washer Washer - Flat, .105" (2.67 Mm) Thick 49 2 D53818 Pin, Large Pin - Bucket Linkage To Dipper Arm 50 2 D77725 Washer Washer - Special, .375" (9.53 Mm) Thick 50A UAR 30575 Washer Washer - Flat, .0625" (1.59 Mm) Thick 51 1 D61088 Link Link - Bucket Cylinder To Dipper Arm, Lh 52 1 D61087 Link Link - Bucket Cylinder To Dipper Arm, Rh, Includes: Ref. 53 And 54 53 1 D46405 Bushing Bushing - Link, At Dipper Arm 54 1 D42788 Bushing Bushing - Link, At Bucket 55 2 D61244 Link Link - Bucket Cylinder To Bucket, Includes: Ref. 56 And 57 56 1 D37495 Bushing Bushing - Link, At Bucket Cylinder 57 1 D30933 Bushing Bushing - Link, At Bucket 58 UAR 195-2152 Washer Washer - Flat 59 2 D25279 Snap Ring Ring - Retaining 60 UAR D28610 Washer Washer - Special 61 1 D30899 Pin, Large Pin - Link To Bucket, Used On Shovel And Ditching Buckets Only 61 1 D37614 Pin Pin - Link To Bucket, Used On All Buckets Except Shovel And Ditching Buckets 62 1 D54218 Pin, Large Pin - Link To Frost Point 63 2 195-63 Washer Washer - Plain 64 2 D25279 Snap Ring Ring - Retaining 65 1 D37450 Bushing Spacer - Link 66 2 219-1 Lube Nipple Fitting - Grease, Straight, 1/8" Npt 67 2 D25280 Snap Ring Ring, Snap, #175, Ext 68 UAR 195-2152 Washer Washer - Flat 69 1 D64799 Pin, Large Pin - Dipper Arm To Bucket, All Buckets Except 12" (305 Mm) Buckets 70 1 D55584 Pin, Large Pin - Dipper Arm To Bucket, Lubricated, 12" (305 Mm) Buckets Only 71 2 219-1 Lube Nipple Fitting - Grease, Straight, 1/8" Npt 72 2 D25280 Snap Ring Ring, Snap, #175, Ext, Pin 73 1 REF Instruction Bucket - Backhoe, See Figures 472 - 478 For Options 74 1 D54136 Support Assy. Body - Frost Tooth, Includes: Ref. 75 75 2 D37495 Bushing Bushing - Frost Tooth Pivot 1 D54136 Support Assy. Point Assembly - Front Tooth, Includes: Ref. 76 And 77 76 1 D83306 Point Point - Tooth, Replaces D43416 Point 77 1 D43417 Pin Pin - Point 78 1 D55082 Pin, Large Pin - Lock, Boom Transport 79 UAR D28610 Washer Washer - Flat, .105" (2.67 Mm) Thick 80 UAR D31312 Washer Washer - Flat, .062" (1.57 Mm) Thick 81 2 D25279 Snap Ring Ring - Retaining, Pin 82 2 195-2152 Washer Washer - Flat, 1-3/4" 83 2 D62468 Guard Guard - Boom Cylinder, If Used 84 4 D62467 Bracket Bracket - Guard Mounting, If Used 85 8 13-548 Cap Bolt - Hex, 5/16" - 18 Nc X 3" 86 8 131-4 Lock Nut Nut - Hex, Lock, 5/16" - 18 Nc 87 2 D45559 Bracket Bracket - Tube Clamp, Welded To Boom, Used With Extendable Dipper 88 1 D52569 Block Block - Tapped, Welded To Boom, Used With Extendable Dipper 89 5 D52843 Block Block - Tapped, Welded To Boom, Used With Extendable Dipper

  11. #11Phil2010-02-17 06:49

    I don't think there are bushings in the end of the boom cylinder tubes. A new pin and tower bushing may help some. The back and forth movement when latched is common on the 'B' as everything starts to wear. Latch systems improved with each model. I think the latch pin, the latch hook, and the mating pin in the boom should be checked also. These are almost always worn bad and probably should be addressed first before looking at any other pivot points. Unhook the spring on the latch and check for play. Grab the mating pin that slides through the boom and give it a wiggle. As a side note, latches should have a good hefty spring on them and a noticeable effort is required to pull the handle back. I have a profile of a good hook, if needed. Phil

  12. #12DKF2010-02-23 20:34

    That is a nice looking older Case backhoe. I just sold a 1968 CK, and bought a 2000 SL. It sure does look like it was taken care of. Don

  13. #13Bob t2010-02-25 20:45

    Sure is a nice looking case backhoe, and looks like it was taken cared for. Good luck with your machine.