Budget: Up to $30,000 Needs: Mostly light to medium duty grading and removing small trees (under 4" dia. pine trees) and brush. I am looking for a non track machine because I want a machine with lower maintenance. I will be using on flat sandy land with occasional standing water. A little better ground clearance is important and I want enough power for the occasional heavier workload. Research so far has me looking at the Case SR220, New Holland L220 and Takeuchi wheel models. I really like those because it looks like the visibility would be good. I live near the Florida Everglades and am concerned about machines with a lot of bells and whistles (electronics) because of the very high humidity we have here but will need a good air conditioner! Would really like to get some input on machines I should be looking at or preferably the exact machine I should get. As always, thanks for your help. Steve
I know you said no tracks, but wheels are terrible in sandy land. Do yourself a favor go rent one of each for the weekend and use it. I would want tracks for sand. Try a TL130.
I would love to get a TL130 or other track machine, but in my budget it seems that I will have to buy a machine with at least 2000 hours and will most likely need a good bit of work looking forward. That's why I have sort of resigned myself the getting a wheeled machine. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for the help. Steve
I agree with Georiga Iron on the tracks if there is any way to swing it. I really liked my JD6675 wheeled skid steer and used it hard clearing property for several years, but anytime it sniffed soft or loose ground, it would get stuck. One option is to put tracks over the wheels, folks who I have spoke with seem to like them.
I have spoken with a boat load of people who wished they never bought the newer NH or Case wheel machines. Many have sold them and have gone back to a low hour older model. IMO, you don't need a dedicated track machine for your application if you want to keep costs down. Buy a set of used OTT tracks for whatever tire machine you find.
I have had limited experience with skid steers mostly 1845B-C Case and one 743 BobCat and 185JCB. If I was in the market for one I'm very prejudice in favor of the Case 1845C. I've seem the abuse the one at the quarry I retired from in April has been treated to and it is coming back for more every day. Won't say it has never broke down but engine, pumps and drive motors are all original! This is a 1989 machine with approx. 6,000 hours when it was ten years old the JCB was bought to replace the Case, last I heard they were talking about getting rid of the JCB but keeping the 1845C Case! I never had to deal with working in sand but like the idea of the tracks so the over-the-tire tracks sound like a good option. Quick look on Google found this: http://www.mylittlesalesman.com/1999-case-1845c-skid-steer-loader-1291375 No knowledge of the outfit selling it but it is in FL! Price does leave room for adding some options like the tracks
Went to the Kubota Dealer today and looked at the SVL75-2. Looks perfect for me but at over $50k just can't justify it. Looked all over for used TAKs and Kubota's but not enough of a price break (in my opinion) for lots of hours and in turn the possibility of a lot of unknown costs going forward. Love the idea of a used TL130 but the used market is very thin for lower hour machines.
I have 300 hours now on a CASE SV300. I had the AC lines warrantied and that has been the only issue. I really like it.
A little over a year ago I purchased a new SR200 Case wheeled skid steer. I don't have a boat load of hour on it but I wouldn't trade for anything else. I did look over the tire tracks but thought I would buy them latter if needed. So far after developing, back filling and landscaping approx 15 acres of our new property, I to date I haven't needed them. Don't rule out Case.
On your land do you ever run the machine through looser sand? I guess that is my dilemma, if I would be constantly getting the machine stuck or worrying about getting stuck. I really like the look of the Case SR220. Thanks for the input!
I have pretty much ruled out a track machine because of cost. Fun to look at though. I'm with you on a wheeled machine with OTT but am concerned about ground clearance on the machine. For example the Case 220 I was looking at only has 8" of ground clearance. Since the highest elevation in area I live in is 25 feet I am not concerned about steep inclines but would want as much clearance as possible. LOOKING!
Our land is black top soil over sandy loam. To say it's beach sand would be lie. Is it clay? No. We had just over 5" of rain in three days and within 12 hours you could walk in the garden without much more that the track of you shoes filling up with dirt. I've never gotten stuck with yet. A freind of mine has a similar size of machine and makes a good living with it. It a bobcat, can't remember the model however it's no more than year or two old. This would be his fifth or sixth machine and will not go to lager size or tracks. When I was looking at skidsteers I talked at length him and used his advice and bought a wheeled machine with radial lift (fewer moving parts to maintain and fix and better visibility), two speed, A/C, Cab and heat of course (unlike Florida, we do see some cold days and nights nights, -40). Now I don't plan on putting on huge hours per year but do not want to be bothered with a lot of depreciating money tied up in a machine. Tracks are nice but cost a lot more upfront and for years to come. My freind has told me he can't count on both hands the amount of times one of his competitors is down for a day to week waiting for replacement tracks. With wheel s you can always plug a hole.lol
Great to hear, thanks!
Yep, terrible machine IMO. Outside of the issues, the design is just poor. Everyone raves about the visibility though which they do have, but everything is a bit of a compromise. Just my opinion though. The ones that hate them here, primarily use them on farms and rack up 1000-3000hrs per year on them. Everything lasts longer and has less issues if its your own "baby" that you run and of course less hours means less wear as well. there's nothing wrong with any of that, just mentioning it as its where my opinion comes from. I wouldn't be worried about ground clearance or humidity causing issues with electronics. Lots of other things to look at otherwise. The Tak wheeled machines are not very popular and fairly new IIRC so I would maybe be a little leary about getting one. Service may play a role in what you want, what dealers are around, etc. I've been very happy with the Cat's now. Used to love the older NH machines though too. Won't say you should buy a Cat or its the best, but if you want a comfy cab with good A/C, find a C/C2 or even a D series machine. The D's of that size are getting closer to your budget, and they are very nice, you will not get hot in that cab. 242 is closest in size to the L220, 246 would be radial like the SR220, maybe a little bigger but its what is available in a C. There's nothing wrong with the B3's but the cab's leave a lot to be desired. You can pick up JCB/Volvo's pretty cheap from time to time as well. The newer ones are pretty nice. The main thing is the hours really, doesn't sound like you will be piling them on so almost any machine will be pretty reliable for you. Sounds like you will be the one running it also which saves a lot on wear and tear.
Anyone have any knowledge of Volvo machines, there are a couple of lower hour machines somewhat near me for sale that look in good shape? Kind of weird boom configuration but I have run a Volvo excavator and it was quite good. I have also found a 2007 NH L180 with only 400 hours near me that looks clean, no ac and the guy wants $18k for it. There just aren't a lot of used machines around me because to construction business here is doing really well. Thanks for any thoughts on these machines.
The newer single boom Volvo machines are built by JCB. Volvo makes great stuff, but these machines basically just have their name. The JCB is a good machine though also and would probably work great for your needs. You can get them for a very good price often enough. Volvo parts prices in my experience are ridiculously high, should be able to get stuff at JCB also though. Both can be a bit slow on parts if they aren't common. How many hours will you be putting on this machine in a year? Is it just for personal use or is it costing you money and business when it's down? I wouldn't be scared of higher houred late model machines that have been maintained and we're not in a rental fleet. The first couple thousand hours there really isn't anything significant that fails or wears out on a wheeled machine. Of course that all depends on how it's been ran and taken care of. Looking at UT and driving it around will tell you a lot. There's some 500hr machines in worse shape than 5,000hr machines.
Another vote for the mostly bullet proof Case 1845C. Best part? You get to keep 15-17K of that 30K and have a machine that does the job.
The skid steer I buy will be for private use (I'm guessing 400 hours/year) and I also own a Kubota L5740 with FEL that could substitute if the machine was ever down (I use the Kubota mainly for bush hogging and finish mowing). I certainly understand about a well cared for machine with higher hours versus a low hour machine that was abused. There just seem to be a few more lower hour Volvo machines around to choose from. I was wondering if that is because people buy them and then turn them over because of problems or issues with operation? Also besides part availability, are attachments able to comingled and things like OTTs available? Thanks again for the help?
I have been looking for a Case 1845C as well, a very interesting one in Illinois for $30k. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=10954697 Looks brand new with only 215 hours, but to far and probably to much money for a 18 year old machine? Will keep my eyes out for one, everything I have read about the 1845C has been good.
sjm1580 - I bought a NH L220 for my personal use, with Camoplast rubber OTT's. It works well summer & winter. The NH's & Case's are essentially the same except for paint color & some rear-end sheet metal. They are made in the same factory in Wichita, KS. The biggest complaint I have, & this applies to all normal twin-boom SSL/CTL's is that getting in & out of them is a PIA. If you work by yourself, as I do, you may find yourself having to do that a lot. Or, getting out & piling some stuff by hand in the bucket or on the forks, as you might be accustomed to doing with your tractor & FEL. You can't do that easily or safely with a normal twin-boom machine. For that reason alone, I would look at the JCB/Volvo machines that have the single boom with a side-entry cab. But only consider the so-called "new generation" models, about 2011 & newer. Getting in & out of them is a breeze, regardless of the boom position, which is completely on the other side of the cab. I don't think the JCB/Volvo machines are as "tough" as Tak's, or any of the other twin-boom machines for constant earth moving, but they have their place, I think, with people who don't move earth all the time & who tend to work alone. And BTW, because of the side-entry cab, you can NOT put OTT's on the wheeled JCB/Volvo machines. If you want tracks on one, you have to buy one of their tracked CTL's. They have the same side-entry cab, but the door sill is higher so the door clears the tracks.
I am sure I would need to put OTT's on so that would rule out the JCB/Volvo. Started looking at the Gehl RT175 track machine, a little less money than the Takeuchi and Kubota, Yanmar engine and a dealer that is not to far from me. Wondering if anyone has any experience with these machines?
I'd check these out long before I'd check the new Gehl track machines: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Yanmar...rack-Loader-/131565591892?hash=item1ea1eb9d54
Curious why not a Gehl, I really haven't heard anything bad about them? Also looking at a very low hour Takeuchi tl220 but a little less horsepower than I wanted.
I have not heard anything good about the new gehl track machines, though I have zero experience with them. There is another site that has some feedback on them and it was pretty bad. Gehl should have stuck with Takeuchi for their track machines, imo.
This is the way I see it also, just bought a new S630 and am very happy with it. The only time you'd get stuck in sand is if you try to turn too sharp because it will dig In. A tire machine will move things around a lot more and leave ruts but if you are carefull it will do just fine with less up front and down the road expense. And the visibilty is the best on this machine out of any similar sized machine I tried.
Thank you for all the help! I bought a Takeuchi TL220 today, looking forward to putting it to work. Thanks again for all the advice and guidance. Steve
:witpic
Photo from the dealer, sorry that's all I've got right now!
Looks nice!!! How many hours?
200 hours, 2011 machine, looking forward to running it and finally sitting in a cab with AC!
Sweet loader! I would be proud to have that one. Should hold its value if you ever need a bigger one. Let us know how it does! Congrats!
I will, thanks!
Nice machine. I bet it will be fun to run and you will stay cool. I'm getting the windows tinted on mine right now I will post how much it helps. Looks like the door opens outward I thought all the Taks had roll up doors.
Thanks and please let me know how the tint works for you, probably need to do that with this machine.