Hello, I am looking for an older machine that has no def or dpf to keep the machine easier to work on myself. I have around 10 acres of mountain, creek land. I have lots of creek bank damage from flooding that I need to repair and would like to create some trails up my mountain for my side by side and a bolder retaining wall. I was thinking maybe a Takeuchi tb135 or tb145 with canopy would fit the bill. Looking for a well built machine which I can still get parts for. It is just for use around my property so if it’s down a week while I’m working on it that’s not a big deal. Any suggestions on those machines or others that would fit the bill. I also have a few 2x2x6 cement blocks that will need to be moved around my bridge so need a machine that can move those (~3600lbs). I think the tb135 is a bit small to do that but once they are moved I shouldn’t need to move them again. I was also looking at IHI machines. Budget is around 20k. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Forums MR! Glad to have you. Taks are solid machines but you might have to increase your budget to $30K or more to find a decent one.
IHI also builds a really good mini ex. Doesn't get the recognition that others do, but the machines are solid.
Does anyone know what year they started adding def and dpf’s? 2013?
Machines this small will not have DEF even 2025 models. IIRC any piece of equipment over 75 HP requires DEF and everything under just some sort of DPF.
Ok right I don’t want a machine which needs to run a regen to clean the dpf.
What size machine would you suggest by them … would a 35 or 45?
Either one would serve you well. I would go with the 45 just to give a little more capacity. What is nice about them, is they are minimalistic machines, everything you need and nothing you don't. I had a 35 sized IHI. The folks at IHI/KATO in Elizebethtown, KY did a great job taking care of me, really good people.
The TB135 was quite popular because United Rental had them for many years. I bought one from United rentals and liked the machine a lot. However, on my own ignorance I did not inspect it well enough. The air filter housing uses plastic clips to hold the cover on. These clips should be inspected to see if the housing is not cracked and the cover has been installed correctly. In my case, there was damage to the cover, and the engine eventually failed. I also had bucket pins that broke a few times possibly from being operated too loosely for too long. I still like Takeuchi's and have three of their mini excavators. Get it with a thumb for sure. The TB135 is easier to find than the TB145. Neither machine is going swing around 3000 lb concrete blocks well, if at all, but they can easily drag them around and position them. 20K buget, plus a few thousand more some new hydraulic hoses, buckets, battery, filters, oil etc. That's my machine in the attached image. No one, including the Tak dealer seemed interested in pulling the engine out for a rebuild.
Yeah browsing around I see many more of the tb135s compared to the 145s … what 3 do you have ? Yeah I just need to be able to move the blocks even it takes a while man handling / dragging ect them with the machine .
Yeah I’m looking for more basic machine don’t need all the bells and whistles… simple that works is what I’m looking for .
you know, I wouldn't look at the cement blocks as your ruler. 3600lb is a heavy weight even for a 10k machine. picking it with the blade down, sure doable. but it's going to make that rig tippy as you rotate. buy the machine the accomplishes 90% of what you are looking for. then rent for the other stuff. I know you said homestead... but a truck and trailer are likely something you already have for that situation.
The 35 sized machine has been the best selling size of all mini excavators for a long time. The rational I think is due to its light enough to move around without a lot of DOT hassle. If this is a farm machine, you likely are not moving it a lot, if at all. I would go for the 45 sized machine for that reason as well.
Yeah I was thinking the same .
My 1st main job is fixing around my bridge and the creek banks before more damage is caused. Here is a pic with a machine a neighbor had so you can get perspective . I felt like that machine was too small and bigger would be better.
I was able to get a 2001 50 ZTS for the price you mention in budget, but i had to do a lot of repair to it for it to be usable. I went that route because I felt anything less than 10k lb was not suitable for my needs. My point is - if you are willing to take a broken machine, you may end up with a great machine that costs a summer's worth of up front time, but will be a great machine the rest of both your lives. but yeah, 10k or 12k if you are leaning way out like that and picking big rocks.
This varies by manufacturer. I don't really care for much past stage 1. When they get it so the computer is integral to the running of the injectors of the fuel management system is computer controlled.... I don't really want to have to own that. simple mechanical injection all the way! but that relegates you to around 2003-4 and older. Still you *can* find equipment with mechanical injection and catalytic converters that meet regulations for their year up till about 2008 at the most. after that it's pretty much all computer controlled and ... yea def sucks, but the real issue - even if the machine is perfect, it won't run without that silicon brain working perfectly.
I thought I read somewhere that the kx121 ect had mechanical injection.
My apologies. I'm not looking to get into specifics. I know very little about individual machines - rather I was trying to make that point that having a computer control everything kind of sucks. I don't like fly by wire sticks - would rather have pilot controls - by that I mean, a pile of plumbing to the bottom of the joy stick rather than a cat-6 cable or whatever is used. Anyway, each make is different. I know the most about the specific machine I have - a Deere 50 zts. I have some older Kubota engines for various things - and they also have mechanical injection. I know that the years 2012-2014 were the big years for interim Tier4 and final T4 for a lot of the manufacturers. Getting a non-T4 system in good shape is difficult now. wait another 10 years and wow is it going to be fun then!
The Tb145 has good reach, and it's better at lifting heavier items. I was actually looking for that size machine but could never find one, and that was several years ago. I now have little TB016, a TB240, and a TB153FR. The TB153FR (6 ton machine) has been nice. You can get a 9 ton TB175 for 30K. For moving big rocks for walls and erosion control a 6-9 ton or bigger machine can be a great choice. The image is of my TB153FR doing Rockery. For doing a trail in the woods, you don't need always that big a machine.
Agreed. A 9 ton machine would be much more useful for what OP describes, if the machine doesn't have to move regularly bigger is better. OP if you have to move it just hire it out as needed. Big jump in production from a 10K lb machine to an 18K machine.
I saw afew tb138fr’s for sale in my budget but I was thinking those would be tippier than say the tb135 /145. How do you like the tb240. I initially started looking at those but I saw dpf and you have to run regen on them and kinda lost interest.
I’m also considering ability to work on the machine … bigger you go heavier pumps/ final drives/ cylinders are and tighter things are torqued and bigger tools are needed.
The 138 has a different swing configuration than does a 135 or 145-240. The 138, 153, 180 have a slide mechanism that rotates more under the cab. This keeps more of the weight in the center of the machine than does a typical swing boom mini ex. You will find they can lift more than can the same size swing boom mini ex. There are more moving parts, more grease zerks, but they have some good capability. Any Taki with a Kubota motor will have a DPF. The Taki's with Yanmar do not have a DPF, at least none that I am aware of.
Ok I found one I’m interested in it’s a Takeuchi tb153fr with 3283 hrs. Seller is responsive and answered all my questions . They are asking 25k and owned it for 2.5yrs … it’s further than I have been looking 340 miles away. A guy he knows can move it for 2k. I though that was a bit high to transport but I like he knows the guy and would make the transaction easier as he can move it the day after I go see it if I decide to buy it. I have a few videos but don’t see a way to attach those . I Attached afew some pics. Any thing in particular to look at or check on. This will be my 1st excavator. It’s a 2014 or 2015 … how can I tell what year it is ? I have the serial number .
Here are afew more pics
That's a nice looking machine for $25K. As far as the year goes with equipment it doesn't really matter the year per say but rather the series machine. For example manufacturers will change the series of a machine mid year and there can be substantial differences in series. That's a little salty on the move price, might want to check around yourself. A towing company can put that on a larger rollback. Other than the normal things to check on a used machine I'll revert to the guys that know more about Taks.
If it has already been said, good. If you can not put your butt in the seat and operate for one hour to make sure everything works, DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY
The 25K asking seems about 7K low, so that's a flag. Most machines that size and hours are 35K. I'm looking to sell my TB153Fr with just under 2000 hours for 42K. There's a lot of use Mini excavators out there now, and it's not a sellers market. I believe he plans to go see it.
He sent me the video of someone running the machine. Pretty clear the back pins under the machine that attach to the slide mechanism, had a lot of movement. I have replaced those pins once on one of my 153's or I should say paid the dealer to do it., they did not have fun with that. The guy running the machine did not know how to pull the boom up along the side of the cab. I think he came to the conclusion that, that machine is not the one.
These are not the droids you are looking for. Op, good on you for stepping away. More people need to do that.
KSSS said it perfectly…the search for a machine continues. I appreciate all the feedback and help.
I have a Bobcat E85. Somehow bobcat figured a way to pass emissions without regen and def. I think that continues in the e88 as well (new model). Just throwing that out there cuz you said you don't like the whole regen thing.
I haven’t looked into bobcat much … what models would be around 9k pounds ? Any models to avoid ?
Looked at a case cx55b … seemed like a good size … didn’t end up buying it but if I found one in better condition I’d jump on it. I think tb145 or bigger machine. Maybe a tb260 if I could find one in my budget . Any other recommendations on 6 ton ‘ish machines to check out? Maybe a kx161-3?
If you look at Kubota KX161-3, or KX080 would fit the weight range you are currently discussing. KX121-3 is a little lighter but still a great size landowner machine. Kubota is very popular in my area and seems to support everything they ever made. Ive been able to get every part ive needed to rebuild my KH191 multiple times. If you end up looking any newer than 2015ish Bobcat and JCB don't use a DPF or regenerate. I doubt youll find anything worth buying that new for 30k though. Lots of older Takeuchi machines still being used around me as well and they seem to still support their products going back pretty far.
I just purchased a new Kubota KX-33. It is a 4 ton machine without DPF. It is their largest machine without DPF.
Thanks for the info
I have seen some bobcats I’m considering going to check out. E50 2017and 2016. So neither have emissions stuff? How do they not need it as other brands ?
Bobcat was, and is, complying with the standards with the system in place. It is not that the machine does not have emissions. Bobcat was just able to get certified without the def and associated crap.
I just read an article about it …“The Tier 4 Bobcat non-DPF solution was achieved by designing an ultra-low particulate combustion (ULPC) engine. The ULPC is accomplished through a specially designed engine combustion chamber that significantly reduces the amounts of particulate matter created during combustion.”
A good piece of info is that bobcat, on there branded Doosan engines uses high pressure common rail. fuel injection. On the early models ~2018, they used Delphi. On the new units, today, they use Bosh. The Delphi system is not as robust as the newer Bosh. All do have problems tho. Of course, my 2019 had the Delphi system. If you get or anticipate getting a Bobcat, watch Howididit on you tube, He is awesome! HowIDidIt Heavy Equipment and Tools are a passion of mine. I love YouTube and all the information provided by the creators. This is my way of giving back to the YouTube community. I enjoy sharing knowledge and alternative ways of doing things. When doing jobs that require special tools I try to show... www.youtube.com
Its not that they dont have emissions it just that they dont use a DPF to achieve the emissions standard. To my knowledge the tailpipe standard is what has to be met but there is no mandatory rule that a manufacturer has to use certain technologies. If you truly want to remain emissions free, 25hp and under has the only modern engine options that dont use any emissions related technology and its not even all of them as the most popular 25hp engine is Yanmar and it uses EGR. You're also only going to find excavators under 4 ton (8,960lbs) with a 25hp engine. Technically speaking and anyone correct me if im wrong, crankcase recirculation, common rail, diesel exhaust fluid, diesel oxidation catalyst, diesel particulate filter, exhaust recirculation, and selective catalyst reduction are all technologies used to increase efficiency and meet emissions standards. Youll see them labeled as CCR, DEF, DOC, DPF, EGR, SCR. They all have drawbacks that many of us dont like.
The modern Yanmar engines, with dpf, are great engines. Have one on my sawmill and in 3 mini x’s. Have yet to have an emissions issue in 5 years of owning. Yanmar makes great mini x’s, I’d add them to your list if you’re still shopping. Only thing I don’t love about them is no online parts shopping. You’ll need to stick with Deere, bobcat, or kubota for that.
Not all increase efficiency. The fact is, aftertreatments clean up emissions after the internal combustion process. Exhaust recirculation certainly isn't installed to increase efficiencies, but rather to reduce NOX. The high pressure common rail systems do burn cleaner, and create more efficiency. From what I have herd this is true. In fact, when I was looking for a machine I looked into yanmar. What turned me away was the local dealers that I called would sell them (specifically an 80 class machine), but would not work on them. Also, they did not stock parts. I don't say this to turn anyone away, I say this so you would check prior to purchase. Would hate to see someone stranded without support.
That's a problem with the smaller manufacturers - dealer network and support. Up until 2-3 years ago our Kubota dealer was the homeowner/gentleman farmer type dealer. They built a new building and service bay tripling the size of their facility. Kubota is a great brand, heck both my 279's have Kubota engines in them but up until now our dealer wasn't set up to support a contractor. Now that we have Cat CTL's and Mini's I am going to stick with them. These folks that bought all the container chinese mini's at auction better familiarize themselves with fabrication. Or I read over in the scrap metal thread that shred is going for $160 a ton.
hey, this Ex is too big and too expensive: https://lewiston.craigslist.org/hvo/d/orofino-2021-doosan-dx225ll-road-builder/7824027661.html , but take a look at the description: 2021 Doosan dx225ll road builder 5,143 hours One owner No liens Regularly maintained Emissions deleted High and wide undercarriage Wedge style coupler 42” Accurate five tooth bucket w/ progressive link thumb Runs and works great, No issues or problems of any kind other then a crack in the front window. Emissions deleted on an excavator. I mean, this is done to diesel trucks all over, and there are companies that do this pretty regular. There may even be kits. Point is - if you get a used/out-of-warranty rig and it's got emissions stuff on it and DPF - where there's a will, there's a way!
hey, there's one of those Takeuchi 135s up here in Seely Lake MT, for 22k. 4.5k hours, was a rental. I have not looked at it.. I think it may be too far, but it offers some hope! That machine is NICE sized, kind of makes a guy think... EDIT: I just looked up a TB135 on RitchieSpecs , lol, my apologies. I was assuming that the numbers were similar to how John Deere, Cat, etc worked. But nope, a TB135 is just too small at 7831lb.
I see a cat 304c cr cab locally for sale and 2019 50g standard arm deere , e50 bobcats … how do they compare ? The Cat is older like 2010 so should be pre emissions. Would these all be able to lift a 2x2x6 cement block ? I was thinking I would be better of in the 12k lb range machine .
6' ecology blocks are in the 3600-3800 pound range. Pick smaller building units if you can. a 50 can shift them around in a pinch, but you need a much bigger machine to do production stacking. Concrete weighs about 150 pounds a cubic foot.
I live on a creek and these concrete blocks got moved during a flood along with the other large bolders /rock . I would like a machine to be able to clean up area and I’m sure flooding will occur again. I would like a machine so I can maintain my property . I see several 2017 e50 bobcats for sale anything to watch with those machines ? I haven’t really been looking at bobcats.
Rent a big machine if you can to do that specific job. Then consider buying a 50.
Very happy with my Deere 50d purchased at auction for 18k 3800 hours. Have put 1500 on it .last summer new rubber and rollers. Never tried to lift cement blocks .Would love to but have not found someone here in the midsouth that sells them. I have a retainer wall that i built out of 900 railway ties when I was young and stupid. Now they are beginning to rot.
3500lb blocks are way out of the realm of a 5 or 6 ton machine. You can get away with shifting them one corner at a time but forget about picking them up to place them. If this is something you'll be doing routinely you're going to end up with a twisted stick in short time leading to early pin demise and separating welds. I deal with lots of rocks and my 8 ton machines are pretty inefficient handling anything over about 3,000lbs. You have to be right on top of it to get a good lift and can hardly move it away from the cab before the machine is tipping. Blade down helps but its hard on the machine. For the money you're looking to spend on a small mini id just find and older 13-16 ton machine for the same price. Machine that size doesn't have to be in good shape to be a homeowner unit unless you're planning thousands of hours use.
Thank you for your perspective. I have moved a few hundred here or there over the years. A 120 can move them but you need to be close. 13-16 tons is better for sure! Especially when the OP is talking about a stream reconstruction. Unless you bench the crap out of everyhing, typically you are reaching out and off-angle and not usually in an ideal situation.
Ok paid a bigger machine to move the big stuff … ended up getting a tb145. I have a question on the tag hook and pin coupler and finding buckets now. Here is a picture of the marking on the coupler qc27 … what do I need to look for when searching for buckets? Also it seems it should be a qc29 according to this chart so I’m confused.
Congrats on getting a machine - looks like a nice rig . is the condition good, show some pictures of the beast itself! I can't help on the coupler, don't have any experience with TAG gear, but the forum will provide assistance, I'm sure
It's the same pin size, which I think is 1.5" dia. The buckets I have for my TB240 work on my TB153FR Wain Roy quick coupler. The buckets for my TB153 are bigger than my TB240. Any bucket brand Wain Roy design with the 1.5" dia will work. When digging in soft soil/dirt, I will sometimes use my TB153FR 12" bucket. I also use the TB153 4' wide clean out bucket on my TB240 for light materials when the machine is on a flat surface. For the TB145 you can go with the QC29.
Ok so the qc29 will be bigger capacity but same width and has the same size pin ? What will the bucket say? Qc29 as one of the lines ?
Not sure what the bucket will say. The PIN SIZE DIA is the most important part on the Wain Roy design. The Q29 2' digging bucket is same with, and taller with more capacity than a Q27 2' digging bucket. The Q29 bucket is also quite a bit heavier. I can move a 2' wide Q27 bucket pretty easily by hand but my 2' wide Q29 bucket is much harder. Q29's will be more expensive. The TB145 can go either way, so look for good deals on used buckets. The more buckets you have the better. The larger buckets may grab larger rocks and logs with a thumb better. Reaching way out down a slope with a clean up bucket, you might as well use a Q27 clean out bucket.
Buckets don't have to be TAG brand. There are a lot of good brands of buckets. For the most part I have been happy with my TAG buckets and the brand. But sometimes the pin is tight, so you need a little sledge hammer to knock it in an out. A trick is to remove the pin clip and then shake the bucket a bit and the pin will fall out.
Contact your local Takeuchi Dealer. The buckets I bought for my TB153FR are the QC29 size. They do work on my TB240. I purchased buckets years ago at a good price from Joe at Phoenix Equipment in PA, 800-282-5381
Your QC27 coupler should be fine.
hey, I don't know if you have any maintenance planned, but if you are pulling pins to replace shims for slop removal... I'd really recommend you replace your steel shims with polyshims . I did this years ago on my sloppy old 410B backhoe and while it's still sloppy, it doesn't clang around at all. I replaced every steel shim I could on my mini, and while I also did pins and bushings, you may not be doing that right now. The makers put plastic shims on all the big equipment and metal ones on the little stuff. I much prefer the sound of metal-plastic-metal rather than metal-metal clang. just my thoughts on it. if you have some real slop in some of your joints, and you have a lathe, do what @materthegreater did on Page3 of his Mecalec t hread. Great use for a cutting board!
Or you could buy a quarter sheet of UHMW in whatever thickness you want. I have pieces of that leftover from cutting boards for deer processing. I make furniture glides and everything else out of that stuff. Believe it or not but it wears better than most steels for chain glides and other things and it machines very good.
The pins/ bushings are pretty tight I looked at a bunch of machines. I’ll keep that in mind for the future … thanks! I do have some other maintenance things to do .
From my research on atachments, I've been told that Wain Roy (TAG) couplers go by the attaching pin diameter. They asked me if it it 1 1/4 or 1 3/4". My TB260 has 1 1/4 pin. TAG bucket is very heavy and strong, but is a sloppy fit on the front. Hope this helps. That attaching pin is the one with the lynch pin, by the way.
I see you have aux plumbing in place to the boom-dipper joint. good deal on that. You can get a thumb if you so desire. that would be worth doing IMHO
Yes I would like to add a hydraulic thumb … that’s on my list . If anyone’s added one I’d like to hear what brand and how it went . Adjusting flow to it ect. Even if I pay a person to add it I want to be sure the welds on the arm are correct and it’s adjusted properly.
UHMW rocks! I cut it on the table saw to make bits and pieces. It does not glue what-so-ever, so plan on countersinking fastners into it below the rub grade a bit. Big rivets work on smaller things. EDIT: it does heat weld though, if you have that soldering iron with the flat doohickey.
I bought a Yanmar Vio35-3 in 2016 with 2900 hours on it. I have put a little over 800 hours on it since with no major problems and have been pretty happy with it. It will pull a 5000 pound 20 foot seacan around the yard but won't lift a 3600 pound block. I used it and a 450C dozer to clean up fireguards that were made with a D7 and 270 size excavator after fires came within 500 yards of my house in 2018. It has been a great machine, easy to transport at 7500 pounds. I think a 35-45 size machine will likely do most of what you want to do. If I were buying again I would look for a 45-50 size more for extra hydraulic flow to run a small disc mulcher or brush cutter.
Turns out, there is glue for UHMW: https://reltekllc.com/Adhesives-for-uhmw (it's only about $500/gallon for the 2 part epoxy resin)
Been using a 1-ton Chinese mini excavator on my property for about a year now. For the money, it's been solid for basic work around my place. For your specific needs though - creek banks and moving those big concrete blocks - you might want something with a bit more reach and lifting capacity. My little machine handles trenching and small stumps just fine, but struggles with deeper creek work. Just my experience so far. Good luck with your project!
You didn't read the thread it would seem. He bought a nice sized Takeuchi - TB145, about 5T. It's an ideal machine for his property, and doesn't have the stigma of hard to get Chinese parts.
That happens a lot people look at the first post and then answer a question that was asked 15 years ago and answered 14 and 7/8 years ago.
We have 2 older Kubota KX121-3 Machines with over 14k hrs, they start back at 0 again after 9999. 10k lb Machine but they run and run with minimal upkeep
Yeah I looked at a kx161-4 and ended up with a tb145
My bad for not reading the whole thread! Yeah, the TB145 is a solid choice. Thanks for the heads up.
For reference, My Kubota 057-5 will lift a 8’ tonka over the side.
huh, how much does one of those weigh, do you know? that machine weighs between 12,300 lbs and 13,100 lbs depending. Operator is supposed to weight 165lb for those numbers, lol.