Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for a new Case Skid steer- Opinions on a 75xt vs SR270 or SV280 / SV290

Georgia Iron ยท 2016-04-05 13:37

Hey Guys, I have a 2002 75xt with 1600 hours on it open station. I am considering replacing it with a new machine. Has anyone used a SR270 / or Vertical SV280 / SV300. Is this an upgrade worth considering at this point? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1KSSS2016-04-05 13:47

    I have not run a 270 or 280 yet. I own a 2014 SV300 and at just under 600 hours has been nearly flawless (had AC lines warrantied for leaking.). I think it depends on what you need. The 280 is 75 hp with a good size ROC. The 300 is bigger hp and more lift capacity. If you don't think you will need more capacity than your 75XT, the 280 will give you more of everything over your 75XT. The 270 is a big Radial machine so loading trucks wont be as productive as Vertical machine. Sight lines while grading will be better as the linkage is more simple. I have the big tire option on my 300 and it makes all the difference, more floatation, more traction and more lift height, of course they cost more replace.

  2. #2Georgia Iron2016-04-07 19:55

    A sv280 was dropped off for me to demo today. I got to test it out some today. I almost wonder how I was able to work with my 75xt. Scooping into a gravel pile the sv280 will take a heaping bucket no problem. It has an incredible amount of power and is well balanced. It seems to be easier to grade gravel with. The cab is spacious and I like the a/c. It lifts to a greater height and will really pop the bucket. This is a 60 k to 69k machine new. So about a 40 to 45 k upgrade. The 75 xt is about 2' shorter and i think it is easier to see out of because it does not have the cab. The new machine is hands down stronger and faster in every aspect. It feels much closer to a track machine with the power it has. I think the 75 xt has a better designed boom near the bucket. The hinge pins on the 75 xt are supported on both sides instead of just on one side. I have never broken a pin or bent anything on my 75 xt and I routinely have the rear tires off the ground due to being over loaded picking up concrete. My dealer says the sv280 is stronger and for me not to worry. My 75 xt has a metal fuel tank instead of plastic and I run off road diesel in it with no problems. The dealer stated he thought it would be fine to use off road diesel in the sv280 but seemed to not be sure. The new case wheels do not have valve stems guards on them like the 75xt does. I think that is stupid. I dont like the new belly pan having less ground clearance and I don't like the fact the boom arms must be raised to open the cab. All that being said I think I will still really like the sv280 it seems like twice the machine compared to the xt. I wonder about fuel usage. I believe the sv280 will run circles around the 75 xt, but I think the 75 xt may be a better machine if you want to work on it yourself. I have not used a skid steer nicer than this sv280.

  3. #3Jeepwalker2016-04-08 13:09

    Looks like a nice machine. The step-over height to get into the cab is quite a bit lower (may even be lower in a non-enclosed cab?), making it easier and safer to get in/out of. The wheelbase looks a little longer which should be better for grading ...but increase tire wear a little. Tire wear might not be a major concern if you only have 1600 hrs on your 75XT, that's a little over 100hrs a year. Spread some sand on asphalt to help yourself out a little.

  4. #4bartelbe2016-04-11 11:06

    The new case are light years ahead of the xt in regards to hp,fuel efficiency ,emissions, features. Yes you do have to still get the loader arms up to tip the cab but with a better assist shock design at least now you can tip the cab without pulling a hernia once the loader arms are up. I have not seen any issues with the plastic fuel tanks or the lower loader pins on the tier4b units but have been seeing alot of scr failure issues but only in cold climates and all where unit that have high low idle time. Do not let these scr equiped machine idle at low idle for extended periods, Get in start the engine and full throttle , it wont hurt the engine. As in diy repairs only thing you wont be able to do is emissions related repairs which more then likely will be warranty shouldnt concern ya. Theres also a small handful of other stuff but chances are if those need replacing youll proabley be bring to the dealer anyway. Everything else is basic nuts and bolts and hoses. The display will visually tell you a fault code and from there most dealerships will give you a path to resolving it. "At least the good ones" .

  5. #5popsiclepete2016-04-11 16:44

    The only Case skid steers that show SCR are the SR270 and the SV300. I was looking through the specifications on the Case CE site as I was unaware that Case was using DEF fluid in ant skid steers. the SV280 shows up as a 74HP unit that as per the specification does not use DEF fluid. All the reading that I've done shows SCR technology needing DEF fluid. I may be wrong, according the wife/warden more times than not, but this interesting. We have a Ford F750 that uses DEF fluid and is prone to freezing at times and can be a PIA. Now if you live in an area that doesn't provide you with a "White Christmas" than you may be alright.

  6. #6KSSS2016-04-11 20:57

    I think you are likely to find this machine to be superior in every way to the 75XT. Servicing the Alpha will be much easier than your used to. I lost you phone number, feel free to call me back. I sent a pm but I am not sure it is working correctly.

  7. #7bartelbe2016-04-12 20:54

    Interesting thing is CNH spec shows certain models having the scr emission's control and I was almost certain that the sr270 does not have scr so after some digging in parts diagrams unfortunately I still cant for sure say what models came with scr other then I know the sv300 since I was working on one today. So OP will have to verify by opening rear door and looking for the Blue cap on the left side. if not there then he has the dpf emissions system. Both have there pros and cons personally I prefer the scr system and I live in Minnesota which is no stranger to sub zero temps def will begin to freeze at 12f but the def tanks have a heater coil in them that runs engine coolant thru it so the ecu will monitor tank temp and will allow sufficient time to thaw before injection, there is also a reverter valve that clears the def fluid out of the system so if it freezes it doesn't cause component damage. The only issue I have been seeing with the scr systems on the skids is in cold climates the operators are low idling the engine and the scr system need high exhaust temps to function properly after prolonged low idling the catalyst loses efficiency and no longer is meeting federal mandates at which point it derates the engine 1st torque and then rpms.

  8. #8KSSS2016-04-12 23:50

    There are quite a few SCR CASE skids out working here. The only issue has been the low idle conditions that Bartelbe mentions during Winter. So far it seems pretty solid system. The 280 I am sure is a DOC only engine.

  9. #9JPSouth2017-01-16 18:39

    Place landas Bump - KSSS, am looking at a Case SV300, seller says 3 years old which would probably make it a 2013 before the new year, big wheel kit, counterweight, 740 hours. I'm more of a Kubota guy, can't find the right skiddy locally so looking for alternatives and this one was brought to my attention by a guy I've worked with who's a trusted source. I can't find much about who makes Case engines, this one is supposedly a DPF unit and has been trouble free. Also, do you know what the hour replacement interval is on the DPF? I know they're a spendy little item and need to figure that into my pricing. Any other impressions you have would be great; I'm just a one-man band with a mini-ex, small dump truck and TLB, which I may sell if the skiddy tends to replace the B21's utility. Thanks ~

  10. #10KSSS2017-01-17 00:46

    I have 900 hours on my SV300. Zero issues with the DPF to date. We have been working all Winter at a potato plant expansion. Due to confined space we have been doing a lot of the material handling with the SV300. We have moved a lot of material. Today it was negative 10 when we got to the job. The machine always starts. Run it hard all day, I saw it regen once. I have a large bucket on it from one of my 465 machines with the backsplash. Holds 1 yard heaped. The machine handles it with pitrun or road base with ease. Loading trucks is fast with this machine, great dump height (aided by the big tires) and it is fast to the top of the lift, so you can cycle very quick. When I replace it I will likely get the new 340 just for a little more capacity, but this machine does everything we ask of it. Zero down time other than the ac hose I mentioned and I don't have to mess with DEF. I would buy this machine again in heartbeat. The engines are Iveco. I have had them in numerous machines and never had an engine related issue. Seem pretty solid. Power is good, I think that they recover faster than the 3.9T did in the older machines.

  11. #11GaryHoff2017-01-18 21:00

    The new case engines are a FPT, which is the parent company of Case and Iveco. They are a solid engine. The DPF is suppose to lase 5000hrs. No T4a skid steers are at 5000hrs as of yet. The only catalysts I have changed are due to turbo failures. The catalysts can also be cleaned. Just remember to work it hard to keep the exhaust temp up. Change the engine oil regularly, and use 0w40 engine oil for cold winters.