Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for Photos I can use in my textbook

profrooky ยท 2014-06-14 14:59

Hello: I'm trying to finish up a textbook I have been working on for a while now. I'm at the stage of getting the illustrations finalized. The book is to be directed at College level students that are working towards becoming Heavy Equipment Technicians. It will explain how all the systems found on Heavy Equipment machines function, how to service them and how to repair them. I have most of my own photos and have a couple other sources but there are quite a few I still need. Right now I'm looking for: A photo of a hydraulic wrench used for tightening and loosening large threaded fasteners. A photo of a plasma cutting machine. A photo of an induction type bearing heater. I will be asking for more as I move through the chapters so any help with this will be greatly appreciated and credit will be given in the book to the owner of the photo. Thanks in Advance

Replies33
  1. #1kshansen2014-06-14 15:36

    Have you thought about checking with one of the companies that make them? Did a quick Google search and found this company: http://torquewrenches.torkworx.com/...series-square-drive-hydraulic-torque-wrenches

  2. #2profrooky2014-06-14 15:50

    Yes I had contacted one company with no luck. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

  3. #3Nige2014-06-14 16:05

    Be careful using pictures from companies Web sites. They may be subject to copyright.

  4. #4theironoracle2014-06-14 22:04

    I own and operate both a hydro torque wrench and a hand held plasma cutter I would be willing to take pictures of both for your project, pm me on Tuesday afternoon if I haven't gotten them to you....TIO

  5. #5profrooky2014-06-14 22:56

    That's fantastic TIO! Let me know what you would like the credit line to say.

  6. #6kshansen2014-06-15 08:17

    I was not suggesting stealing the pictures but contacting the company to see if they would provide one of one of their tools in use. Should have made that clear.

  7. #7profrooky2014-06-15 10:35

    Yes, my publisher has made it clear that I need to have permission for everything I use that's not my own. Some companies are helpful, many are not.

  8. #8Nige2014-06-15 10:53

    Here's a photo of a RAD air-operated torque tool. We use these in preference to hydraulic tooling. View attachment 120390 http://www.radtorque.com/

  9. #9profrooky2014-06-16 22:10

    Hey Nige: The attachment doesn't want to open, the link works though, very intriguing tools, wouldn't have guessed an air powered tool would make that much torque. What's the secret? Lots of gear reduction? Same air pressure as other air tools? How do they compare in price to hydraulic equivalent? I would assume much cheaper.

  10. #10Nige2014-06-17 08:19

    Price-wise they are cheaper than hydraulic, and usually in a mining environment it's easier to get compressed air to a machine than it is electrickery ............ Here's a link to the original thread with the photo in it. HeavyEquipmentForums

  11. #11RBMcCloskey2014-06-17 10:54

    I would also suggest you include Dan Sullivan's Electrical Training, the BEST text and course on automotive/truck/heavy equipment electrical systems I have ever seen. http://brighterideas.com/

  12. #12profrooky2014-06-20 22:03

    Hello: Next request for photos: Would anyone have pics of the insides of: A variable capacity torque converter A torque divider A torque converter with lock up clutch An expanding shoe type of clutch (Linkbelt 118 for example) Once again, Thanks in advance.

  13. #13profrooky2014-06-29 22:58

    Yes I am familiar with Dan Sullivan's website and material and agree it's very informative. I doubt he would be willing to let me use his material without a cost but I will look into it if I need to. Thanks for the suggestion.

  14. #14profrooky2014-07-04 10:52

    Hello: Things are moving along good with the illustrations, I attended a week long course last week at the local Cat dealer and was able to take a lot of photos. One photo I would like to get is one that will illustration some major damage caused by a machine to illustrate the need to respect heavy equipment when working on it. If someone had a photo of a pick up truck that had been run over (preferrably with no-one being hurt or worse!) that would be ideal. I would block out any Company identification before it was published (Company logo, license plate, etc.). Thanks in Advance.

  15. #15Nige2014-07-04 11:20

    Like this you mean..? Not new, it's been all over the net for years.

  16. #16profrooky2014-07-04 12:23

    Hey Nige, Thanks for the reply: Yes, just like that, I have seen that one but I would need to obtain permission from the owner to use it. Anyone know who I might get that from for this one or would anyone have another one? Thanks

  17. #17Nige2014-07-04 13:08

    Maybe what you could do is check out Mining Mayhem - www.miningmayhem.com If you see anything that takes your fancy you could e-mail the site admin asking them to contact whoever submitted the photos to the site to get their consent before using them.

  18. #18profrooky2014-07-04 17:25

    Yes there is some good ones on their site and I have emailed them but didn't get a reply.

  19. #19DJK2014-07-07 19:28

    Did you get one of a bearing heater?

  20. #20profrooky2014-07-11 16:18

    Hi, yes I have a couple now, Thanks DJK.

  21. #21profrooky2014-07-15 22:48

    Hello Again: Next request: Would anyone have a pic of a heavy duty transmission jack? As in the type used to remove a twin countershaft. Thanks in Advance

  22. #22ForceChem2014-07-17 18:35

    Have you tried a Google search, then go to advanced and selecting the option: photos that are free for commercial use and modification?

  23. #23profrooky2014-07-17 22:36

    Hey Force: Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

  24. #24ForceChem2014-07-18 03:58

    There are also quite a few photo sites now that have high res photos for cheap. Some of them $5 or less.

  25. #25ForceChem2014-07-18 04:10

    http://photodune.net/ isn't a bad place. Many photos for cheap. http://www.dollarphotoclub.com/ is another option but it's membership based and you must be approved.

  26. #26profrooky2014-08-04 22:05

    Thanks again Force. I'll see if they have what I'm looking for. Here's a couple more requests............... Would anyone have: 1- a photo of an All Wheel Steer Bobcat that shows it in all wheel steer mode? 2- a photo of the finger tip controls for a Cat dozer? 3- photos of burnt, cracked, warped steering clutch discs and or plates 4- a heavy duty shock absorber 5- Cat haul truck steering knuckle and strut Thanks in advance.

  27. #27profrooky2014-08-08 18:57

    Hello Again: Latest request..... Anyone have pic of a machine with the cab tilted for repairs? For example a Cat track loader. Thanks

  28. #28profrooky2014-08-14 05:39

    Hello: Thanks to all members that have helped me out so far, much appreciated! Just to update as to what I still need............. 1- any machine in all wheel steer mode (Bobcat or rough terrain crane???) 2- machine with cab tilted for repairs 3- a large brake rotor/caliper arrangement (Cat 777 for example) 4- something that shows the destruction/damage a machine can do (rock truck flattening a pickup) 5- picture of a scooptram 6- over heated clutch components (pressure plates, plates or discs) 7- a transmission being removed from a machine 8- a manual steering box 9- cab fan showing squirrel cage Thanks in advance.

  29. #29profrooky2014-10-15 19:42

    Still looking for these.............................Thanks in Advance

  30. #30profrooky2014-11-05 21:23

    Hello All: Just getting into the last stage before publishing, if anyone can help out with the above request that would be much appreciated. Thanks

  31. #31Wburke20102014-11-19 22:24

    Send me a txt to 2147098374 I have a rental store and might be able to help with the all wheel steer and tilted cab on a bobcat track loader and some stuff customers have tore up Walter

  32. #32profrooky2014-11-19 22:31

    Hi Walter: That's great, I'll get a text to you when I get a chance. Thanks

  33. #33Deeretracks2014-11-20 00:34

    I have a Deere 750C in the shop with the cab tilted. I'll try and snap a pic tomorrow.